Active Topics

Notices

I want to use GAIM but everytime I use it its memory footprint is too big. I run out of mem and the unit becomes sluggish.

How are others handling it?
Could it be my buddy list? Could it be it having to load 56 people out of 102 buddies would cause the memory usage to grow?

Let me know your thoughts..

Thanks!

Last edited by skynetos; 2005-12-10 at 01:19.

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Sep 2005 @ San Francisco, CA
I had the same problem. Basically it appears that GAIM spawns a bunch of tasks and quickly fills up all the RAM. The solution was easy for me though:

Use the other package from the Maemo page. There are two versions of GAIM out there. One is very buggy, and one seems to work reasonably well (and can even co-habitate with the browser...barely). The good one is version "v 1.5-dk-1". If you have the other one, here is the link to "v 1.5-dk-1": Working GAIM Port

Uninstall the other one first.
http://www.markandjo.com/markblog

Wonderful, that was it!

The second port has some more features that are not really useful for a mobile version of GAIM with limited memory. Turning off the buddy icons, graphics, sound etc.. is what did it.

The primary port has a smaller memory footprint, has no sounds be default but the application catalog wiki makes that very hard to see that there are in fact two different ports.

I will change the wiki to reflect that.

Last edited by skynetos; 2005-12-10 at 01:21.