Notices

Is there any chance that the Maemo Word Processor can read MS Word files ?

Anyone had experience with this word prg from AbiWord ?

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
The current version on maemo doesn't allow loading of word files. the full version for linux allows it, so I guess it's an import plugin. The abiword is quite a recent addition to maemo, so it's a work in progress. I'm sure doc import will be a feature for it in the future.

Originally Posted by konttori
The current version on maemo doesn't allow loading of word files. the full version for linux allows it, so I guess it's an import plugin. The abiword is quite a recent addition to maemo, so it's a work in progress. I'm sure doc import will be a feature for it in the future.
I have abiword installed on my 770, and it is able to open word files. Some features, like formulas, don't work though.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
Ok. Maybe I just had a messed up installation. Nice to know that it's working for you though!

I'm totally lost on trying to locate the good AbiWord for the 770 and how to install !!

Thanks for helping me out.

Originally Posted by IceTlv
I'm totally lost on trying to locate the good AbiWord for the 770 and how to install !!

Thanks for helping me out.
http://maemo.org/maemowiki/ApplicationCatalog

Thanks for the link.
Installed succesfully, but when opening a wordfile, I see my text but every letter replaced by a question mark (?).
But the layout is right !

I installed AbiWord (/maemo) though my (retail) 770 warned about the possible damage to the device, then OK. Unfortunately my Abiword/770 did not open .doc-files, created only strange and unusable .abw-files and when selecting preferences the program exited. Well, to accept MS-.doc-files and to create at least in .rtf-format is a must, so some waiting for import/export plugins is obviously needed, or what to do.

Also while clicking Preference I had the AbiWord shutting down.
Let's wait for some more improvements !

Originally Posted by Maerra
... created only strange and unusable .abw-files ...
not unusable :
http://www.abisource.com/download/
abw is the file format for abiword
install abiword on your computer, you can convert doc in abw...
It's just a temporary solution, i think the future release of abiword on maemo will open doc, open document format and others