Active Topics

Hi,

So i saw this PR1.3 release (through this forum) -

http://maemo.cloud-7.de/HARM/N9/1.3/

There is a cdrom.iso file, pointing to the sources

Can anyone point me to any links/tutorials on how to build that source in a cross-compilation environment and get a flashable image for N9 ?

To be clear, i have a debian machine, and i have extracted the cdrom.iso, and there are a bunch of tgz source files, but no instructions on how to setup a cross build environment for arm/build a flashable image (with kernel/bootloader etc).

Any pointers will be helpful

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to tarkshya For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
ARCH=arm make clean
ARCH=arm make mrproper
ARCH=arm make <your_defconfig>
ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- make
ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- make modules
ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- INSTALL_MOD_PATH=. make modules_install

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
There is a crosstool environment. But I don't think that you can build from that cdrom image a complete firmware image. These are only the opensource bits and until now there are no custom images for N9.

Scratchbox as the cross-compilation and development environment

Scratchbox as the cross-compilation and development environment manual installation.

Use existing ones go best for the docker image:

Docker Image
Vbox image

Power Kernel sources and instruction.

Interesting

It could be that when you use google or our search that you will get more informations. So use my links as starting point.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the links. Though i am trying this kernel compilation thing after around 7-8 years.

Here is my understanding

@juiceme - I think that builds just the vmlinuz kernel (+modules etc). I am fine with that portion.

What about the rootfs ? Handset UX, x11, qt etc (and the connected launch/init scripts, homescreen et al.) ?

@halftux
I am still going through your links. From a cursory glance the docker/vmimage stuff seems they are for compiling meego apps/sdk Probably you meant the same when you said that it cannot build the full firmware image ? I may be wrong here (correct me).
searching for Sailfish - am not sure how much of it is related
The mer link looks more promising (though long back i saw it when to N900/n9 with mic/obs etc, need to read again i think).

There are some tizen links with mic, but obs replaced by gbs. Scratchbox seems like a dead project now, no one working on it. Need to check mer's scratchbox.

Will go through it. Thanks for the pointers.

Last edited by tarkshya; 2018-02-10 at 22:09.

Originally Posted by tarkshya View Post
What about the rootfs ? Handset UX, x11, qt etc (and the connected launch/init scripts, homescreen et al.) ?
The rootfs can be created, and flashed, it isn’t too difficult, but also not easy. Like a custom kernel, it will put your device to open mode (which isn’t bad, but will give you a disclaimer screen. - which can also be removed if done right)

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=85297

For inspiration

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
@nieldk is right, unfortunately there is no ready-made set of scripts to make the userspace. The cdrom with sources contains just that, a dump of the open-source bits used to build Harmattan and no way to actually build it

I myself have only ever built the kernel, hence my mistake in understanding that's what you wanted to do.

@nieldk
I saw that link of unpacking bin files. Right now i don't have an N9 (but other hardware/arm boards), that UI stuff in the bin files will only work directly if you have an N9 (or the device related to that firmware). Else i need to recompile UI stuff for my own hardware, with my own ui libs. Hence searching for the UI code.

Any idea where i can find the sources for Handset Ui ? or was it closed source ? Any updates or code base thats close to the PR1.3 in looks/appearance ?

@juiceme
No worries, still trying (searching) to get the Handset Ui sources (along with launcher etc), either PR1.3 [or older or newer version that can directly work with PR1.3].

The Harmattan UI is unfortunately totally closed, AFAIK.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
The Harmattan UI is unfortunately totally closed, AFAIK.
Actually, the MeeGo Touch Framework used to be found here https://meego.gitorious.org/meegotouch (fork, someone?) that is used in Harmattan on N9 is open source. However, certain components are not, like mcompositor and swipe gesture.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
@nieldk

Yups, you are right, i too saw that earlier. Not accessible though.

Last edited by tarkshya; 2018-02-12 at 08:47.