Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Joerg, nice to see you participating in the thread again, it has been tumbleweed for a while. Communication is key, I have to admit I had pretty much written the project off!

Best of luck!
Exactly!
I know communication on IRC was/is alive. But I guess very few peeps here follow there.
So communication here, tmo, is the key (besides neo900.org).

Nevertheless I personally do not expect that device to appear before BER . Still eagerly waiting but not holding my breath, anymore (looks like I have to go the evil way ... soon (TM)).

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Seems that's pretty much what maemo-devuan is all about.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ravelo View Post
...which features of this phone might be most interesting or most important for buyers...?

I hope you share your ideas on this topic.

... usage of linux package management on your phone (apt-get)?
.√.. enough horsepower to compile on device .√.
... privacy? (given Security we can probably hack privacy ?)
.√.. security? (as no spyware devices)
.√.. choice between multiple OSes?
.√.=.√.=.√.=.√.=.√.=.√.=.√. default no Android?
... Maemo?
.√.. root access out of the box?
... hacking and tinkering experience?
.√.. using standard linux apps?
... ability to run current linux kernel for long time?
... standard linux desktop like experience?
... updated N900 with more than enough RAM compared to almost no free RAM on N900?

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Feb 2015 @ Poland
I wonder what price will be on kickstarter, because it was too much for me in preorder.

Anyway I love Nokia n9 I use daily. Harmattan is much better than Maemo5 IMHO. I got also N950 and that's best design of smartphone ever.

What I like in N900 is camera slide cover(n9's lenses are all the time getting dirty in trouser's pocket), embedded stand and N900 has way better support for keyaboard/volume buttons[because it lacks multi-touch].
And n9 OLED screen is superior to n900/n950 TFT.

Unfortunately there's no cheap n950 leftovers like n900 (because of procr, I bought only one, otherwise it definitely would be my daily driver...)-;

Last edited by badpixel; 2017-07-22 at 17:37.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to badpixel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by badpixel View Post
I wonder what price will be on kickstarter, because it was too much for me in preorder.
And also, how will all of the additional nearly mint condition N900s be sourced so that more Neo900s can be produced? From what I've read to date, it seems like this has been a major challenge and the team still doesn't have enough to cover the existing orders, let alone increased demand following a kickstarter.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
What makes anybody think a kickstarter was to increase the price for the device?
I do not think anyone was accusing you of that. Nor do i think anyone is accusing you of anything nefarious. I know I am not. I think it's more of "biting more than you can chew" and your pride preventing you from admitting it, even to yourself.

leaving other points of criticism in your post aside, this is particularly incorrect.
With all due respect, sir, I think the phrase you were looking for is sorry. After four years of leading your customers down the garden path, you are in no position to offend them. Even if they are complete idiots and completely wrong and you are completely right, you are still obliged to apologise and explain any misunderstanding from the position of humility. Using phrases like "your post is particularly incoherent" can be seen as a sign of arrogance which is rather unbecoming in your position.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
And also, how will all of the additional nearly mint condition N900s be sourced so that more Neo900s can be produced? From what I've read to date, it seems like this has been a major challenge and the team still doesn't have enough to cover the existing orders, let alone increased demand following a kickstarter.
Yes, this is a real Achilles Heel for the project. Their total production run is limited to the number of "mint condition N900s" that they have now, plus the number of current N900 owners who wish to go with their board-only option. If they don't have enough N900s in hand now, and they can't entice additional N900 owners to go board-only, then the Kickstarter campaign will essentially be asking those who have pre-ordered already to send in more money, still with no product in sight.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
leaving other points of criticism in your post aside, this is particularly incorrect.
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Using phrases like "your post is particularly incoherent"
Before this escalates, I'd like to point out that Joerg said incorrect, not incoherent! It's late...

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
Please don't escalade to the left or right. The N900 has been a wonderfull device and for the next 50 years there will be nothing like that again. It's like ancient and forgotten technology.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jellyroll For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Before this escalates, I'd like to point out that Joerg said incorrect, not incoherent! It's late...
While both has come across bit hostile I think pichlo had a point.
I mean neo900.org should answer questions clearly. The question was raised after the word kickstarter appeared. After such a long timewe forgot that it was planned and forgotten what it was for. And thoughts pop-up: What the ... , do I need throw even more money? Why that? What the ... are they doing with the funds?

So instead of accusing the other of stupid question, more or less. Neo900.org should aim to describe and explain clearly and effectively what is the status. Every answer should almost fit in a SMS

See my post as feedback. It's not my intention to ignite a fight. While I hope this project succeeds, I simply can't afford it myself. So I my emotion are not as high, as I am not part of it...
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!