Hi!

If you have your n900 and are wondering about how to get your SMS transferred to your Jolla, here's the solution: jolla-morse. Without warranty or guarantees, of course

But there are screenshots!

Install GlogArchive on the n900 through the package manager. Export CSV. Transfer it to your Jolla's Documents folder.

As jolla-morse is not available in the store, at this time at least, you can build it yourself and deploy it on your phone.

Anyone interested in making it support n9 exports etc?

EDIT 2014-01-07
RPMS: https://github.com/mjtorn/jolla-morse/tree/master/RPMS
Current version: 0.0.3-2

Last edited by mjtorn; 2014-01-07 at 07:44.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to mjtorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Thx. Will it be possible to transfer the other way around jolla --> n900?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Thx. Will it be possible to transfer the other way around jolla --> n900?
I wasn't thinking of this, but it may be possible. The code isn't necessarily pretty all the way through, as I never did c++ or qt before in my life, but it should be expandable nonetheless!

What needs to be done is a dump format for Jolla (remember, Morse supports only the GlogArchive CSV now!) and an export into something the n900 can import.

I'd be more interested in having support for other exports than GlogArchive to get into the Jolla, but it's all open-source and I'm open-minded

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by mjtorn View Post
As jolla-morse is not available in the store, at this time at least, you can build it yourself and deploy it on your phone.
and how exactly should I do this with just basic terminal/linux knowledge? I am no developer and I would appreciate more detailed instructions how to "build it myself"

Originally Posted by xkkkx View Post
and how exactly should I do this with just basic terminal/linux knowledge? I am no developer and I would appreciate more detailed instructions how to "build it myself"
Sorry, my bad! Too easy to get distracted by all the coders.

Have an RPM: https://github.com/mjtorn/jolla-morse/tree/master/RPMS

But please, really, do take backups first.
The version 0.0.3 is what I used and I ran a quick check to see it still worked.

Are you going to try it out?

As for future versions, I accidentally broke the git master now. The current code works great on the emulator but I had to restore a backup on my phone just before releasing, so no release after all. No promises when :<

The new feature will be phone history importing. The downside is that the n900 doesn't store durations, though it would have the schema for it, so every phone call will look like one second long.

Hopefully that'll get done early next week.

Anyway, version 0.0.3, rpm, up there on github. Hope it turns out ok!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mjtorn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xkkkx View Post
If you, or anyone, wants to use this, please use version 0.0.3-2 from
https://github.com/mjtorn/jolla-morse/tree/master/RPMS

I always deployed it from the SDK-IDE, right? What happens is it gets run from a different directory! The code I was using to find the csv assumes the cwd is home, because that's what it is via the IDE. Oh well.

Deployment and usage instructions:
  • Transfer RPM file to phone. No matter if it's over mtp or scp or what.
  • Use File Browser (from Jolla Store) to look at the file
  • In the file view, pull down the menu and choose install
  • Transfer CSV to phone. It has to end up in Documents/
  • Take backups and enter airplane mode and remember all the safety
  • Run the app
  • Feel nostalgia over your old text messages

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mjtorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 17 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Ireland
I tried it yesterday, built and deployed from IDE, imported messages fine. Thanks.
I did notice that it only discovered the .csv file when run from IDE, you've that fixed.

Once you have it updated will I be able to re-run it on the CSV to get call history? without duplicate SMS imports?

-Coley.

Originally Posted by coley View Post
I tried it yesterday, built and deployed from IDE, imported messages fine. Thanks.
I did notice that it only discovered the .csv file when run from IDE, you've that fixed.

Once you have it updated will I be able to re-run it on the CSV to get call history? without duplicate SMS imports?

-Coley.
Thanks a lot for trying it out! Man.. awesome

Yeah, that's my goal. Be advised that the master HEAD worked on the emulator but as I ran on the phone I got two issues.

First the duplicate checking broke down; I got duplicate SMSs in. This works in 0.0.3, I tried it out on the phone.

The calls ended up in a weird order. As I use unordered data structures like QSet in the code I sincerely hope the calls app doesn't ORDER BY id...

If anyone has clues where to read the call app sources, if it even is open source, I'd love to look at it!

One more thing. I got a stray SMS imported with the latest git master. I may have inadvertedly fixed a bug, though something else broke. The stray SMS looks as if there was clock drift or something, it's two seconds off from where I'd expect it to be. So it might be worthwhile to run the next release just in case, as soon as I get to work on it and get it released.

Thanks!

There's a lead on the bug (which causes duplicates to be inserted) at the moment but it's not a very trivial thing to fix.

Options are to
a) do less of this in memory, which has a performance detriment but should be ok.
b) split the work by type, which still runs the risk of breaking down but might work
c) split the data into chunks, which might break completely on multi-uid groups whose uids are in different chunks. Surely fixable, but more annoying to code up

Let's see. The release is still ok to run, this is just a heads-up.