Such a sad moment... i stood on my poor N900 the other day which totally screwed the screen! (screen is just black)

Now luckily i did a backup before upgrading last week so have all my contacts n that but before i send it off for repair i really wnt to backup my pictures and videos. I have tried connecting it to my pc but cannot seem to get it into transfer mode. I have tried just pressing the screen in the area were the mass storage option normally appears but still nothing, although the screen does give feedback so it does sense the 'touch'.

Is there any other way I can get it into transfer mode without actually pressing that option on the screen?

Thanks

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Just plug your phone (while it's turned off) into the USB on your PC, it will act like a removable (usb) media.

You can access your files with it

give it a try

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Another option is to connect it to a TV, that way at least you see what you are doing.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Another option is to connect it to a TV, that way at least you see what you are doing.
Ah smart...

If this works and your touch screen is broken, you can launch a terminal to install and configure sshd, from there you can SCP in from a PC to get your files.

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on May 2008 @ London
I have managed to break my screen in a different and probably more creative way. I have a refurbished model thanks to the three year warranty. Unfortunately each time I accidentally dropped my n900 one of the back screws went missing. The final and most deadly time I dropped my N900, It split in to and the cable connecting the screen to the back part was slightly chipped rendering the phone near unusable. When I turn on the N900 the Notification light works fine and the phone vibrates when I touch the screen as normal. Also the keyboard lights up as normal.

What I am really trying to do is Back Up the phone by any means necessary.

Please give me some help and advice. I have ssh installed but it is probably not activated as can not connect.