Notices

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Manitoba, Canada
For any of you out there that enjoy 'tricorders':

http://masterreplicas.com//store/sta...tar_trek/9120/

Anyone interested in chipping in money to buy one of these for me?

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle, WA USA
That is a lot for that thing, IIRC there is one out there that actually does some stuff and it was considerably less expensive than that .
Homebrew OTG cable and power injector.

wv9k, are you volunteering to buy one for me? Thanks! Much appreciated!

Dare

P.S. My birthday is on April 19th. Do you think I will get it in time?

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle, WA USA
Heh, I wish :-). Was lucky enough to afford my n800 :-).

The one I was talking about apparently has been discontinued with the company out of business. Might as well go for one of the Playmates dummies.

Had one of those for years now with the idea of hacking it into something useful, but I never seem to get around to it :-(.
Homebrew OTG cable and power injector.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Cute toy. But it really makes it obvious that Star Trek got it wrong. Your faithful reproduction of the interface makes it clear that, as interfaces go, the tricorder's interface really stinks. Lots of big, unnecessary buttons, a tiny, tiny screen, and a generally poor layout really makes it clear that the tricorder is only useful as a prop in a TV show; it would flop as a real-world device. Strangely, they got it "right" with the on-board computer interfaces (touch-screen LCARS), but the tricorder is all physical buttons and almost no screen!

Star Trek should have had pocketable all-in-one devices, like what's happening in the real world. We were watching Bourne Ultimatum last night, and one of the toys caught my eye -- guns with wireless streaming cameras and pivotable LCD screens built-in. Something like this on Star Trek would probably sound like:

"Away team, set your phasers to record."

Also, there's a little mouse pointer floating around on the screen in your simulation.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
qole: I agree with you 100%, and said much the same thing in the README file that I included with the simulator. I definitely experienced the conflict between being 'faithful' and 'useful'

I had never noticed the mouse cursor before -- if I ever create an updated version, I will try to deal with that -- all in the name of 'accuracy'

The links seem to be dead. Are there any new links?

sickocity:

Sorry for the old links -- I have updated them now in the initial post. Enjoy! Let me know what you think of it

Hey! That looks neat!

ThatN800Guy:

Glad you are interested. Let me know if you try it. Just realize that it is not a 'productivity' application. Also using it will probably make you appear nerdy and/or geeky