Originally Posted by vitaly_repin View Post
N900 is the only communication mobile device I use.
And pictures I have put to flickr were screenshots from my device which I made yesterday evening (Helsinki time).

I do not use it in US, as I do not live there. it could be the problem. Point taken. I contact our US guys. Just to clarify. What is your operator?

This is the ONLY way to release the usable consumer product in general and usable software in particular.
thanks for your quick and well intentioned response. sorry for my brusque reply earlier. i would be very happy if this device meets my needs.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sxr71 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by drm View Post
I think it’s very useful to have sync with Microsoft. Google it would be nice too. But what I don’t really understand is why don’t we have sync with ovi calendar and ovi mail?
I have not checked the calendar, but Ovi email is coming over fine to my N900... or am I missing something deeper here?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by stobbsc View Post
...they have said that google mail, contacts, calendar and TASKS will be syncable with the N900...
I've no idea with whom you've spoken, but as Google doesn't yet support task synchronization on their end, there's not much chance of Nokia getting it working for the N900 at this time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 320 | Thanked: 763 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Espoo, FInland
Originally Posted by sxr71 View Post
thanks for your quick and well intentioned response. sorry for my brusque reply earlier. i would be very happy if this device meets my needs.
Thank you for the warm words. Could you clarify a little bit more the case with the inability to create new account of type "Mail For Exchange" (MfE) from Maemo mail client? This use case is quite important.

1. You don't have MfE account configured in the device, do you? (I guess, you do not)
2. You start e-mail application, select "new account" and observe the welcome screen.
3. You press "Next" and wait until the checking service availability screen is finished and observe the account details screen (Region = "USA", Service provider = "Other")
4. You select the list box item "Other". The list of all the available account types is shown to you. But it looks different from this screen - it does not contain neither "Mail For Exchange", neither "Nokia Messaging"

Is it the right scenario?

And one more question - which company is your cellular operator?

Thank you for your time and happy Thanksgiving!

P.S. While preparing this message started to be a little bit confused - what was the reason to put "Other" as a default selection? Sounds too geeky as typical user will not use this. Mmm. OK, yet another discussion with UI team.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vitaly_repin For This Useful Post:
P.S. While preparing this message started to be a little bit confused - what was the reason to put "Other" as a default selection? Sounds too geeky as typical user will not use this. Mmm. OK, yet another discussion with UI team.
What about never hiding the MfE account type, even if the user already has it set up?

Instead, if they already have it, pressing it should say "You already have account <Name> set up."

That way, the option never disappears and no confusion.

Posts: 320 | Thanked: 763 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Espoo, FInland
Originally Posted by johnnyrockets911 View Post
What about never hiding the MfE account type, even if the user already has it set up?

Instead, if they already have it, pressing it should say "You already have account <Name> set up."
Bad UI. Users don't like such statements.

That way, the option never disappears and no confusion.
This is not a rocket science to implement the logic of appearing and disappearing of this item :-) That's why a lot of my colleagues are now trying to understand what has happened in the case described above.

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Bad UI. Users don't like such statements.
They like them a lot more than what appear to be randomly disappearing UI elements. Besides which, what if you've already configured MfE but you want to re-configure it to talk to a different server? It doesn't help if the options you used the first time round have gone away.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post:
i have heard, that you wont be able to sync if your sysadmin enforces a non numeric-only password policy on the server - i heard this was because you can only enter numerals in the pin entry unlock screen - is this true?

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by sxr71 View Post
See what I mean by reading comprehension? If you had an adequate level, youi would know that setting up Exchange mail is the first thing I do when I get a phone. Just to make sure you understand, a new phone does not have accounts configured yet.
Wow. Someone needs to take a deep breath. I was trying to be nice and help you. the fact is the setup is there. I'm using the device right now, and it was all in the manual. I certainly comprehended that. we've shown images of the option, so its there. Is your vision adequate enough to see you've made a simple omission?

Originally Posted by fusi View Post
i have heard, that you wont be able to sync if your sysadmin enforces a non numeric-only password policy on the server - i heard this was because you can only enter numerals in the pin entry unlock screen - is this true?
No, it is not; not on my device.

Tags
activesync, certificate, email, exchange, fremantle, ignore tex14, maemo 5, mail for exchange, mfe, n900, provisioning, sync, thanks vitaly!