Posts: 601 | Thanked: 549 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Redditch, UK
jailbroken iPhone, running on Android, here we all come......

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
but without a big supporter...
What about Intel?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
The problem with Nokia isn't just that they've failed to execute on all of their various platform plans but at the same time they've fallen behind on the *hardware* side too!

The old-school Series-Sxx candybars are what keeps some revenue still flowing in but they've simultaneously ignored the maintenance and development of that key platform...

The idea of upgrading the headline-grabbing N-series Internet Tablets into an affordable first-class product line as cooperative and symbiotic "companion devices" for Symbian phones (with proper data/function integration) - with crucially early entry to market and to create developer- and userbase! - while at the same time designing those ultimate high-end tablet-phones... I guess it's getting too late for that. Other manufacturers don't have the existing userbase to take advantage of so there have been no attempts at coming up with fantastic new basic phones that seamlessly integrate with an affordable multi-user tablet, but it saddens me that Nokia hasn't even been able to come up with the goods separately...

The side-tracking jump to the MeeGo train with the x86-pushing behemoth never made sense to me but I could see that platform as rescueable. Another side-tracking jump into the arms (no pun intended) of yet another struggling behemoth (and one that is obsessed at *owning* their proprietary platforms) would for me be the end of it.

My currently rather uneducated opinion is that Nokia could still soldier on with its own platform and services *if* they can focus increased engineering efforts towards it and if they actually know what they're doing.

However their best chance of beginning to regain some marketshare within a year or two would entail deep and successful cooperation between the various genuine Linux-based platforms (in order to get developers on board). Nokia is no longer in any position to dictate terms to anyone, but if the genuine Linux-based platforms remain separate and fragmented (wrt. developers and app-hungry masses) there will only remain two advanced mobile platforms with *mass-appeal*.

Edit: I deserve to be shot together with Nokia's board for being late with my totally useless answer...

Last edited by Peet; 2011-02-11 at 08:38.

it all starts here http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/...ay-on-the-job/

yeah, N900 with Maemo and C6-01 with S^3 could be my 2 last Nokia phones. both serves great for me. let's see if N900 can have Meego and C6-01 can have S^4 update, if they don't, then I'll have to dump them and switch to other phones

The Following User Says Thank You to figaro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
What about Intel?
that's why I stated "a big supporter", not for example "the biggest supporters"
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 219 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Nokia announces that Symbian will be shipped with approximately 150 million devices before coming to end-of-life. It's not the end-of-life for Meego, but not good news. With all the lack of support for N900 I still enjoy using the device, so it's a sad day for people expecting a Meego smart phone.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
My collection of positive point:

-Not wasting my time on obsessing about Maemo/Meego/Nokia translates into more free time.

-I don't have to continue learning C++ now that MS development tools are replacing Qt. Even more free time.

-Nokia will employe lot less finns from now on. That means that Nokia won't hog such a huge portion of gifted and educated people and misuse their talents. That's good for Finland's macroeconomy.

- I'll save on travel expenses, now that I don't have to travel to Meego Summit Finland in April.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by leetnoob View Post
bloomberg says nokia stock dropped a massive 10% after the announcment
And it should go even worse. Is Nokia renouncing to their own platform of services and development tools?

They say they will use MS and do not mention anything about OVI or Qt.

So future of Nokia is become a cheap manufacturer? Do they think they can compete with HTC, Samsung and others that way?

Everyone is building their own ecosystem: Samsung with Bada, HP with WebOS and Nokia is shooting in her foot.

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ArturRubinstein View Post
Seriously guys, what's so wrong about a Nokia Smartphone with Windows 7?
No system-wide file manager
No Bluetooth file transfers
No USB mass storage mode
Limited third-party apps availability
No Flash or Silverlight support in the browser
Too dependent on Zune software for file management and syncing
No video calls
No custom ringtones
Music player lacks equalizer presets
No multitasking
No copy/paste
No DivX/XviD video support (automatic transcoding provided by Zune software)
No sign of free Bing maps Navigation so far
No internet tethering support

Taken from http://www.techknots.com/mobiles/wp7-limitations/. Although MS has spoken of improving the OS through updates, it's still hard to be optimistic... Compared to the functionality of the N900 this is a huuuge step back.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to aanckar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Hey, since the press release references "Meego Computers" -- not Meego Smartphones -- I hope that means I can expect a replacement for my WiFi-only, 4"+ N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org