Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
I was taking a look if the Sailfish OS development for the Pro1 was documented somewhere, and found some sources. I don't think this has been posted here before.
They really are moving fast, with already github repos and mer OBS setup from quite some time !

The source code seems to be located there among a few repositories : https://github.com/sailfish-on-fxtecpro1

Some comments on the mer wiki : https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Ada...bris/FxtecPro1

And the OBS project : https://build.merproject.org/project...el:hw:fxtec:t5

It looks like the device codename is "t5". Not sure if this is an official codename from Fxtec or it was set by the porters.

I have not yet found where the android source code comes from.

Not sure how we could help with the port before having the device in our hands ? Maybe could be the topic for a new thread.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Originally Posted by Koiruus View Post
I am just wondering, what would be the use case where resistive screen and stylus are must? .... .
1. Drawing with pressure sensitivity.
2. Using when fingers are wet/sweating
3. Using when you have glove on.
4. Not cracking when phone is in the pocket or dropped.
5. Using any object to interact with (a real pen, a tooth brush )
6. when vncing into a desktop machine via GUI

Neg for me are:
1. No multitouch
2. ..... umm that's it really ...

x

Last edited by xman; 2019-08-16 at 04:02.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by xman View Post
1. Drawing with pressure sensitivity.
2. Using when fingers are wet/sweating
3. Using when you have glove on.
4. Not cracking when phone is in the pocket or dropped.
5. Using any object to interact with (a real pen, a tooth brush )
6. when vncing into a desktop machine via guitar

Neg for me are:
1. No multitouch
2. ..... umm that's it really ...

x
1. Can be done with Capacitive screens too. See the Note series
2. Again, this is possible with (expensive) capacitive screens
3. I use my S8+ with gloves on.. What are you talking about
4. Using glass has NOTHING to do with capacitive screens. Look at the Nintendo Switch. It has a capacitive screen, but doesn't use glass!
5. Again, possible with capacity screens (Samsung Note series)
6. ??

I don't understand why people still don't know about these things....
We're in 2019..

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
4. Using glass has NOTHING to do with capacitive screens. Look at the Nintendo Switch. It has a capacitive screen, but doesn't use glass!
6. ??

We're in 2019..
I do actually understand a lot of things. But never claim to know everything.

1. True, but very few. vers. most if not all the resistive screen can support this.
2. So would be interesting what percentage can support this well. Expensive is not a great answer since it will exclude many people.
3. That's awesome for the s8. I'm talking about not needing special gloves. So if you just got off the ski slope and can use your s8 with thick winter glove with out special touch area ... I would be very surprised and learn something new.
4. You make a great point here. However how many phones that are capacitive are using plastic these days beside folding ... and maybe super low-end.
5. Hold up you can use a toothbrush on a note to make selection and draw? I don't remember seeing or hearing this. Would love a link in a video.
6. Oops, miss the corrections. updated it thanks. Meant hit small point when using VNC to remote into your desktop.

I understand you have very strong options on Capacitive and Resistive. And I'm not saying that we should go back to older tech. The iPad with the pencil has proven to be very versatile. If they added it to an iPhonePro it might even be more popular that the note

But as good as capacitive is in many areas, it has it flaws like most tech including resistive.

The list was to put down capacitive as much as just answer a question that was asked

Cheers
x

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 493 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ France
If you need to draw with precision, just get a Samsung Note 9 or higher.
[...]
[...]
[...]

Probably because not everyone is a Samsung zealot, more so on TMO (or so I thought ).

In any case, my initial comment (that unwillingly started this whole resistive vs capacitive feud) was merely addressing my craving for that kind of screen, not that it'd be possible in this day and age (for whatever reasons), not that it should be a must, and definitely not that every single person on earth should be using it if it was widely available...

Now, would it be available as an alternative for some promising HWKB phone to come, I'd be all over it
Obviously, it won't happen, so I'll make do with what I can get, and carry on dreaming...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to British For This Useful Post:
Posts: 134 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ France
6. ??

We're in 2019..
Actually, there are other smartphones with whiches this usecases are possible, like some Nokia Lumia. However, this is only possible on specific smartphones, design with the right capacitive screen. With resistive screens, it's usual, you have it with all of them. It's not an expensive feature.
Yeah, we are in 2019, so in order to have all the modern and usefull features, you have to build a smartphone from 5 others, or to accept to have some drawback, like having WindowsPhone as the smartphone OS

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Astaoth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Price is related to the volume of production IMO. None of those technologies are cheaper in a way that price would be THE factor.
But capacitive is more sensitive, the way we type today would not work on resistive. Not to mention swype keyboards. And glass on capacitive does not degrade image as does plastic layer of resistive screen. And the more sturdier that film is the more it degrades the image.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
I believe Kinggo's point is relevant. I do like and miss resistive screens, and I do prefer keyboards to type on smartphones, but it is true that resistive screens are not necessarily the most convenient for thumb typing. The fact that keyboards disappeared is a different issue but it certainly had some impact on the capacitive/resistive war. Resistive screens together with keyboards were used in different ways than today's capacitive screens, and that is where they were really shining. Some phones without keyboard did have resistive screens too, but typing could get frustrating sometimes, more so than capacitive screens.

My opinion is no screen is convenient for thumb typing anyway so I tend to prefer the other advantages of resistive screens, but most people would consider that they don't need a dedicated keyboard and that their capacitive screen is comfortable enough for typing.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Screens were used for typing way before HWKs or capacitive screens.
And typing on handspring visior WITH A STYLUS was not better, more natural, way practical............ than it is using capacitive screen today. But it was what was available back than And HWR. Which I do miss.
Basically, you are reaching for most pointless examples that nobody cares for just to prove that they exist.
I never broke a single screen in my life and my journey with gadgets started some 25 years ago.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
I also had my card declined, and then immediately frozen due to "card fraud", which took some sorting out over the phone. I wish F(x)Tec could find a different payment processor.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit