Active Topics

Originally Posted by slashd0t View Post
The best part is, you totally can't blame Nokia for not allowing WP8... This is what happens when you put the entire future of your company in control of another company. Microsoft can do whatever they want and Nokia has NO CONTROL over it.

Nokia is so screwed it's not even funny.. They made a deal with the Devil and will pay for it over and over again..
Although I am the largest fan/supporter of Maemo, the above is not completely true, although we all pretty much knew that Windows 8 was coming, and the Lumia/Windows 7.5 processors would probably not handle the workload or be compatible...

The N9 will live on while these lumias will be phased out early, as are any 1st gen commercial enterprise products...

Microsoft is however promising the world for Windows 8 phones, dual core, huge ram, 16:9 720p, etc...as well as AT LEAST 1.5 years of firmware updates guarenteed....we will see if the 1.5 years of firmware updates come true, if so, this is quite amazing, since no OEMs do this. (Other than Apple with their yearly refresh/possible update)

Now, google does not do this, b/c they are completely fragmented, and iOS does not update as often...I am interested to see if MSFT can make these promises come true.

I am a bit skeptical, but at least they are being honest...I purchased the 770 with first gen Maemo, and then Nokia killed it quickly, no upgrade capability...same with the 800 for my cousin...then the N900 for myself, which Nokia killed with the announcement of Maemo 6 a few months after its release...Maemo community kept it alive...now I have the N9, which was technically killed months prerelease, but we will keep this alive as well...

Lumia can't be kept alive like the N9 though...so to the suckers who purchased it (pointing at one famous troll here), a big Nelson "HaHAA", and hopefully Windows 8 can bring life to Nokia, which still has the best hardware and map support...if they can couple this OS with the best hardware, they have Samsung beaten already (worst quality materials out there).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemomd For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
But it is very likely. If WP8 was capable of running on the next gen "low-end" hardware (say 1 GHz Cortex A8 kinda performance), it should be possible to bring WP8 to the current Lumia 800/900 phones. So that makes me suspect WP8 will require multi cores scorpion/A9/krait/A15 to run correctly, or other hardware upgrades (more RAM possibly or a bigger boot flash partition).
When will those type of chips be pushed to the low-end? End of 2013? 2014? And what should developers do until then? Target the select group of WP8 customers, or use only WP7 features?
I'm very curious how this turns out.

In any case the low-end android phones also have big problems. I think the sub 200 euro android-hardware is really bad, and they also have no upgrade path. Compared to those phones the Lumia 610 looks wonderful and the software is smooth. A great choice imo, even without software upgrades.
WP8 is to bring NFC (amongst other things). But the "610 NFC" already has NFC, and it is running Tango. Any idea what this is all about?

Originally Posted by specc View Post
WP8 is to bring NFC (amongst other things). But the "610 NFC" already has NFC, and it is running Tango. Any idea what this is all about?
I assume it will get WP7.8 and that WP7.8 could very well add the NFC and wallet applications functions demoed in the WP8 talk.
In the talk a guy from Orange France was also talking about NFC tech. I doubt Orange would put a lot of money behind this if it was only for a couple of high-end phones.

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
HAHAHAHAHAHA this is just lovely. Nokia and MS think they can screw costumers, developers and carriers once again LOL. Good riddance for both of them

The Following User Says Thank You to Zoxir For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Maemomd View Post
Although I am the largest fan/supporter of Maemo, the above is not completely true, although we all pretty much knew that Windows 8 was coming, and the Lumia/Windows 7.5 processors would probably not handle the workload or be compatible...

The N9 will live on while these lumias will be phased out early, as are any 1st gen commercial enterprise products...

Microsoft is however promising the world for Windows 8 phones, dual core, huge ram, 16:9 720p, etc...as well as AT LEAST 1.5 years of firmware updates guarenteed....we will see if the 1.5 years of firmware updates come true, if so, this is quite amazing, since no OEMs do this. (Other than Apple with their yearly refresh/possible update)

Now, google does not do this, b/c they are completely fragmented, and iOS does not update as often...I am interested to see if MSFT can make these promises come true.

I am a bit skeptical, but at least they are being honest...I purchased the 770 with first gen Maemo, and then Nokia killed it quickly, no upgrade capability...same with the 800 for my cousin...then the N900 for myself, which Nokia killed with the announcement of Maemo 6 a few months after its release...Maemo community kept it alive...now I have the N9, which was technically killed months prerelease, but we will keep this alive as well...

Lumia can't be kept alive like the N9 though...so to the suckers who purchased it (pointing at one famous troll here), a big Nelson "HaHAA", and hopefully Windows 8 can bring life to Nokia, which still has the best hardware and map support...if they can couple this OS with the best hardware, they have Samsung beaten already (worst quality materials out there).
Samsung also know how to make high quality devices (hardware vise), but they don't do it unless they have to. I'm more confused about the whole WP ting now than I was before.

I have a feeling that WP8 requires extremely high end chips/RAM to even turn the engine properly, not to mention running apps. And what about WP7.X ? Seriously, there is something that's not right here. Just last week Nokia was talking about WP7 being pushed far down to low end. I don't see how all this add up.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
MS is doing the right thing. They are upgrading an already smooth platform , and incrementally making it better. Unlike the N9 failure

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I have a feeling that WP8 requires extremely high end chips/RAM to even turn the engine properly, not to mention running apps. And what about WP7.X ? Seriously, there is something that's not right here. Just last week Nokia was talking about WP7 being pushed far down to low end. I don't see how all this add up.
Actually Nokia said they will be pushing Windows Phone in general down to low-end (they didn't talk about WP7 or WP8 in specific afaik).

But I also get the feeling Windows 8 for ARM and WP8 requires very beefy hardware and may be a lot less "ready" than MS wants us to believe. During the Surface presentation they showed so little of the software, that makes me suspicious.
But we will see when Microsoft releases the WP8 SDK this summer. I'm very curious to see what they changed in the SDK compared to the WP7 SDK (since they are supporting native C code now)

I would hazard a guess that Nokia was already aware of Microsofts plans for Windows8, hence their reason to announce that they were going to push WP7 to the lower end of the market.

We already know that Flop and Ballface are in each others pockets so they may have discussed this already, not to mention that they have frequently stated that both the MS&Nok engineer and design teams have been working closely together since the announcement of the lumia phones. Surely this was known in advance?

What makes no sense is how nokia have been striving for the unified phoneOS (to the point where they have been killing off their own device operating systems), only to adopt Windows phone which is now effectively a multipleOS line.

Pretty messed up huh?

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
MS is doing the right thing. They are upgrading an already smooth platform , and incrementally making it better. Unlike the N9 failure
A similar sentiment is on gizmodo.
And when you look at the future windows platform i think you are right, Microsoft has to do it this way. But in the short term microsoft almost has to start from scratch because of this reset. In the short term this will slow-down the growth of the ecosystem. High-end phone customers will wait for the WP8 devices, and developers will focus on the functions that are also in the low-end WP7 devices, since those are in use.
Microsoft is betting that the entire Windows 8 ecosystem will explode in size because of simultaneous phone, tablet and desktop launches.
I fear all three will have extremely slow adoption because of the size of the change and hardware prices.
I also think that application development will remain very much separate for tablet, phone and desktop even with the shared metro interface.

But I could be wrong

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
A similar sentiment is on gizmodo.
And when you look at the future windows platform i think you are right, Microsoft has to do it this way.
It's the way that Nokia basically did with Maemo. Each major iteration of their OS basically was applicable to only one iteration of their hardware.

However, I do not agree with it since lately, iOS and Android (for some devices, not all) have all enjoyed major OS updates past the initial release.

But in the short term microsoft almost has to start from scratch because of this reset. In the short term this will slow-down the growth of the ecosystem. High-end phone customers will wait for the WP8 devices, and developers will focus on the functions that are also in the low-end WP7 devices, since those are in use.
By the time WP8 comes out, dual core is no longer high end. In fact, the decisions around the innards of the Lumia 900 seem to show that Nokia went with the Microsoft standard hardware requirements, didn't differentiate themselves from other WP7 devices and ultimately have created a situation where the so-called millions of Lumia 900 purchases are now left without an update.

The Lumia 900 now feels just like the N9, N900, N810 and 770... released and left to die on the vine.

At least Samsung has done a better job than that in that one regard - updates. The communities surrounding those devices are offering fully functioning ROMS that make calls, send/receive messages and can install updated software via Google's Android store. Cannot say the same for

Microsoft is betting that the entire Windows 8 ecosystem will explode in size because of simultaneous phone, tablet and desktop launches.
I fear all three will have extremely slow adoption because of the size of the change and hardware prices.
Agree. It's going to take more than Office 2013, Visual Studio being Metro UI only to push folks to Win8, Win8 RT and WP8.

I also think that application development will remain very much separate for tablet, phone and desktop even with the shared metro interface.
Agree here too.

But I could be wrong
I've made a career out of being wrong.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: