Originally Posted by nonsuch View Post
Thanks for reporting.
"Took a while" is an understatement. And still "rough around the edges"...
I remember being interested in this years back... and soon gave up.
If I had placed a pre-order in 2016, I'd be seriously p***ed off by now.
OTOH, they could've just given up, so kudos for that.
By the time it comes out the hardware will be almost as out of date as an N900...
This is basically a 'hobby project' and most people paying upfront are still enthusiasts and love this product.
Unlike other projects you could get your money back as well without any problem. Clearly a lot of pre-orders haven't been cancelled and once it is produced new orders will follow as well. It is still a unique device.

Pretty sure there are still folks here who would love to see a Neo900 in 2021 as well, but that is a dream that will never come through...
The Pyra is built with updates in mind though so who knows, maybe an improvement will follow soon for the more demanding customer.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:
I'll admit that I was looking at it through the eyes of someone looking for a Linux phone, and the Pyra clearly isn't that.
I do not belong to the target group for this product.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
Best linux handheld: N900. At least for me. Just waiting to switch using Leste and to see how it works with that. N900 is enough for my needs for using linux on the go with a phone. Others may need more from their device, but "the best" qualification is depended on your needs.
Yea, this is where I am at too; N900 is still my dialy phone. I have a pinephone and seem to be settling towards Debian until Leste matures a bit.
But until things like
-Bluetooth and USB tethering both in and out
-hardware video acceleration
-reliable power management including wake from sleep
-USB OTG
there are more but as it is not my everyday phone, but development is active.

The N900 suffers badly having a no fully useful browser options and face it a microscopic screen but it is still a good phone and audio player, especially with working Pebble watch integration so I cna easily shuffle songs when driving.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Same boat Biketool.

Though some of my hold ups are different the results are the same ... trying to use the PinePhone as a daily make you miss your n900, even without the keyboard .

There are many great thing and not ready thing on the Pine Phone, but since you mentioned The pebble. I was able to install RockWork, which allowed me to not only link to the pebble, but install apps and watch faces!! Now no need for iOS or andriod phone to update the pebble!!

This was an amzing discovery I made while messing with the multi-OS-boot-img. Perhaps you can find some fun with itthis info too

x

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
You know by now i am an F(x)tec fanboy BUT

Just since i did not read about following in this thread:
There have been great advancements on the Proš mainline front recently achieved by the SoMainline Team. I do not have any details on working features but following tweet looks like at least some connectivity is already up using Postmarket OS.
https://twitter.com/kholk/status/1347319808078045191

Last edited by mosen; 2021-01-08 at 18:27.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Sad, but true..over 10 years old Nokias are still best for me and it seams that there is not coming handheld that is every way better than N810 and N900, if you take best things from both.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to teroyk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
One new option to have Linux smartphone + qwerty keyboard :

PinePhone keyboard prototype transforms the Linux phone into a tiny Linux laptop
by BRAD LINDER - APRIL 23, 2021
https://linuxsmartphones.com/pinepho...-linux-laptop/
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
One new option to have Linux smartphone + qwerty keyboard snip)
Hopefully soon! I have been waiting a while now, for a bleeding edge linux hacker gadget the keyboard will not come soon enough.
The Pinephone works great with Mobian but not quite ready for everyday driver vs N900; it still needs a good Pebble watch program and audio book player, and getting a full day out of a battery on standby mode without any charging(even with no actual use).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Droid4 Droid4 !!!!

WOO WOO WOO

/me runs around in circles and bonks into the wall.

The Following User Says Thank You to clort For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
Hopefully soon! I have been waiting a while now, for a bleeding edge linux hacker gadget the keyboard will not come soon enough.
The Pinephone works great with Mobian but not quite ready for everyday driver vs N900; it still needs a good Pebble watch program and audio book player, and getting a full day out of a battery on standby mode without any charging(even with no actual use).
If we look at the Pinephone with keyboard now and also look back, it's true to say that it has been a long way but it's slowly getting there. It was a huge mistake that the Nokia n950 wasn't released back in the days. After the legendary n900 there was nothing similar available for a long time. Now there is the FxTec Pro as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to sailor For This Useful Post:

Tags
computer, linux