Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
Apple/Android didn't kill Nokia, Symbian did.
Their Board of Director did, no body/nothing else.

Symbian was a bit obsolete, but it is a good OS. (Compared with something like Windows), real multitasking, efficient, light weight. If Nokia put some decent HW on it, instead of 640x360 all the time, it will have a second chance.

It's Nokia killed themselves, Not Symbian, Not Elop, Not Windows.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 509 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Mexico/Germany
No. Read the report history.
Symbian was limited en Touch. And Nokia had the Alternitiv Maemo/Meego.
The Problem was that Symbian Division was fighting and nobody with balls, made the decision what is the future.
Loved the E71 with Symbian, it was the best. Encryption, SIP, VPN - all integrated in the OS.
Interested in the E7 but finally buyed the N9 (never had see the N900 in Mexiko).

Maemo/Meego was the evolution but never it received a GO from the board.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chilango For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chilango View Post
The Problem was that Symbian Division was fighting and nobody with balls, made the decision what is the future.
Loved the E71 with Symbian, it was the best. Encryption, SIP, VPN - all integrated in the OS.
Interested in the E7 but finally buyed the N9 (never had see the N900 in Mexiko).

The story I heard was that Elop shelved MeeGo and went all in for Windows Phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to ka9yhd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb

No, it was not. It was NOKIA's S60 that was limited in more than one way. UIQ was also symbian and touch was working just fine. S60 was smart platform just in a way that user was able to install some app and mess with file management, but it was terribly bad from UI point of view since the only way to use it was 4 way navi and yes/no buttons. Nothing smart about that.
UIQ on the other hand was way more power user friendly, symbian as underlaying OS was great in so many ways and supported a lot of things that none of the newcomers didn't or still don't have years later but at the end it was killed because NOKIA as major symbian owner didn't see the need to support more modern HW since their S60 was so dumb and limited that they didn't need anything more.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by ka9yhd View Post
The story I heard was that Elop shelved MeeGo and went all in for Windows Phone.
Yeah but who hired Elop? Elop is just the lethal weapon that killed meego, it's the person pulls trigger to be blamed, not the weapon. Elop is just executing what he has to.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Their Board of Director did, no body/nothing else.

Symbian was a bit obsolete, but it is a good OS. (Compared with something like Windows), real multitasking, efficient, light weight. If Nokia put some decent HW on it, instead of 640x360 all the time, it will have a second chance.

It's Nokia killed themselves, Not Symbian, Not Elop, Not Windows.
You forgot to mention all the madness on the development side for symbian;
thats what made a big difference between iphone / symbian. the apps and the easiness of development.

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Symbian S60 was limited in Touch.
There was Symbian UIQ optimized for touch screens, its 1st smartphone was Sony Ericsson P800 in 12/2002.
But UIQ was ditched in 2008, only Symbian S60 was the choice for Symbian Foundation.
If Symbian UIQ had been maintained, it would be better UI to dispute with iOS and Android in 2008-2011.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
http://www.nokiapoweruser.com/nokia-...nd-of-q4-2016/

Nokia branded devices coming in Q4, will run Android 7 out of the box.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Who cares?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Who cares?
About the new marketing guy? No one.

About a new "Nokia" phone? Me? Maybe?

Brand loyalty is dumb. You buy the best product for you, end of story. If the same brand keeps making products that you want, that's great. However, liking something just because it has a certain name on it is ridiculous.

Having said that, I just went to see the new Star Trek movie. Besides character names, this movie has nothing to do with the original Star Trek series (of which the movie was based). Would I have seen the movie if it were about random people fighting their way through space? Probably not. I saw it because it was familiar. Slap the Star Trek name on it and I feel instantly connected to it.

If I'm going to buy a cheap Chinese phone, why wouldn't I buy one with a familiar logo? For all I know, this company is making phones of equal quality to the other throw away Chinese android manufacturers.

Anyone thinking that this is "THE RETURN OF NOKIA" is being silly. However, i don't seed any issue with people wanting to remember "the good ol' days" while using a cheap Chinese phone.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imaginaryenemy For This Useful Post: