Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
Just got the phone delivered at 2pm today...absolutely love it, but having a few 'internal error' issues. The real issue is wifi, when I try and setup via PBC it works, but then my router say's to push the PBC button on the device....ummmm, which button is this exactly because when I choose the PBC method via the phone it start's doing it automatically and when I think everything is fine, it gives me the typical 'authentication failed' crap...I then tried the pin method, same thing doesn't work....

I then go into settings and do everything manually, entering the pre-shared key, saving it all and exiting. Just when I think that's going to work, nope...'Authentication Failed'....

I love the phone but this is beginning to piss me off, along with my display setting not working properly ( Have it set to turn off after two minutes, but does it no matter what after 15 secs ). Also having the same issues with the keyboard backlighting staying on.

-Socrates 469 BC

Last edited by spinnukur; 2009-12-09 at 01:17.

This happened to me too at a friend's house. I kept fiddling with it for 15 minutes and eventually it just prompted me for the key. I entered it and it connected fine. It was really weird.

There should definitely be an option to bypass Wi-fi Protected Setup. You should check if a bug has been entered for this in bugzilla yet.

Originally Posted by kyle View Post
This happened to me too at a friend's house. I kept fiddling with it for 15 minutes and eventually it just prompted me for the key. I entered it and it connected fine. It was really weird.

There should definitely be an option to bypass Wi-fi Protected Setup. You should check if a bug has been entered for this in bugzilla yet.
Been trying to do it for over an hour now...nothing...turned off WPS in the router so now the phone just ask's me for the pre-shared key which I enter, but nope, same thing...doesn't work.

Even though their is about three or four issues with the phone, I ****ing love it...how crisp the display is, speed of multitasking, very responsive and just overall aesthetically please but if I can't get it to work, I'll just have Amazon send me a replacement.

-Socrates 469 BC

Last edited by spinnukur; 2009-12-09 at 01:30.

See if you can get it to work with WEP at least. Then try your different WPA options in the router. Aside from that I don't know what to suggest.

So, is it a bug that the N900 will not allow you to disable WPS? My laptop connects to an open network with no questions, while the N900 asks for PIN or or to push a button on the router. If I'm unable to provide either, can I not connect to this network?

Originally Posted by liveslow View Post
So, is it a bug that the N900 will not allow you to disable WPS? My laptop connects to an open network with no questions, while the N900 asks for PIN or or to push a button on the router. If I'm unable to provide either, can I not connect to this network?
At home, I entered the WPA2 phrase for my Linksys WRT54GL and it worked the first time.

The wifi network at a large educational institution that I visit for work is used by staff, students, and visitors. Infrequent visitors are given temporary usernames and passwords. Everyone else has to register their wifi MAC address. The former get the usual login dialog when they first acess WWW, the latter connect automatically. I pre-registered my MAC address the day before my first visit with an n900. When I got there, all I had to do was select the connection and I was connected the first time.

If it works like with my home router, the next time I go there, the n900 will just connect. I leave wifi on all the time for my n810 and n900 and have seen no difference in battery drain.

Originally Posted by kyle View Post
See if you can get it to work with WEP at least. Then try your different WPA options in the router. Aside from that I don't know what to suggest.
Not even WEP. Tried cycling through all WPA protocols, full router reset, 20 different passwords, and disabled WPS.

Gonna try again in the morning before Amazon calls and I have to do replacement but OMG do I love this phone...Xvid videos play so smoothly and the screen just makes me wanna make out with it.

One of the exact same issues I'm having. I've tried PIN and PBC ( both done via logged into the router ) and still nothing.

-Socrates 469 BC

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
This thread still does not tell me about the exact wifi type used here.
Some stuff is currently simply not supported, see *for example*
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=417
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1017

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
So, is it a bug that the N900 will not allow you to disable WPS? If I'm unable to provide either, can I not connect to this network?
You can. Go to Settings > Internet Connection instead.

Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
This thread still does not tell me about the exact wifi type used here.
Some stuff is currently simply not supported, see *for example*
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=417
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1017
Yeah it does, just read everything. I already said I've tried WEP, WPA, WPA2. I've done everything short of talking to the phone and asking 'wtf is the problem?'.

It's hard to believe the device wouldn't support even just one security device, but obviously something else is going with my unit since other people are connecting just fine.

-Socrates 469 BC