Active Topics

Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Well, looking at the GTA04 board from the perspective of the engineering and the quality of production the feeling is about a well realized and professional board.
This is a good starting point for the Neo900 project.

PS.
But i can see some free space... probably we miss something we could add there ...

Last edited by xes; 2013-09-03 at 10:19.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:
Just one question...

Can we have a stronger USB connector?

The Following User Says Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
Just one question...

Can we have a stronger USB connector?
Just one answer: please read whole thread, and particularly post #1 in here.
/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
what we won't hand out are the gerber files to feed the fab with, since we don't like to split production into several smaller batches that would inevitably get more expensive per device than one huge batch.
Just out of curiosity, could you sheed more light on it? I don't get the the link between releasing gerber files and splitting production into smaller batches.

AIUI, gerber files mixed with datasheets etc. could allow someone to copy-paste device, i.e. recreate it using same layout and parts, without putting effort into developing it, and produce/sell it, as more expensive or (less likely) cheaper.
But, what does it have to GD "own" production?

If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me - as said I'm asking as this point isn't 100% clear to me, not demanding anything, or even less accussing someone of something.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Maybe a FAQ in the wiki would keep the SNR of the thread higher.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Joerg and dos1,

This is one of the most exciting post in a long time for n900 users.

What I see here is lot of people giving ideas and new possibilities for the new pcb but each hour appear new ones and I don't want them to be forgotten.

wouldn't it be better to create another post and each user just writes 1 post with the hardware aspects they would like or consider.

regards

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 48GX For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by 48GX View Post
wouldn't it be better to create another post and each user just writes 1 post with the hardware aspects they would like or consider.
I think the hardware specs are pretty much settled and invariant (GTA04 used as a base for this project already exists and is designed), there's enough work with changing its form factor to fit in N900 and adding the changes which are missing compared to stock N900. Even if everyone would write what hw aspect they consider or want, I think it would not be taken into consideration and would be a waste of time, as the hardware is pretty much designed, it just needs to be slighly adjusted (which is pretty big task whatsoever)... I think both joerg_rw and dos1 (judging by their past actions) want to keep it as open and moddable (later, by different projects) as possible and we can trust them they'll do all they can - keeping reasonable costs, vendor-locklessnes (is there a word like that? ) and driver openess - to make it as moddable later, as possible.

EDIT: Looks like I might be wrong, joerg_rw later in http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=302 stated that all suggestions are welcome and all will be considered Great!

Last edited by misiak; 2013-09-03 at 15:41.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
I found this info helpful in making my mind:
Not locked into maemo but also encourage maemo support:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=288
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=290
"XY distro on GTA04"
And
"It's not a question if we can do it, it's a question of how good and how economical we can do it. "
And...
This will be the only 'new' linux phone with a HW keyboard !

Edit:This info should on 1st page/pitch.
I put in 450 but can go 700.

Last edited by bingomion; 2013-09-03 at 15:24.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bingomion For This Useful Post:
I just found this thread and got instantly mad.

The GTA04 is NOT 100% not even nearly. The modem might be seperate but it's not open. The PowerVR GPU is not open and the RE-Project doesn't make progress... like at all.

What's up with that price? There specs are not much different from Nokia-n900, there is virtually no improvement whatsoever.

Last edited by thedead1440; 2013-09-03 at 17:06.

The Following User Says Thank You to unknown.obvious For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Introducing the [SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]

PS: I added a public poll, to allow for evaluating if we might reach the minimum of 200 preorders with a target of 700EUR per complete device
does it mean that if there are 500 pre-orders(i.e. confirmed and paid), then the cost could be potentially lower to 400-ish EUR per device(pre-tax and shipping)? [here is my math for 500=> 700*200 / 400 = 350 and then round up to 500]. or are we looking at a pre-order # of minimum 1000 units?

The Following User Says Thank You to cheve For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!