Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
i like reading ebooks too
someone point me to some of this "too heavy for n810" formatted html..

The Following User Says Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
What about the Encyclopaedia Britannica, Vol IV, part iii (zip)? Is that too heavy? Or is it not formatted enough?

Ooh, how about Les Mis (zip)? Or War and Peace (zip)?

I particularly like the illustrated Alice In Wonderland (zip), but it isn't very big, even with all of the pictures.

...Still going... Here's some hilarity:

The Cockaynes in Paris (zip), illustrated by Gustav Doré. ("AND OTHER ILLUSTRATIONS OF THE ENGLISH ABROAD FROM A FRENCH POINT OF VIEW")

AHA: The motherlode!

Danté's Divine Comedy, Illustrated (zip only) That's a whopping 35.4 MB compressed!

Last edited by qole; 2009-05-21 at 03:55.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
My N800 is used for reading ebooks more than anything else. I just wish more DRM-free ebooks were available. Publishers are missing out on my business.

Now, drm and locked to hardware? No thanks. I'm better off buying a hard copy.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Back about 2 years ago I used my N800 for ebook reading every day, I would buy mobipocket books and strip the drm using a tool that was out there. I just wish I could skip that drm step and use something I bought legally for my own personal use.
Its because the N810 can be used as so many different things that I love it, nothing beats reading an ebook and having a Skype call come through whilst listening to some classical music over internet radio

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by speednut View Post
Actually, the Maemo screen is vastly superior to the ultra low contrast ridiculously priced e-ink screens.

I am sorry, did you even try one of those? I mean, not the Kindle (a.k.a. a child's toy).

I use my N810 as an ebook reader during my daily 15 minute tube ride (actually, four times a day) -- perfect for that, smaller than a dedicated ebook reader.
But as soon as I get out of the tube, the N810 becomes _unusable_. Virtually unreadable under the sun. Black over white, white over black, red over black, you name it: it sucks.

I once borrowed a iRex iLiad, a very nice piece of hardware (way overpriced though, the software is horrible) -- first thing I did: went outside. I was _amazed_. After a 4-hour marathon my eyes still didn't hurt. I forgot I was using a battery-backed device.

It even has more pixels than the Tablet's screen (but less DPI).

Amazon's trying to compete within the "real books" market; they're not wanting to displace phones or PDAs. Just dare to market the N810 as a "real book replacement".

Last edited by javispedro; 2009-05-21 at 14:34.

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
I haven't read a paper based book in years. I read exclusively on the tablet (N810 or 770) or on my Treo 700p. There is nothing better than always having a book or two (or 100) available. In the DMV line, at a stop light, waiting in the grocery store line? Whip it out and read a few pages.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Frank Banul View Post
...at a stop light... Whip it out and read a few pages.
Wow. And I thought *I* read quickly. Unless you mean stop light as in railway crossing or bridge

Originally Posted by Frank Banul View Post
I haven't read a paper based book in years. I read exclusively on the tablet (N810 or 770) or on my Treo 700p.
Ouch! What is your doctor saying about this habit?

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Wow. And I thought *I* read quickly. Unless you mean stop light as in railway crossing or bridge
the 144pt font he uses makes it less of a

ch
all
en
ge

.seeing that its actually harder to read because the word is broken up too much.
that messed with my eyes

Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
the 144pt font he uses...
That basically ends up with a choice between premature blindness or carpal tunnel syndrome from constantly turning "pages".