Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I just noticed that there's a new update "Hossa" available.
(I regret that the last few weeks have bern so incredibly busy I have not even had time to read TMO or anything...)

What's the verdict, is it worth to update? The current 3.0.2.8 Oulanka is the stablest release ever, I have not run into single problem since installing it and have 50 days of uptime which is pushing my record on SFOS...
Code:
SFOS---
| Sailfish OS 3.0.2.8 (Oulanka)
'---
[nemo@Sailfish ~]$ uptime
10:08:31 up 50 days, 22:07,  0 users,  load average: 6.06, 5.48, 5.74
[nemo@Sailfish ~]$

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
What's the verdict, is it worth to update? The current 3.0.2.8 Oulanka is the stablest release ever, I have not run into single problem since installing it and have 50 days of uptime...
Woww. 50 days are you on Xperia X or some XA2?

I myself am just considering leaving J1 behind and flashing the image to a Xperia X but was always thrown back by the bug reports.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Merienth For This Useful Post:

What's the verdict, is it worth to update? The current 3.0.2.8 Oulanka is the stablest release ever, I have not run into single problem since installing it and have 50 days of uptime which is pushing my record on SFOS...
Code:
SFOS---
| Sailfish OS 3.0.2.8 (Oulanka)
'---
[nemo@Sailfish ~]$ uptime
10:08:31 up 50 days, 22:07,  0 users,  load average: 6.06, 5.48, 5.74
[nemo@Sailfish ~]$
There are specific improvements for XA2, generic s/w updates including a newer browser engine.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pagis For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Merienth View Post
Woww. 50 days are you on Xperia X or some XA2?

I myself am just considering leaving J1 behind and flashing the image to a Xperia X but was always thrown back by the bug reports.
My daily driver is the original XperiaX.

I'd imagine lots of problems and dissatisfaction is caused by Alien Dalvik; as I don't use android at all I am safe from many bugs

Previously I have had some bugs in GPS and WLAN sharing that required device boot to get working again, however Oulanka has been remarkably stable and I have not run across any bugs really.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
What's the verdict, is it worth to update?
In a word, no. Neither is it worth not updating. As far as have been able to observe, on both J1 and on Xperia X, there is no noticeable difference between Oulanka and Hossa.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
The current 3.0.2.8 Oulanka is the stablest release ever,
except it has a nasty bug in Messages app, jerking when trying to delete a message

PS 3.0.3 is the same ole' same ole' as are previous releases. Didn't have anything bad with my X for 1.5 years from the start.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
Didn't have anything bad with my X for 1.5 years from the start.
Xperia X still works much better than XA2.
I regret switching to XA2 so early. I could have spared myself the proof of concept phase feeling with much disappointment...
Now after 3.0.3.8 XA2 is mostly usable (battery life was pitiful due to wlan related bug) and since Xperia X will not likely get any HADK related improvements, i stay with it now.
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
In a word, no. Neither is it worth not updating.
I additionally recommend not to switching to XA2 unless you are into BDSM or have some kind of religious mortification process to support

The biggest remaining bummer on XA2 to me is the UI performance. It feels like the GPU is not put to full use since transitions stutter all over. And i miss FP-reader for convenience i got used to on X. Heck, maybe double tap to wake for the first time since Jolla C...
Have yet to test on 3.0.3.9, updating now.

Last edited by mosen; 2019-05-10 at 11:29.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
I regret switching to XA2 so early. I could have spared myself the proof of concept phase feeling with much disappointment...
I've expected this. Hopefully once they refine this new 4.4 kernel and android 8.1 support layer, next ports are gon' be easier (I'm still hoping for XZ2c port, although it seems less and less probable).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
The current 3.0.2.8 Oulanka is the stablest release ever,
except it has a nasty bug in Messages app, jerking when trying to delete a message

PS 3.0.3 is the same ole' same ole' as are previous releases. Didn't have anything bad with my X for 1.5 years from the start.
OK, makes sense. I have not ever met that bug since I never delete any messages; the phone is my memory and I won't delete stuff from my brain needlessly, either

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
OK, makes sense. I have not ever met that bug since I never delete any messages; the phone is my memory and I won't delete stuff from my brain needlessly, either
What you even store bank sms codes ? Or emergency services alerts about unusual weather conditions?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post: