Notices

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Bander is an Electronics Helper application written in Qt.

Feel free to contribute more futures

It acts as an open-source, Qt portrait replacement for the offscr package in extras.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Bander
Attached Images

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Last edited by sixwheeledbeast; 2014-04-18 at 09:33.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 59 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Nov 2012 @ Philippines
While you're at it, I would like to suggest something as reference:

ElectroDroid.

Something like this for the N9 would be awesome.

The Following User Says Thank You to n0x For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by n0x View Post
ElectroDroid.

Something like this for the N9 would be awesome.
Yes, this was/is the overall plan for bander.

Bander Version 0.0.1 is now in extras-devel FYI.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Version 0.0.2 in Devel with new features
Wiki and Screenshots added to OP

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Have been playing with bander (no particular reason, just feeling disturbance in the force) that there is bug hidding inside ) and found two glitches:

1. Bander crashes when something stupid is put into calculation fields. Like, when someone try to calculate current by providing something as voltage and 0 as resistance. It seems that it doesn't like dividing by 0 and just makes "bye bye" in a rude manner:

Code:
~ $ /opt/bander/bin/bander
Floating point exception
2. Even when calculating power, tabs used to choose what we calculate are labeled "voltage, current, resistance".

Cheers,
/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Have been playing with bander (no particular reason, just feeling disturbance in the force) that there is bug hidding inside ) and found two glitches:

1. Bander crashes when something stupid is put into calculation fields. Like, when someone try to calculate current by providing something as voltage and 0 as resistance. It seems that it doesn't like dividing by 0 and just makes "bye bye" in a rude manner:

Code:
~ $ /opt/bander/bin/bander
Floating point exception
Thanks for the feedback.
Bander is still a work in progress, and TBH I have not had much time for Maemo things at the moment.
I had noted in the past some bugs with VIR but I haven't got the C++ coding skills to fix this calculator.

Maybe somebody could help out in making this program better.
The plan was to add 5 band resistors and LED CLR calculators too.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber

Is electrodroid open source, at least in free version? Maybe code could get borrowed from there? Or some desktop program, that does same thing?

Then, "only" GUI part would be left.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Thanks for bringing my attention to this thread.

Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
Maybe somebody could help out in making this program better.
Looks easy. Let me have a look. I can send you my updates by email.

I have a few suggestions:
  • Use a bit darker colours for resitor colour bands. The current colours are a bit too bright and vivid. Plus, to my old eyes, orange is difficult to distingush from yellow. Same for white and silver.
  • Use units in brackets, e.g. Voltage (V), Current (A), Resistance (Ω), Power (W).
  • It took me a while to figure out that in Ohm's Law and Power calculations, one line edit was for results and not for the input. I think it should be made obvious immediately. Either use a label for the output instead of line edit or rearrange the tabs somehow. I have not yet worked out how.
  • Make sure the edit boxes accept digits by default and do not accept letters. The easiest way would be to use double spin boxes. That would also make it easy to cater for the divide-by-zero checks: if the denominator is zero, the "calculate" button could be disabled.

Actually, the whole thing can be implemented in a simple JavaScript. Let me dig out my HTML course material

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 661 | Thanked: 1,625 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Croatia,Zagreb
I never knew about this neat program! Thanks for BUMPing it!
I must have a look at it. And I have to search for more.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Actually, the whole thing can be implemented in a simple JavaScript. Let me dig out my HTML course material
Here it is (also in the attachment, only rename .txt to .htm):

HTML Code:
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="javascript">
function calculate(form) {
  var n = (form.band1.value + form.band2.value) * form.multiplier.value;
  if (n >= 1000000)
    n = n / 1000000 + 'M';
  else if (n >= 1000)
    n = n / 1000 + 'K';
  form.result.value = n + form.tolerance.value;
}
</SCRIPT>
</HEAD>

<BODY>
<H1 ALIGN="center">Resistor Colour Code Calculator</H1>
The following calculator allows you to enter the colours of the bands on a given resistor, and it will then return the resistance value.<P>
For each band set the corresponding colour. When all the colours are correct, the corresponding value will be displayed in the 'Resistance' box.<P>

<FORM NAME="colour">
<TABLE ALIGN="center" WIDTH="80%" BORDER="2">
    <TR ALIGN="center">
        <TD>Band 1</TD>
        <TD>Band 2</TD>
        <TD>Multiplier</TD>
        <TD>Tolerance</TD>
    </TR>
    <TR ALIGN="center">
        <TD>
            <SELECT NAME="band1" ONCHANGE="calculate(colour)">
                <OPTION SELECTED VALUE="0" STYLE="background: black; color: white">Black</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="1" STYLE="background: brown; color: white">Brown</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="2" STYLE="background: red; color: white">Red</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="3" STYLE="background: orange; color: white">Orange</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="4" STYLE="background: yellow; color: black">Yellow</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="5" STYLE="background: green; colour: white">Green</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="6" STYLE="background: blue; color: white">Blue</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="7" STYLE="background: purple; color: white">Purple</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="8" STYLE="background: gray; color: white">Grey</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="9" STYLE="background: white; color: black">White</OPTION>
            </SELECT>
        </TD>
        <TD>
            <SELECT NAME="band2" ONCHANGE="calculate(colour)">
                <OPTION SELECTED VALUE="0" STYLE="background: black; color: white">Black</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="1" STYLE="background: brown; color: white">Brown</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="2" STYLE="background: red; color: white">Red</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="3" STYLE="background: orange; color: white">Orange</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="4" STYLE="background: yellow; color: black">Yellow</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="5" STYLE="background: green; color: white">Green</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="6" STYLE="background: blue; color: white">Blue</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="7" STYLE="background: purple; color: white">Purple</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="8" STYLE="background: gray; color: white">Grey</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="9" STYLE="background: white; color: black">White</OPTION>
            </SELECT>
        </TD>
        <TD>
            <SELECT NAME="multiplier" ONCHANGE="calculate(colour)">
                <OPTION SELECTED VALUE="1" STYLE="background: black; color: white">Black</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="10" STYLE="background: brown; color: white">Brown</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="100" STYLE="background: red; color: white">Red</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="1000" STYLE="background: orange; color: white">Orange</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="10000" STYLE="background: yellow; color: black">Yellow</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="100000" STYLE="background: green; color: white">Green</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="1000000" STYLE="background: blue; color: white">Blue</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="0.1" STYLE="background: gold; color: black">Gold</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="0.01" STYLE="background: silver; color: black">Silver</OPTION>
            </SELECT>
        </TD>
        <TD>
            <SELECT NAME="tolerance" ONCHANGE="calculate(colour)">
                <OPTION SELECTED VALUE="&Omega;  5%" STYLE="background: gold; color; black">Gold</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="&Omega;  10%" STYLE="background: silver; color; black">Silver</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="&Omega;  2%" STYLE="background: red; color; white">Red</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="&Omega;  1%" STYLE="background: brown; color; white">Brown</OPTION>
            </SELECT>
        </TD>
    </TR>
</TABLE>
<BR>
<P ALIGN="center">
Resistance:
<INPUT TYPE="text" NAME="result">
<P ALIGN="center">
<INPUT TYPE="reset">
</FORM>
</BODY>
</HTML>
And here is the online version
Attached Files
File Type: txt resistor.txt (4.5 KB, 64 views)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: