Originally Posted by Anton
A week prior to the release of OS2006 my Nokia n770 was stolen . I have recovered from the loss and am now looking for a new one. Unfortunatly the nokia web site is out of stock, along with CompUSA where I bought my first one. The only place I found is Tiger Direct and they are charging too much. Does anyone have any thoughts on why the 770 is so difficult to get right now? Are they clearing the channel for a hardware upgrade or is it just so popular they cannot make enough?

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
nokia[dot]com

Originally Posted by valo
nokia[dot]com

Sorry if I wasn't clear earlier about Tiger Direct. In the past they have been in trouble for selling what is called "gray area" merchandise. This would an item that the manufacturer has different models for different countries, sometimes for no reason othertimes for local regulations. I prefer not to shop at an internet site (or brick and morter) that does this, it is a personal choice only.

About Compusa, if you do a search for Nokia they have TWO different spots for the 770. I clicked on the first one which is out of stock and I never saw the second one listed. Someone needs to fix their site.

Thanks again for all the help.

Anton, I told you that CompUSA has two listings. I just went there again, and the new (second) one is listed and is in stock. I still don't get what you are doing wrong.

Originally Posted by Anton
Sorry if I wasn't clear earlier about Tiger Direct. In the past they have been in trouble for selling what is called "gray area" merchandise. This would an item that the manufacturer has different models for different countries, sometimes for no reason othertimes for local regulations. I prefer not to shop at an internet site (or brick and morter) that does this, it is a personal choice only.

About Compusa, if you do a search for Nokia they have TWO different spots for the 770. I clicked on the first one which is out of stock and I never saw the second one listed. Someone needs to fix their site.

Thanks again for all the help.
Interesting about TigerDirect. I did some searches after I saw your reply yesterday and did find complaints about this. Maybe I was just lucky with my purchase from them. I ordered thru Amazon on a Tuesday, paid 7.49 for ground shipping and got the 770 2 days later. It was in a sealed box and booted properly (first time turn on) when I first turned it on. I would have preferred to order from someone other than TigerDirect of Compusa, but the list of places selling the 770 is short. I have also read complaints about Compusa. They actually have a worse resellerratings score than TigerDirect. TigerDirect USA also gets a better rating than TigerDirect Canada. Perhaps the Canadians just complain more.

As to Compusa - one of the listings is for the OS2005 version and the other is for the OS2006 version. They never deleted the OS2005 listing after they started getting the OS2006, at least when I checked a week or so ago. They didn't have either when I got mine (OS2005) from TigerDirect. The OS2006 was not shipping yet.