Hi

Sorry i have askd this question a few times but no joy and i need to make a choice quickly so would appreciate advise.

I am sending back my old n900 as it has masses of frozen screens and reboots, however i have noticed the battery life has improved and improved which i know from what i have read happens.

The question is i have the replacement phone ready to boot up but should i maybe switch the new battery and send it back with the old phone and keep the old battery and put it in the new phone... does it work that way eg is the battery holding charge that much better these days directly to do with the individual battery or not?

any links to improved battary? i've never heard it

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ bournemouth
Originally Posted by nappleton View Post
Hi

Sorry i have askd this question a few times but no joy and i need to make a choice quickly so would appreciate advise.

I am sending back my old n900 as it has masses of frozen screens and reboots, however i have noticed the battery life has improved and improved which i know from what i have read happens.

The question is i have the replacement phone ready to boot up but should i maybe switch the new battery and send it back with the old phone and keep the old battery and put it in the new phone... does it work that way eg is the battery holding charge that much better these days directly to do with the individual battery or not?
not really, IMHO, it could be simply that if your current n900 was having booting problems then the device as a whole was not working correctly and therefore not pulling the required amount of juice from the battery!

http://wiki.maemo.org/General_precautions

and FYI - dont be a n00b and copy and paste commands into the Terminal with out knowing what it doe's and what you'll need to do to correct any problems.

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
I believe the principle is the battery has a little IC in it, the charge controller. This IC learns how much your battery can hold, how much it needs topping up, how much is left, etc. That is why the battery improves after enough full charge cycles.

So yes, swapping the battery you should still get the good battery life.

However, in theory at least, your new battery having not been used yet still has its full lifetime left. So by keeping the old battery it will fail quicker than if you switch to the brand-new battery, in theory.
However in reality I think the number of charges a battery holds is far more variable than that so its more pot luck how long it lasts.

So basically, its your gamble.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

The batteries start to degrade from the moment they're made. However, they degrade faster in warmer temperatures, such as your pocket. Unless the new battery you get is manufactured something like 6-12 months before your existing battery, it'll probably be better.

Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
The batteries start to degrade from the moment they're made. However, they degrade faster in warmer temperatures, such as your pocket. Unless the new battery you get is manufactured something like 6-12 months before your existing battery, it'll probably be better.
2 weeks lol....the device being replaced, eg the battery its 2 weeks old but its def holding better then the newer one... have them side by same the newer device is nearly half empty where as the older devise is nearly full bar a little bit.

so do you think i should switch them and keep the 2 week old one as its holding better charge