Notices

Having big problems here, if you quit out when it hangs, it still creates a readable seemingly complete tar file so i thought i'd try restoring the rootfs.

Just sits there forever saying restoring and size:n/a (guessing this should read a size) and rebooting the phone obviously results in a bricked device.

Just reflashed pr1.3 fiasco and going to try and restore again and see what happens...

Still just getting size:n/a, going to leave this until morning and see what happens. Would greatly appreciate a fix on this soon so I can send my N900 off to be repaired (cracked screen) .

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
I have no feedback when restoring, I think it's a remnant of the old script. Just leave it finish.

On my device, it takes about 70 seconds for root and about 200 for opt.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Originally Posted by ndi View Post
I vote for changing current

YYYYMMDD-backup-optfs.tar

to

YYMMDD-HHMM-o.tar

It's easier to read and shorter. I see no reason to add "backup" or entire "rootfs/optfs" to the name.

Also, the new version still has the "procede" typo in the menus - should be "proceed".

And finally, tested backup and restore (I crashed it again). It's all on the level.

What is so different in other people's systems their /tmp breaks it?
Buddy,

If you want to manually edit the files, you can get it this way:

Edit:
/usr/share/backupmenu/BackupMenu.item

Replace line 540 with:
date=`date +"%Y%m%d-%H%M"`

Replace line 643 with:
backupOptLocation="/tmp/mnt/sd/$date-o.tar"

and 645 with:
backupOptLocation="/tmp/mnt/mydocs/$date-o.tar"

Hope this help you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joelteixeira For This Useful Post:
Guys,

Just to report my first recover. As my first language is Portuguese, there are a lot of diacritical marks... I particularly hate this but well, I can't just convince the people here to stop using =]

The point is, I was playing around with the "/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/rx-51" file and guess what... My N900 stop booting. I had already did this some months ago and had to reflash it. Now, I used the recover from BackupMenu and everything back to normal.

Love you Robbie, I would even marry you if I wasn't already. ;D

At c), i didn't mean allow user to select folder, I meant only searching a subfolder. If I want to arhive a backup, remove it from the menu, I have to move it off the card or kill the extension. It would be easier and neater if the backup path would include a folder, like osso backup dues, it uses /backup/
Done, in 0.50-1(if I can ever get it to you guys).
Do you plan on pushing a known-good version to testing, so we can revert if the alpha -devel breaks for any reason? (I know the .deb is available on the forum).
Once I have one that works and people are happy with.
ETA: I had a thought. If you are on Linux, could you make a bin with the PR1.3 and backupmenu embedded, so it can be used for easy recovery?
Yea, I'll do that in a bit.

Originally Posted by stevomanu View Post
im still waiting for this version ¬¬
So am I.

Originally Posted by pali View Post
sorry, ITEM_LINUXRC doesnt work in current bootmenu-n900. I have fixed version of bootmenu in bzr: https://code.launchpad.net/~pali/+junk/maemo_bootmenu

if fixed version of bootmenu will be in repository I write again...
Let me know when it's fixed and works.

Originally Posted by joelteixeira View Post
Robbie,
I dont know if the most of user think the same but, for me, would be even better if the timestamp of the resulting file shows the hour and minutes.
Added in 0.50-1

Originally Posted by Wichall View Post
Also getting this problem, was stuck on 253.4m, rm-rf'd /var/tmp/* and /tmp/*, now stuck on 253.5m, desperately need this working as am supposed to be sending my n900 off to be replaced...
Cheers Robbie
Edit: I don't get any error, it just hangs...
I'd like you to try it with 0.50-1, as soon as I can get it up.

@others:
Thanks for the comments. I'm only one person here, and it's hard to do things when the damn repo's down. I'm trying to build a package myself, but it doesn't work quite right yet.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Peterborough, UK
You're doing a great job Robbie, and rest assured all your hard work is really appreciated. The repositories are playing up which isn't helping anyone..

Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st View Post
Done, in 0.50-1(if I can ever get it to you guys).

Once I have one that works and people are happy with.

Yea, I'll do that in a bit.

So am I.

Let me know when it's fixed and works.

Added in 0.50-1

I'd like you to try it with 0.50-1, as soon as I can get it up.

@others:
Thanks for the comments. I'm only one person here, and it's hard to do things when the damn repo's down. I'm trying to build a package myself, but it doesn't work quite right yet.
we know dude an your work is very much appreciated

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by jsbigs View Post
Any chance you can write a step-by-step on how to do this for non-coders? I'm confident I could get this working too but not without the proper guidance. Thank you in advance!
Sure. I'm assuming you've already got multiboot 0.2.10 installed here - if not, you'll need to look up the instructions for that elsewhere (the multiboot/NITDroid/power kernel threads).

Unfortunately the only implementations of patch appear to be in the SDK repository, so rather than using the diff, just grab the patched files and save them to the MyDocs directory.

Now overwrite the existing multiboot files with the new versions:
Code:
root
cd /sbin
tar -xzf /home/user/MyDocs/multiboot_patched.tar.gz
chmod 755 multiboot multiboot_read_item
That's the patched multiboot all done, so you now just need to create a new boot item. You'll need to create a file (either on the N900, or on a desktop/laptop then copied to the N900) containing:
ITEM_NAME="BackupMenu"
ITEM_SCRIPT="/usr/share/backupmenu/BackupMenuLauncher.item"
Move this file to /etc/multiboot.d/99-BackupMenu.item (you'll need to be root to do this).

Now when you reboot with the keyboard open, you'll get an option for BackupMenu. I think this'll work irrespective of which OS/kernel you've been booting with, but I've only tested it from the standard Maemo kernel so far.

EDIT: Missed a bit - you also need to symlink evkey (which handles key detection) to where backupmenu is expecting it:

Code:
root
ln -s /bin/evkey /usr/sbin/evkey

Last edited by Rob1n; 2010-11-05 at 19:09.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
right am i right i thinking , after phone is flashed install backup menu then i will be able to get my original backup going !!

Tags
backup, backupmenu, cssusupplement, max(useful), rescue-console, restore, system