Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
We funded an Indiegogo project at 480%. Yes, that wasn't enough to actually fund the tablet (other than perhaps the hardware components). The hardware and software design I am sure cost far, far more than the campaign brought in...
Then again, Dave999's reply just above your post still makes sense.....

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Today I got an invite to buy an Oneplus 2 should I buy one? Can it run sfos2?

Or wait then I realized I better go for fairphone2 next time I buy a phone.

Infact www.fairphone.com and Jolla should merge.

Fairphone "most open" hardware
Jolla most open OS

what a combo would that be?

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2015-11-20 at 21:54.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Then again, Dave999's reply just above your post still makes sense.....
Well, yes, except that there's nothing strange about it. Dave has been insisting that reaching 100% of a crowdfunding goal means that the crowdfunded project should have enough funds to be completed. I'm arguing that for the tablet project (and, in fact, most crowdfunded projects) this is not the case; in fact, most projects need additional funding from elsewhere in order to succeed.

Well, yes, except that there's nothing strange about it. Dave has been insisting that reaching 100% of a crowdfunding goal means that the crowdfunded project should have enough funds to be completed. I'm arguing that for the tablet project (and, in fact, most crowdfunded projects) this is not the case; in fact, most projects need additional funding from elsewhere in order to succeed.
Worse, most projects work at 100%, but fail when they reach 10k%, what they could produce at a desk hand-crafting works for 100-1000 pieces, when they get orders for 100 thousand they need to hire mass producing factory and it turns out that their designs are not good for mass producing (not that it is relevant to jolla tablet, but it's more complicated than just counting the % points and dollars, extra complexity of mass producing costs a lot), ask Dirk, he pulled it off in a way

edit: can't find the source I read originally, but recent KS failure Zano copters was blamed on the fact they could ship the planned 500-1000 items as they planned to manufacture them DIY in the kitchen, when they got few million dollars in backing and 15k orders they needed to change tactic and reinvent the wheel to allow mass producing in a factory or ship their drones for 5 years+, after shipping 600 drones they folded (similarities with jolla tablet totally coincidental)

edit2: Oh and to just rub it in, it was: Europe's most successful Kickstarter campaign ever

Last edited by szopin; 2015-11-20 at 22:01.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Today I got an invite to buy an Oneplus 2 should I buy one? Can it run sfos2?

Or wait then I realized I better go for fairphone2 next time I buy a phone.

Infact www.fairphone.com and Jolla should merge.

Fairphone "most open" hardware
Jolla most open OS

what a combo would that be?
The saddest part is neither fairphone can save jolla (not financially, they will ship android and hoping for community to keep them updated or with alternatives, yeah, those liars who claim fairphone will provide updates are just that), nor intex, the 10 billion INR investment in new factory is 150 mil in U$, and that is for a whole factory, not just part of R&D which seemed reasonable sum during Nokia times (nokia sitting on 3-4 bil $ is also absurd, they would need to reinvest in factories etc, they will only do what Jolla tried with ordering ready-to-use with android blobs phone and putting Nokia logo on it, once they can, seeing Finnish people support for local produce, not going to go well), not when fighting against goog/appl

Must admit I'm pretty upset. I really wanted Jolla to do well & believed in their product. No way could I ever buy iOS, Android or m$.

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
The saddest part is neither fairphone can save jolla (not financially, they will ship android and hoping for community to keep them updated or with alternatives, yeah, those liars who claim fairphone will provide updates are just that), nor intex, the 10 billion INR investment in new factory is 150 mil in U$, and that is for a whole factory, not just part of R&D which seemed reasonable sum during Nokia times (nokia sitting on 3-4 bil $ is also absurd, they would need to reinvest in factories etc, they will only do what Jolla tried with ordering ready-to-use with android blobs phone and putting Nokia logo on it, once they can, seeing Finnish people support for local produce, not going to go well), not when fighting against goog/appl
I cannot see why Nokia cannot invest now in Jolla, the urgent money Jolla needs might not be that much (for Nokia I mean). Having a viable platform in long term would be good for Nokia, or other phone manufacturers.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
We funded an Indiegogo project at 480%. Yes, that wasn't enough to actually fund the tablet (other than perhaps the hardware components). The hardware and software design I am sure cost far, far more than the campaign brought in...
That's your mantra and it may well be the case but I would not be so resolute. The tablet is a reference design, not much extra development needed. A few iterations of the circuit board, perhaps. Two months' worth of salary for one hardware guy. The OS is pretty much done as well. OS 2.0, although the tablet is the usual excuse, was not made for the tablet. It was made in parallel with the tablet. In any case, the tablet could have been shipped with 1.0. The only thing missing was landscape support.

I work for a small IT company. We produce our own hardware and software. Embedded world so no touchscreens and no Linux but that only makes the development harder. We have 64KB at our disposal, not 1GB and a convenient excuse, "it's Android eating all your RAM". Plus we have other challenges stemming from our subject matter (IoT). Yet we manage with one hardware guy and 7 software guys and gals. In my world, the money from the IGG campaign would have been plenty.

Perhaps our esteemed Stskeeps could enlighten us? He seems to hang around here these days.

Originally Posted by pagis View Post
I cannot see why Nokia cannot invest now in Jolla, the urgent money Jolla needs might not be that much (for Nokia I mean). Having a viable platform in long term would be good for Nokia, or other phone manufacturers.
Nokia now is just a guy with a fat (for now) wallet, no factories, no manufacturing abilities, to get back in business they would need huge investment (or to rely on indian/chinese manufacturers), might as well just slap a Nokia logo on generic android device to see if people still remember (which they will probably quickly learn to forget with chinese quality of produce and generic android with z-launcher stickied on top), R&D costs a lot (in a way, Jolla could help them with that, but risky, when you need to open/rebuy factories of your own to bring back european quality and margins are so low), safer bet to sell tires again (or stick to network services or whatevs, CEO who got there after all those gamblers can stay for a while with no risk this way)

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
That's your mantra (...)

I work for a small IT company. We produce our own hardware and software. Embedded world so no touchscreens and no Linux but that only makes the development harder. We have 64KB at our disposal, not 1GB and a convenient excuse, "it's Android eating all your RAM". Plus we have other challenges stemming from our subject matter (IoT). Yet we manage with one hardware guy and 7 software guys and gals. In my world, the money from the IGG campaign would have been plenty.

Perhaps our esteemed Stskeeps could enlighten us? He seems to hang around here these days.
I guess small is the key word here, if you want millions of investment money, you need to aim big, if you work as small company you don't really need to play big. If what you do keeps the 8 guy company afloat, no reason to upscale. Unless you wish to get millions of $ in investment, jolla-adventures might give a clue how to get that

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund