Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by iammarkus View Post
Mr Gunite,
Please we all want version 2... All together now... Mr Gunite Mr Gunite Mr Gunite Mr Gunite Mr Gunite !!! Version 2 please...

LOL!!
It's NOT the version 2, it's a BETA of what will be version 2 (about box still display 1.4.3).
And sorry for the 'is out', it's a private/limited beta test so it will not be delivered to anyone for some 'licensing reason' and there's surely a lot of bugs/not finished functionnalities inside.

I know its beta... and for sure there will be bugs.. So I take it there has been a limted beta release? If so, can you confirm the map rotation is part of this release????

Thanks
MD

...I was looking through the postings and saw that some of us would be willing to pay Gunite for his labours. I know Gunite has said this is a hobby for him however, for me, I would be more than willing to send some $ his way for a solid version 2.0 with all the new features he planned for.

Perhaps a moderator could poll the user group, ask who would be willing to part with a few $ for our map god Gunite!..

Perhaps, we could start a separate posting so that we could start collecting donations for Gunite.

MD

Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
I must just take you (and other willing victims) up on that. I can't guarantee program stability; you'll probably lose map data and/or track data. But it definitely can't hurt to have some sort of beta program to help iron out the bugs.

Anyone else interested? I'll contact you through ITT PM, if I decide to host a beta.
I'm definetly interested. I hope you provide the beta source for your beta testers too, since I would find it interesting to poke around a bit in it. Feels kind of useless making patches for the currently released version, since you have gotten so much further ahead on 2.0 anyway.

Last edited by TPC; 2007-10-03 at 18:12.

...I was looking through the postings and saw that some of us would be willing to pay Gunite for his labours. I know Gunite has said this is a hobby for him however, for me, I would be more than willing to send some $ his way for a solid version 2.0 with all the new features he planned for.

Perhaps a moderator could poll the user group, ask who would be willing to part with a few $ for our map god Gunite!..

Perhaps, we could start a separate posting so that we could start collecting donations for Gunite.

MD
You can donate him at his website www.gnuite.com, using 'donations' button.

...can you confirm the map rotation is part of this release????
Thanks
MD
Yes, the rotation is in, as said here.

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
Originally Posted by Green_Star View Post
You can donate him at his website www.gnuite.com, using 'donations' button.
I have never been able to bring up his web site.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

Originally Posted by deeteroderdas View Post
I have never been able to bring up his web site.
Probably your firewall doesn't allow incoming or outgoing connections to port 8080. My ISP doesn't allow hosting websites on port 80, so I have to use port 8080 (another typically-allowed port for HTTP).

Probably your firewall doesn't allow incoming or outgoing connections to port 8080. My ISP doesn't allow hosting websites on port 80, so I have to use port 8080 (another typically-allowed port for HTTP).
Yup, that could be true, because I never got gnuite.com loaded at my workplace, but no problems from my home.

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Las Vegas, NV
I know its beta... and for sure there will be bugs.. So I take it there has been a limted beta release? If so, can you confirm the map rotation is part of this release????

Thanks
MD
iammarkus, if you read back a few pages, you can see gnuite's quote that says:

...Map rotation works, but it's not the fastest thing in the world. There are actually no GTK library calls to rotate an image by an arbitrary angle, so I had to do all the math by hand (matrices, yay). The rotated OpenStreetMap PNGs are actually surprisingly readable, but you will have a harder time reading them, especially if they are upside down. I did manage to keep memory usage low, but the consequence is that any change in the viewpoint takes up to 0.25 seconds or so to redraw (not as fast as v1.x). And yes, auto-rotate is implemented so that--when Auto-Center is enabled--Maemo Mapper will automatically rotate the viewpoint to follow your heading. You can also rotate the viewpoint manually with the directional buttons. You can still choose to map the directional buttons to panning, but you may not need to, because...

I've added drag-to-pan functionality, so when you tap-and-drag the stylus on the map, the map moves with your stylus. It actually looks pretty slick. The old "single-tap to center on a location" mechanism is still in place. I also added "tap on a waypoint to see the description."

And then there's the POI Search stuff that I mentioned in this thread. Check out the thread for details.
-Scott