Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Gerbick nailed it down...and sent the coffin to the funeral home people.
N810 was the best there was...blammo!..[microphone-drop]
Damn straight.
frankly ...still is... in my opinion ...
Build is superb.
and maemo 4 is solid.
Any who had... or has one (or multiples) knows what I mean...
(Still use mine...)
N810 spoiled the bunch of us....frankly.
The n900 is ok...(sans the self same issues gerbick mentions of course..and the screen size ...as well...)
But...since the n810..the market has been serving crap...
a good descriptive would be...

it's been hard to turn to cold lumpy grits...
after being given good fresh Russian caviar.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Playing devil's advocate here; do we really have proof of this in the real world?

The majority has since traded security and extensibility for convenience and access. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about options - I still consider Jolla an option - but so far nothing has outright stayed an option and been highly adopted.

Not yet.

Jolla needs to stop being an option but become the solution that would turn all the other spy-phones obsolete.

Being unlike should (have) be(en) enough to make sure the main applications get ported. But they aren't. There is no real world proof that 200K apps in the "store" is a driver for a smartphone platform. I find it an annoyance and I sure it discourages good developers as they need to spend more resources in marketing efforts.

Talking about user convenience, I think there lays the opportunity to move the masses towards privacy albeit via a little detour, since the convenience lays in what people think to know and feel familiar with, not in the fact that iOS or Android present such good user interfaces.

Especially iOS is the first OS I really observe an interface that tries to bind its users by drilling them into-counter intuitive habits as to get used to the familiar iOS.

Honnestly iOS 11 still amazes me. Try to take a picture? A menu pops up. iOS floating menu button covers the shutter button, but you didn't notice because it is also a white round button...
Why? Because after all Apple knows you did not really want to take that picture that very second. What a scam this is after 10 yrs.

This to say, the laziness to do it right (as clearly shown by one major unforgivable example) by the big, rich monopolists offers an opportunity for the privacy phone to do that other thing right: the interface. A phone WITH a good interface is something that could still take off.

So far Jolla only offered a good interface but no hardware to run it on, and especially not the security. You have to trust apps because they are FOSS.
When Jolla saw a potential contract in India, they quickly went on to Andoiridnize the interface a little bit in Sailfish OS 2.0, to make it look and feel more mainstream.
So that is the reason I am not using Sailfish right now, I have neither of both security and interface. I could not explain 100% sure to a friend that is using Google Android and Google TV or what is it called why he should switch to Jolla Sailfish.

Give me Maemo 5 interface, the basebandmodem security option, integrated core apps (it doesn't get any better than the Skype integration Maemo 5 enjoyed but make it only privacy centered ones such as Wire, Signal , Telegram or whatever is acceptable) and last but not least leave me a button to toggle that allows me to decide if I want apps auto close.

Then I will be able explain to a friend potential backer why he needs this.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 70 | Thanked: 357 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Europe
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
When Jolla saw a potential contract in India, they quickly went on to Andoiridnize the interface a little bit in Sailfish OS 2.0, to make it look and feel more mainstream.
I think they did Sailfish OS 2.0 because of the tablet, and I personally think it worked well. I find 2.0 a big improvement over the 1.* on both my Jolla phone and tablet. It's the one UI that works consistently well on both form factors, in fact even their smart watch proof-of-concept looks great! I also find it better than the N900 (though it's so many years I used one, I don't remember it that well).

Jolla's current roadmap is focusing on security options, e.g. data encryption, VPN, email. That's a must have for business users, and I think it's the right focus.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Pim For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
People are free to be unreasonable, and its to be expected in a space started by a guy who refuses to compromise on basically anything at all.
If you only accept all or nothing, you will get nothing.

Howgh.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Pim View Post
Jolla's current roadmap is focusing on security options, e.g. data encryption, VPN, email. That's a must have for business users, and I think it's the right focus.
True. And if they intend to advertise seciroty and privacy, it's pretty much necessary to focus on them as full device encryption has become more or less an standard quite some time ago...

The Following User Says Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post: