Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
IIRC Execute in place relied on a particular kind of memory chip that would be impractical in today's more complex systems but yes the jump from UIQ 2 to 3 where they also did this despite the improved hardware and more RAM resulted in death of UIQ IMHO.
AFAIK XIP only works with NOR-Flash, which is not that common anymore (I think you could not make them really big like with NAND).

SRAM was also cool (my HP-48 has that but way too expensive..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 359 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
AFAIK XIP only works with NOR-Flash, which is not that common anymore (I think you could not make them really big like with NAND).

SRAM was also cool (my HP-48 has that but way too expensive..
Well, "Non-volatile Memory" support is being worked on for Linux, so "execute in place will be relevant again a few years down the road.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikelima For This Useful Post:
Posts: 69 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ kerala
Originally Posted by llelectronics View Post
Technically speaking Maemo and Meego did not change a thing qhen it comes to oom. They left the defaults of debian and turned oom active killing off. So kills only happen when the min_free value is crossed. But I never came so far as the whole system would stutter and freeze when memory gets really full until it comes to a halt.

So in general the fine tuning of Jolla for SailfishOS is a little bit cleverer as I never got so far and always had a working device.
@ llelectronics

At the risk of being considered naive , i have a question. Every now and then in the forums , i read sailfish users complaining about apps closing in the background. Even with very heavy usage , my N9 and N900 rarely got into a state where it becomes completely unresponsive. So what would be the reason for sailfish having to kill apps in the background more frequently than N9 0r N900 even with cleverer fine tuning ?Is it only because of alien dalvik?This single problem questions my mind every time i think about buying an OPX or nexus and load sailfish in it. Sometimes i get the feeling other than the big brother stuff , there is nothing sailfish brings over android.

P S : I have never used a sailfish phone. Forums are my only info source.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to padmaraj.ravi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
@padmaraj.ravi,

The answer is very simple. The reason is the criminally inefficient use of resources in Sailfish, particularly RAM. You will have people blaming Alien Dalvik (AD) but I have never allowed AD touch my Jolla and still see apps killed at the background.

The biggest change that brought most Out-Of-Memory (OOM) problems was the 1.0.8 update that upgraded Qt. After that, you were lucky to run more than three apps simultaneously, even without AD. For me, it was sometimes enough to run just one(!), the browser. Have two tabs open and try opening the third - bang! The browser gets killed.

To Jolla's credit, the 2.0.0 update fixed a lot of OOM issues. In fact, since 2.0.0 came out, I have seen only one instance of an app killed by OOM.
Others' experiences may vary if they use AD. For them, 2.0.0 may or may not have fixed the problem, or it may have made it worse.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 2,004 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ Fin
Moar info.
Smartphones from Gregory Berezkina will appear later this year. They will be running modified Sailfish OS

Google translated version

The general director of the Russian office of Lenovo Gleb Mishin said that Lenovo will discuss the possibility of partnership with Jolla and its Russian shareholders.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to eekkelund For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Modified OS how? An extra back door? Why would they modify the OS?

Levono with real sailfish without modified OS would be nice.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 2,004 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ Fin
SailfisOS Reviews updated their post.

Update, May 11, 2016:

I requested more information about the news below from Jolla. Here is the official update via Juhani Lassila, Head of Communications at Jolla, Finland:

"Jolla Ltd. has licensed Sailfish OS to a Russian company Open Mobile Platform. This company was established in order to localize Sailfish OS, enrich it with domestic Russian services and preinstalled applications and to adopt it for Russian smartphones and tablets. During this work developers of Open Mobile Platform will contribute back to open source part of Sailfish OS project"

"Open Mobile Platform is not only promoting its Sailfish OS based product but investing own recourses for Russian Sailfish OS community support. Jolla continues developing and licensing Sailfish OS, and actively participates in the related open source projects."

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to eekkelund For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by padmaraj.ravi View Post
So what would be the reason for sailfish having to kill apps in the background more frequently than N9 0r N900 even with cleverer fine tuning ?
Part of the problem is also that as software grows older, it grows larger and needs more memory. On one hand it's logical because you can't get extra stuff without extra space to put it in, but on the other hand it could be so much better. In an ideal world, everyone would be running operating systems like KolibriOS, but the ideal and the real world unfortunately don't overlap.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
[OT]Thanks for the pointer, I am keen to try KolibriOS on an old subnotebook I purchased recently. I like the fact that true to their mission, their website is also lightweight and loads instantly, even in the Jolla's browser.[/OT]

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
It's of course true that software tends to get bloated when new features are added. Efficient optimization mitigates it to some degree as well as other design choices (just thinking how my wife's iPhone 5S works with just 1gb of RAM), however doing it requires time and resources, both which Jolla has lacked since from the beginning. It's balancing between time to delivery, features and money. Positive part is that now developer base for Sailfish is increasing. However, I have some reservations about the ownership of the company as I don't yet know how closely it's tied to Kremlin and how it might affect the development in the future.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post: