Notices

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by rdorsch View Post
Hello,

I worked through the maemo package for the n900 from chollya.org and updated it to the new version 4503.

Thanks,
Rainer
Thanks Rainer. I've been using modrana for a while as it has generally met my needs but i haven't given up on the hope of a polished vector map app. I installed from your repo using the freetype-navit option and tested this newer release of navit.

This release seems stable and the search actually appears to work in a reasonable way now. I also tried the QML UI, which i haven't been able to make work previously. The QML UI fixes three problems:
  • Using standard X close icon properly exits the program.
  • Full screen button works and doesn't cause a crash.
  • Keyboard works.
However, it also brings some problems of its own, specifically there are textbox focus and layout problems in the menus, and a few options seem to be missing.

It would be interesting to know whether the qtpainter or gtk renderer is faster (any volunteers to benchmark?), and likewise whether the qml or internal GUI is better when properly configured. I suspect it wouldn't be too hard to fix most of the issues with the QML -- perhaps simply a matter of tweaking the skin or enabling svg.

Here are simple instructions for installation. With a repo available it's definitely the easiest it has been. Unfortunately, configuration is still the hardest part.

This should be used instead of my earlier script-based instructions from last year
To install:
  • Add the repository to the sources list in FAPman (Manage repositories) as follows:
    URL http://bokomoko.de/~rd/maemo/
    Distribution unstable/
    Components (leave empty)
    Don't forget to enable the repo with the checkbox at the bottom!
  • Choose "Install Applications"
  • Click on the C icon (Category filter) and scroll down to select All packages (ADVANCED)
  • Type "navit" to find packages
  • Mark libfreetype6-navit, navit, navit-graphics-qt-qpainter, navit-gui-qml for install*
  • Install.
* This is if you intend to use qpainter and QML. If you mark the navit package only, it will pull in the default navit-gui-internal and gtk renderer packages iirc. There's no harm in installing all of them if you want to try different renderers or GUIs.

At this point you have a working install of navit, but need to configure it and download a map from the Navit Planet Extractor. Make sure you grab as small a map as will meet your needs, because the size of the map definitely affects navit performance. You can get multiple maps and enable/disable them as needed.

You will need to grab one of the configuration file archives kicking around here and uncompress them to /home/user/.navit (aka ~/.navit). Then modify maps.xml to point to the map that you downloaded to or copied to your N900, and modify navit.xml to choose the appropriate renderer and GUI. You should be able to do so following the existing file and comments. I recommend leafpad for this. Be sure not to do any of this as root!

For QML we have to specify the skin and icon directory as described on the navit wiki. The QML line will end up looking something like this:
Code:
<gui type="qml" enabled="yes" source="/opt/navit/share/navit/skins" icon_src="/opt/navit/share/navit/xpm/" />
Good luck!

Edit: You will need to download new maps if yours are as old as mine were. If navit opens and you see the map display before it crashes, the map format is the problem.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2011-06-18 at 02:46. Reason: Typo

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:

The Following User Says Thank You to Omer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 88 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Solingen; Germany
hi. I see you got problems installing and configure navit.. I could help you getting it well packaged .
I already made navit packages for Ubuntu in the past which got already different OSD layouts and you where able to choose one by installing the one you prefer.
If you like let us collect OSD layouts and other maemo specific optimizions, so I can put them into well packages

Posts: 101 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Stuttgart, Germany
Flandry,

thanks for working on a QML configuration. This could allow us to upload navit to maemo extras very soon (currently the build of navit-data with the pngs is painful and not supported by the autobuilder).

Can you post somewhere the QML configuration you use? Or did you change just the single line you posted?

As a side note, I uploaded navit svn r4538 to bokomoko, any feedback is welcome...

Thanks,

Rainer

Posts: 88 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Solingen; Germany
Is Navit now working stabler? I used the navit version at extras-testing today and it was crashing every >5mins.

Btw. I'm willing to split navit and it's conf into different packages. If you like I could try to finish that. I just made a source package that builds navit against the latest freefont staticly. So no extra packages for freefont are needed.

The Following User Says Thank You to thopiekar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 101 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Stuttgart, Germany
thopiekar,

I think, what is in extras-testing is terribly outdated. Post #511 explains how to install a recent navit version from bokomoko.de. I have no stability issue at all with that version.

Also there are fixed freetype packages, i.e. no need for static linking anymore (which wastes valuable main memory in your N900).

Any improvement in the configuration area is excellent.

Thanks,
Rainer

The Following User Says Thank You to rdorsch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Thanks Rainer. I've been using modrana for a while as it has generally met my needs but i haven't given up on the hope of a polished vector map app. I installed from your repo using the freetype-navit option and tested this newer release of navit.

This release seems stable and the search actually appears to work in a reasonable way now. I also tried the QML UI, which i haven't been able to make work previously. The QML UI fixes three problems:
  • Using standard X close icon properly exits the program.
  • Full screen button works and doesn't cause a crash.
  • Keyboard works.
However, it also brings some problems of its own, specifically there are textbox focus and layout problems in the menus, and a few options seem to be missing.

It would be interesting to know whether the qtpainter or gtk renderer is faster (any volunteers to benchmark?), and likewise whether the qml or internal GUI is better when properly configured. I suspect it wouldn't be too hard to fix most of the issues with the QML -- perhaps simply a matter of tweaking the skin or enabling svg.

Here are simple instructions for installation. With a repo available it's definitely the easiest it has been. Unfortunately, configuration is still the hardest part.

This should be used instead of my earlier script-based instructions from last year
To install:
  • Add the repository to the sources list in FAPman (Manage repositories) as follows:
    URL http://bokomoko.de/~rd/maemo/
    Distribution unstable/
    Components (leave empty)
    Don't forget to enable the repo with the checkbox at the bottom!
  • Choose "Install Applications"
  • Click on the C icon (Category filter) and scroll down to select All packages (ADVANCED)
  • Type "navit" to find packages
  • Mark libfreetype6-navit, navit, navit-graphics-qt-qpainter, navit-gui-qml for install*
  • Install.
* This is if you intend to use qpainter and QML. If you mark the navit package only, it will pull in the default navit-gui-internal and gtk renderer packages iirc. There's no harm in installing all of them if you want to try different renderers or GUIs.

At this point you have a working install of navit, but need to configure it and download a map from the Navit Planet Extractor. Make sure you grab as small a map as will meet your needs, because the size of the map definitely affects navit performance. You can get multiple maps and enable/disable them as needed.

You will need to grab one of the configuration file archives kicking around here and uncompress them to /home/user/.navit (aka ~/.navit). Then modify maps.xml to point to the map that you downloaded to or copied to your N900, and modify navit.xml to choose the appropriate renderer and GUI. You should be able to do so following the existing file and comments. I recommend leafpad for this. Be sure not to do any of this as root!

For QML we have to specify the skin and icon directory as described on the navit wiki. The QML line will end up looking something like this:
Code:
<gui type="qml" enabled="yes" source="/opt/navit/share/navit/skins" icon_src="/opt/navit/share/navit/xpm/" />
Good luck!

Edit: You will need to download new maps if yours are as old as mine were. If navit opens and you see the map display before it crashes, the map format is the problem.
Thank you very much for your help, I've installed the repository in the stock application manager, and then I did (as root):

- apt-get update
- apt-get install libfreetype6-navit navit-data navit navit-gui-gtk navit-graphics-gtk-drawing-area maptool

(I added maptool only just because)

Now, I downloaded the maps in the navit planet extractor, finally got a .bin file. Now, where I need to put the .bin file? I've tried in /home/user/.navit/ but I don't see any map in the app. I need to use maptool?

Thank you! Regards!

Last edited by faktorqm; 2011-07-04 at 04:41. Reason: typo

The Following User Says Thank You to faktorqm For This Useful Post:
is gamin maps working on this version? anyone tried?

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Macedonia
Just wanted to say thanks to everybody still helping with this.
I had given up on Navit but since installing the latest version from the bokomoko repository, enabling the QT graphics and gui, and downloading a new map, it all clicked into place. It looks very usable now.

The Following User Says Thank You to kovach For This Useful Post:
Yes, this version is very usefull. The devel version is very old.

Now, I've read this page http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/OpenStreetMaps and enable the open street map in the xml file

Code:
<mapset>
 <map type="binfile" enabled="yes" data="/path/to/your/map/my_Navit_map.bin" />
</mapset>
in /etc/navit/navit.xml

Now, the city search is working, I can search for names of the cities, but in the main windows I see:

If I can search cities names, the map is working, now, what is wrong in my navit main page?

Thank you very much for your help! Regards!!

The Following User Says Thank You to faktorqm For This Useful Post:

Tags
navigation, navit, nokia n900, openstreetmap