Poll: Which decision?
Poll Options
Which decision?

Hey guys I have a decision to make, and just am interested in your thoughts.

I was hunting for presents for my little brother (love him heaps, god bless), and wanted to get something special for him. He's 14yo and in Jr High School. He has a Nokia dumbphone, a DSi (very few games) and shares my aging HP laptop with my mum, and its battery dead so it must be connected into a wall if you want to use it. I live 1,000kms away and he really misses me, cause I only get to see him once only a few months. So I really want to get him something special, he will really love using and that it would remind him of me

And 2 days ago, I bought an iPhone 4 (32GB, factory unlocked, good condition=minor scratches). I bought it for dirt-cheap from a co-worker.

So I was wondering;
1) Should I use the iPhone 4 and send him my pristine condition (custom ROM) Galaxy S I9000.
2) Should I send him the iPhone 4 (need to buy the box and accessories).
3) Should I sell it (AU$600-$800) and get him something else (right now the iPad2 is in my view).

Now here's the dilemma:
-I don't know if he would like the Galaxy S, the apps are not that great and the lack of a keyboard means emulators are unhappy experiences.
-The iPhone 4 is so simple to use, and all the Apps, he'd love it, but since its a really desired product.... his friends/someone could plot to steal off him. And the next iphone will come out in 6months and make this one look very inferior.
-The iPad2 is released, and its got everything (cameras, speakers, processor, sofware) to make it the best tablet of the year (until iPad3 lol). With its ability to run normal iphone apps and ipad-developed apps, its a better experience than the iphone 4. But the thing is he can't grab it like a psp/console and he can't take it everywhere like the iphone. It won't have gps and it wont really replace all of his need to use Windows Vista.

I found a trusted retailers ad to grab the iPad2 for very cheap (16GB, Wifi, Black), so it is very very enticing, but it will mean I would have to tell him I will send it later, rather than sooner.

... So what should I do, I'm so lost in trying to gift something magical (ok I kid, I kid)

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Guess u'v already made a decision for "I-pad2"... just go with it...

The Following User Says Thank You to immi.shk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 145 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Finland
Sell the iphone and buy hi m a nokia N900 and you can call via skype video calls and he wont be needing an old laptop after he gets n900.

The Following User Says Thank You to KetkuFIN For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Dang! I thought its a competition or a contest where we need to answer difficult questions or solve a math problem

on topic... Isnt he too young for an iPad ? I mean its a device taht costs around 700 and he is only 14 years old.... In my opinion you should sell the iPhone and get him something else

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

The Following User Says Thank You to HellFlyer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 247 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on May 2010 @ limassol cyprus
Why dont you just ask him.

better yet just give him the iphone 4 that way he can skype you or play games and surf the net.....(thats if you cant afford anything else) otherwise give him the i-phone as is and buy him the ipad too. WOW i wish someone would buy me something!

The Following User Says Thank You to n900 lover For This Useful Post:
IMO, If he does love gaming, sell the iPhone and get him a Alienware M11x C2D laptop. It costs 699$ new in the US. All his friends would love it, and it isn't easy to steal. He could use it to skype you as well. 11.6" and 1.8kgs make it portable. It's battery life is similar to an n900.
A laptop will help him a lot with studies - better than a smartphone or tablet.
I've never seen a boy who wouldn't be hugely impressed by an Alienware.

Last edited by di1in; 2011-03-13 at 08:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to di1in For This Useful Post:
Posts: 800 | Thanked: 957 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ India
seriously bro ask his opinion. although upad sound good, he may have no use for it. maybe if he's geeky, he may like android and its flexibilty. maybe he's a normal kid who loves to flaunt his iphone. And don't worry about ppl stealing it off him. You can't shelter him forever. Let him learn to take care of it. Also remind him of the value and power of the device. Dont let it be a glorified juskebox/console

My apps for N9:
LockScreenQuotes
USbS

If you feel I have helped you, don't forget to press Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to ejasmudar For This Useful Post:
There's some really good advice here, thanks guys.
I still am not 100% on what to do, but I feel like if I sold the iPhone 4 it would be good. Because if I hold on to it, it'll just lose value.

This way I can get him something else, and if I change my mind I can always buy another iPhone 4 off ebay. He is a normal kid, not too technical (he cant handle the N900). Besides a DSi from mum (last year), he's never actually gotten anything valuable for himself (i'm a little poor), and I feel like he should because I was the one who sort of fathered him.

The Alienware is a really good idea, that way he can not get frustrated using my fat, heavy, burning, AMD laptop. If I have enough, the 11" Macbook Air might also be good (its very portable like an iPad).

I still appreciate any ideas

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
There's some really good advice here, thanks guys.
I still am not 100% on what to do, but I feel like if I sold the iPhone 4 it would be good. Because if I hold on to it, it'll just lose value.

I still appreciate any ideas
iPad is a good choice too for non technical.

"I found a trusted retailers ad to grab the iPad2 for very cheap (16GB, Wifi, Black), "

As far as I know since iPad2 just released 2 days ago, there is "NO way" you can get iPad 2 very cheap (look at the skyrocket price at eBay). Hopefully its not a scam website.

The Following User Says Thank You to tirtawn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
If you can swap that iPhone 4 for an iPad2 (with some change, even), then that may give you the best bang for the buck.

Meaning, it's a low maintenance device that your mom and bro can operate and enjoy on their own and make use to communicate with you too (video chat, etc). Oh, and it's currently a pretty dang hot item too... so I'm guessing that getting an iPad2 from you will really excite them.

On top of that, you're giving them something magical (i kid... i kid...).
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:

Tags
brother, galaxy, ipad2, iphone, present