Notices

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
But have you ever traveled from Aachen/Germany to Paris/France via Belgium? There is one 'exit' where.you really 'leave' the current motorway to the left.
Yes! I have! Three times, in fact. Never had any problem in that direction, but the first time I drove in the opposite direction, I missed that exit and ended up in the centre of Bruxelles (It was almost 20 years ago, I did not have a satnav at that time.)

@otsaloma, I kinda figured it was probably the accuracy. It is a useful piece of info but not necessarily on the main screen. Perhaps a second screen with GPS info? That should fit even the use cases Zeta mentioned. And yes, I agree, I was commenting from a drive-centric view, but of course WhoGo can be used for other things too.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
Here in the US, most exits are on the right, but maybe one in twenty or so is a left exit. For those, it is really useful to know which side of the road to start heading towards before you get there.
but in that case, every nav that I used so far it was something like "keep the left/right line" some few hundreds meteres before the exit. So if you did what was told you were already on the right side of the road before that "turn/left/right or take the exit". And anyway, my comment was strictly about roundabouts because they have exits only in driving direction. I'm driving on the right at home, but on those few ocasions when I was driving in the UK even without the navigation it never cross my mind to look for exit on the right. Entering the wrong lane on empty road is another thing

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
And anyway, my comment was strictly about roundabouts because they have exits only in driving direction.
Roundabouts are a lost cause
In Nantes, France, they are well known for doing absolutely strange things with roundabouts.
They have especially invented the "double-roundabout", where while turning around the first-one, you have to stop and wait to enter a second one to continue...

There are several like this, during rush hour, it is not easy to describe the directions even by a human so not easy with a GPS.

They have even done better : put a car park entrance in the middle of the roundabout:

There is a (french) blog post about this, where they joke about all stupid version of roundabouts they have : the 500meters long nascar like one, the square roundabout, the double, and even in the middle of cemetery...
https://inconvenantes.wordpress.com/...ints-a-nantes/

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Pfft...

(wikipedia article)

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
I know there is another one near Houslow and Heathrow Airport... Exactly 5 mini roundabouts inside a huge roundabout.

I think the (only?) advantage is that you could take a short-cut turning right, instead of go through the big roundabout you could turn right on the first mini-roundabout. And maybe adding some difficulty on a driving test. I'm lucky I didn't have mine around it...

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2018-04-05 at 23:18.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
They have even done better : put a car park entrance in the middle of the roundabout
OK, you win. Double roundabouts, magic roundabouts, even hamburger roundabouts are a commonplace here but yours is definitely a winner.

Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
"Take exit 4 on the left toward A404 etc"
Take exit 4 is enough.
To clarify, "exit 4", in this case, does not mean "exit 4 of the roundabout". Every motorway exit has a number and this one was number 4. So I would argue that even the number was redundant and a simple "take the exit" would be quite enough.

I paid more attention to this following this discussion yesterday. WhoGo consistently gives directions in the format, "<manoeuvre> to <street name or road number>". Examples - "turn left to Baker Street", "turn right to A44", or "take exit 4 to A404 High Wycombe etc". In all these cases, I would prefer a simple, "turn left", "turn right" or "take the exit", i.e. leave out the street name altogether. That seems to be a simple config option, but only otsaloma could confirm or deny it with confidence.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
hamburger roundabouts
Oh yeah, roundabouts with traffic lights! Exactly what roundabouts were made for...

I personally like the mentioning of street names or exit numbers to make sure I can cross-check on my own (e.g. streets following very close and GPS signal weak often led me to take the wrong one,..)
So optionial to disable would be nice (but not requested by me ).

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Oh yeah, roundabouts with traffic lights! Exactly what roundabouts were made for...
You ain't seen nothing yet

Years ago, my mum came for a visit. She wanted to try out the driving on the left so we went for a drive, with me giving her directions. At one point, I told her to go straight across the roundabout. She went, "what roundabout?" I said, "this one", pointing a finger. She went, "WHERE????", all while we were moving, of course. Even when I said, "you are right in the middle of it", she still did not get what I was on about.

The upshot, people from other countries may not be used to roundabouts several hundred metres across, with a big green field or even a road junction in the middle. My mum was only used to what here in the UK would be "mini-roundabouts".

So, yeah, roundabouts with traffic lights are much more common than you would expect.

Of course, some people argue that the M25 (the London orbital motorway) is the biggest roundabout in the UK

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 169 | Thanked: 194 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Austria
i have one suggestion for the night mode to change the color of the text like speed and accuracy to white, because it is not visible then in night mode

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to smatkovi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Of course, some people argue that the M25 (the London orbital motorway) is the biggest roundabout in the UK
*Biggest car park!

Bane of my life, and I'm generally only trying to get past the M25 junction on the A3, whereas everyone else seems to think it's a good idea to use all three lanes of the A3 to queue for the exit...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post: