Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
Will you be going back to Jolla in any sort of role?
I currently contract w/ Jolla for a number of hours (I still want to see SailfishOS succeed), but it's not my only customer; and that money goes to help finance my other batshit insane projects. I don't represent Jolla in any way.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Signing keys/BIOS may possibly be quite different since they're running Android. I wouldn't personally get one.
Hmm, that's a possible bummer - thanks for the heads-up!

I currently contract w/ Jolla for a number of hours (I still want to see SailfishOS succeed), but it's not my only customer; and that money goes to help finance my other batshit insane projects.
Good luck!

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
That is assuming there were more web shoppers than currently available tablets. I have no data (obviously, no one does) but I doubt it.

My calculation goes like this. Assuming 12000 backers, 500 web shoppers, €300 per tablet. Rounded for easier math and illustration. First wave.

1) Current Jolla plan
500 backers get tablets. Jolla pays €0.
11500 backers get 50% refund. Jolla pays 11500 x €150 = €1,725,000
500 web shoppers get 100% refund. Jolla pays 500 x €300 = €150,000
Total cost in the first wave, €1,875,000

2) My suggestion
500 web shoppers get tablets. Jolla pays €0.
12000 backers get 50% refund. Jolla pays 12000 x €150 = €1,800,000.
Total cost in the first wave, €1,800,000

OK so a €75k saving is not that much but there are additional benefits:
* IGG backers would be treated equally
* IGG backers knew (or should have) what they were getting themselves into
* Web shoppers bought their tablets later so for them the HW would be less out of date
Perhaps the web shoppers would have greater consumer rights than the IGG backers, potentially resulting in additional support costs.

My website

GitHub

Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
Well why did they say that tablet buyers would not be left empty-handed?

https://blog.jolla.com/new-years-greetings-jolla/
They obviously plan something, but don't have all the details yet or cannot disclose it yet. In last community meeting that much was confirmed. My guess it that it has something to do with Intex devices. Another possibility is Fairphone, but it might still be in it's infancy even if HW adaptation has already been done.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
Originally Posted by coley View Post
True - but did they not spin off the h/w entity already?
Also this would just be a purchase transaction of already manu goods.

-Coley.
I think that was the plan, but I can't see it operating as little more than a legacy operation that is handling repairs/warranties for existing customers.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
I currently contract w/ Jolla for a number of hours (I still want to see SailfishOS succeed), but it's not my only customer; and that money goes to help finance my other batshit insane projects. I don't represent Jolla in any way.
Good luck my friend!

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Its great that you help Jolla out. Please limit your time spent since a few hours of your time will result in one less refund

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Its great that you help Jolla out. Please limit your time spent since a few hours of your time will result in one less refund
Ha Ha! You are a riot! Your comment is so inspiring I would like to make the suggestion that Maemo.org proclaim Feb,1 International Thank Dave Day. Everyone should thank one (if not more) of Dave's post that day. Perhaps, to add balance Feb 2 could be International Remove your Thanks to Dave Day. But that I'll leave that up to Dave...

Seriously, that post made my day!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I have to truly commend how civil everybody has been once this final announcement was published from Jolla.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I have to truly commend how civil everybody has been once this final announcement was published from Jolla.
Yeah. It's more like the Cold War now. Both sides are suspicious

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund