Open the file main.conf in your text editor of choice (notes/leafpad/etc) on your N900 and just edit the line (remove the network and input entries) and then save the file over the old one. Be warned to stay away from editing the file in for example Windows computer and then transfer it back, because some editor add extra linebreak characters that may break the functionality of the .conf file.

Leafpad is my choice, and can be found in repos. Just install it with HAM, FAPman or apt-get and run it in the x-terminal like

Code:
leafpad /etc/bluetooth/main.conf

The Following User Says Thank You to Kossuth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 65 | Thanked: 113 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Austria
Quick success report:

The N900 can provide Internet access to an Android Nexus 7 tablet (2012 / wifi only) via bluetooth pan.

On the tablet I used the app "EasyTether Pro". With this app, I have a check box for my paired bluetooth devices to "use as Internet connection". On m N900 I followed the bluetooth-pan setup from the wiki page.

(Note: Today 2014-11-15 this app is free of charge via amazon-app-shop)

Last edited by scy; 2014-11-15 at 12:35. Reason: Added Android to make it searchable

The Following User Says Thank You to scy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 31 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Ireland
Following the upgrade of Busybox Power to busybox-power_1.21.1power1, as described here, it is necessary to change all occurrences of /usr/bin/brctl in /etc/udev/rules.d/50-bnep.rules to /usr/sbin/brctl in the configuration described in Viqsi's post 258 in the present thread.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zerox For This Useful Post:
Posts: 105 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Hungary
Guys,
Is there any way to share the N900's wifi connection to an old WM2003 PDA via bluetooth?

Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by dy1ng View Post
Guys,
Is there any way to share the N900's wifi connection to an old WM2003 PDA via bluetooth?
Depends on if the PDA supports one of the following bt connection methods then it is possible.

PAN
rfcomm ppp
(DUN - I think you can only use the modem not wifi)

Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
I have given up on getting QT Mobile Hotspot to work on my Nexus 7 flo, even after switching from Ubuntu Touch to Cyanogen no luck in establishing a working ad-hoc network.
So now I have PAN installed using this:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=258
and with these changes:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=283

It works, I am even posting this with my Ubuntu laptop over the PAN connection.
Still no working internet connection to the Nexus 7(2013) running Cyanogen 12.1-20151029.
I can pair, I click the bluetooth box for internet connection, but no actual connection begins working, only infrastructure WiFI points work so far, and I don't know the console commands in Android to diagnose the network.
I would be happy if I could find ANY way to tether my Nexus to My N900, because the price paid for a tablet is lost for the most part, except when flying, if I am unable to use the tablet online when mobile.

Last edited by biketool; 2015-10-30 at 09:48.

@biketool
You can try also genwall to make a wifi hotspot (ad-hoc) or to make a pan connection and forward your internet to the client. Will add wifi ad-hoc to genwall help soon.

For ad-hoc and a crippled android this looks interesting.

I don't own an useless android device but maybe I can lend one to make a tutorial for forwarding internet to it.

Yea, android is not a normal linux, no familiar networking command except ping works, but Ubuntu Touch which is better on the normal shell commands is still too much an app desert.
I had hoped that since I couldn't get ad-hoc hotspot functioning with Ubuntu on the Nexus Cyanogen and F-Droid would get me the function I wanted.

Does genwall clash with the persistent PAN settings, ie. do I need to undo the changes?
What is the deal with crippled droid devices, is it the drivers, hardware, or what? I had thought that Cyanogen would do the job giving me a rooted device with full access.

Last edited by biketool; 2015-10-30 at 12:40.

Originally Posted by biketool View Post
Does genwall clash with the persistent PAN settings, ie. do I need to undo the changes?
At least you need to remove 50-bnep.rules file because genwall is working with bnep and you don't need a bridge.
In principle genwall do not change system files and should work with stock firmware + kernel power.
However genwall is highly configurable thats why it is maybe not so easy.

For bluetooth you need to edit /etc/bluetooth/main.conf for activating the bluetooth network which you already did.

Originally Posted by biketool View Post
What is the deal with crippled droid devices, is it the drivers, hardware, or what? I had thought that Cyanogen would do the job giving me a rooted device with full access.
I don't know so much about the software mods of android devices. But I guess the hardware is not limiting.

My own experience with android device were very bad, because they not supporting features which I use everyday, so they were useless for me and working with them and get things running were very time consuming compared to a personal computer and all my former smartphones.

However maybe I am thinking to much that a smartphone or tablet should behave like a computer.
But nowadays this is definitely not the case. They are mainly made for people who don't have a clue about pc's.

Originally Posted by Halftux View Post
My own experience with android device were very bad, because they not supporting features which I use everyday, so they were useless for me and working with them and get things running were very time consuming compared to a personal computer and all my former smartphones.

However maybe I am thinking to much that a smartphone or tablet should behave like a computer.
But nowadays this is definitely not the case. They are mainly made for people who don't have a clue about pc's.
My feelings exactly, and my first experience was with a worthless unrooted Nook Android tablet. I have to either decide that it is possible to obtain a N900 like experience, light computer without a physical keyboard, with this tablet in Cyanogen or Ubuntu Touch or if I can accept that it is a $300 PDF viewer. Getting the tablet to tether with the N900 for net is key though.

(EDIT)
I would actually prefer to use PAN, but perhaps Android/Cyanogen wifi just needs a wpa supplicant even for open mode?
http://www.androidsim.net/2011/08/ho...-networks.html

Last edited by biketool; 2015-10-31 at 16:55.

Tags
bluetooth-pan, tethering