Posts: 147 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Finland
Findings so far...in order of severity (descending).

1. While some of the keys were fairly unresponsive at first but have gotten better over time, my S key is still very unresponsive; I have to press it properly hard for it to register. K and U are almost as bad. This is my number one worry right now as most of the other annoyances are likely fixable by tweaking the software.

2. Occasionally, a key gets stuck down. No matter what I do short of disconnecting the keyboard (which doesn't always work), I get an endless input of whichever key. So far I've had this happen on several character keys or space, but also backspace (!).
Note: I also sometimes see this with the terminal VKB. When that happens, pressing the stuck key again stops the repetition.

3. Now and then, keyboard stops working until reconnected.

4. Quick consecutive keypresses result in the first character being double-registered. Like, quickly press l then e, result is lle. My repeat delays in the settings are set to the highest possible values, yet this still happens.

5. When performing a Ctrl+a Ctrl+x -combo or similar, I have to lift Ctrl key between pressing a and x; otherwise the second keypress is treated as non-modifier input (select all and "x").

6. The bottom left corner of the keyboard has its own backlight, separate from the rest?
See suggestion at the end of this post

7. When the keyboard is fitted in the same orientation as on the N900 (device rotated 90 degrees to the left), the keyboard blocks flash even when in open position. I then tried rotating the keyboard to the other side, which left the flash led unobstructed, but the display didn't rotate so it was upside down. The landscape lock when keyboard is open is probably the culprit?

Has anyone else encountered these?

Suggestion: shift/Fn function like on the N900
As in, press shift or Fn once and it will apply that modifier to the next keypress (unless the next keypress is the same modifier again which cancels it).
EDIT:
It already seems to have this; pressing Ctrl lights up the left Fn key, pressing Ctrl again turns the light off. While the light is on, the next keypress has Ctrl modifier. Very nice.

Last edited by Aonsaithya; 2015-06-15 at 07:28.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Aonsaithya For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Aonsaithya View Post
[...]
EDIT:
It already seems to have this; pressing Ctrl lights up the left Fn key, pressing Ctrl again turns the light off. While the light is on, the next keypress has Ctrl modifier. Very nice.
This seems to be the case for the shift key as well: double tap it and it lights up, suggesting that it can be used as a caps lock. No other effect than the light though, so most likely it will be activated with a coming update.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nicocys For This Useful Post:
After OS update, problems came back. Settings were the same.
-extra characters: clicking q: q@@, clicking w:w and two spaces etc.
-pressing o causes all leds turn off, but led between tabs and del keys lights very bright
-using keypad makes the phone unresponsive, boots itself, but boot will not finish, if TOHKBD is attached

etc...

Maybe needs severl reboots to work, who knows...

In my keyboard buttons z, x, c, v, b, n, m, ?, !, < and > doesn't work. When I push "z" I got "a", "x" gives "s" and "c" gives "d" etc.

Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by peltool View Post
In my keyboard buttons z, x, c, v, b, n, m, ?, !, < and > doesn't work. When I push "z" I got "a", "x" gives "s" and "c" gives "d" etc.
for hardware issues like that mail me at info@funkyotherhalf.com

The Following User Says Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 22 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Sweden
Got mine this morning and i thought I'd add my experience sofar, to balance the discussion.
There are some very minor software issues that I assumme will be fixed soon.
Hardware-wise, I love it! For me, everything works great. Insanely cleaver design that feels very solid and professional. I just snapped it on and the software installed automatically, like magic!

So to all you non-scandic people out there, you shouldn't worry too much. This is the reason I got aa Jolla in the first place, and it's a great product.

Great work you guys!!

Proudly typed on my "boring" all black TOHKBD

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Henque19 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 51 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Feb 2015 @ Mansester, FI
1. While some of the keys were fairly unresponsive at first but have gotten better over time, my S key is still very unresponsive; I have to press it properly hard for it to register. K and U are almost as bad. This is my number one worry right now as most of the other annoyances are likely fixable by tweaking the software.
In my case the unresponsive key has improved, but it still needs more force and the tactile response is almost non-existent. It is hard to believe what was told in the Kickstarter updates that all keypads were hand-tested (however, it was not clear if that applied to just the first batch or all manufactured keypads). If the manufacturer was paid for testing all pads, a complaint would be in place, the percentage of faulty pieces seems to be significant.

4. Quick consecutive keypresses result in the first character being double-registered. Like, quickly press l then e, result is lle. My repeat delays in the settings are set to the highest possible values, yet this still happens.
I can confirm this, although I seem to typo slow enough not to trigger this too often

5. When performing a Ctrl+a Ctrl+x -combo or similar, I have to lift Ctrl key between pressing a and x; otherwise the second keypress is treated as non-modifier input (select all and "x").
Yep.

7. When the keyboard is fitted in the same orientation as on the N900 (device rotated 90 degrees to the left), the keyboard blocks flash even when in open position. I then tried rotating the keyboard to the other side, which left the flash led unobstructed, but the display didn't rotate so it was upside down. The landscape lock when keyboard is open is probably the culprit?
I can confirm this.

Suggestion: shift/Fn function like on the N900
As in, press shift or Fn once and it will apply that modifier to the next keypress (unless the next keypress is the same modifier again which cancels it).
This would be in line with how the virtual keyboards work and so it woul be logical. Then again it is counter to how hw keyboards are gennerally used... Maybe that could be made configurable?

I have not encountered 2, 3 or 6.
One thing to add: Enter key is not working in TMO message editor using Webpirate (haven't tried other browsers yet). Rather annoying.

typed on my tohkbd2

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zagrim For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
7 Wasn't that made clear earlier in the thread before everything was manufactured? I seem to remember that Dirk had told us that the flash would be blocked but the camera would not so not sure why some had other expectations?

The Following User Says Thank You to vistaus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vistaus View Post
7 Wasn't that made clear earlier in the thread before everything was manufactured? I seem to remember that Dirk had told us that the flash would be blocked but the camera would not so not sure why some had other expectations?
I don't recall what the expectation was to be honest, but isn't it easiest to remove the keyboard altogether, take the picture and put it back again, rather than opening the keyboard and take a picture with a heavier and more awkward device?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
Mine just arrived in the mail! I have the normal QWERTY one with RED TOH, red casing and black carbon fiber back!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vistaus For This Useful Post:

Tags
keyboard, kickstarter, other half, tohkbd