Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by crasbelize View Post
Did anybody hear about this:Samsung decided to share!
They've been sharing since the release of the Galaxy S.

As I understand it (could be wrong), they have to in accordance with Android OS license.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
They've been sharing since the release of the Galaxy S.

As I understand it (could be wrong), they have to in accordance with Android OS license.
The only thing they're compelled to share is the Kernel. Everything else is under the Apache license, IIRC, which is similar to the BSD license in that software under the license can be kept closed. Additionally, they've provided raw tarballs and not version controlled repositories (bleh) of stuff that is changed from the Android repos. Nothing terribly interesting.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Okay throw whatever insults you want at me. I deserve it. I have cleverly managed to uninstall the built in ebook app without backing it up first (thought I had found better alternatives but was wrong). Anyway to get it back without reflashing the device (won't necessarily be the end of the world if it fixes the apps force closure issue I am having and navigation app not even working at all but would rather not go down that route)?

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Is Navigation part of Google Maps 5? I had assumed they were two separate apps since that is how they appear in the apps menu. That may explain why I could not find Navigation in Titanium Backup to backup, uninstall and reinstall (or maybe it was there and I just couldn't find it).
As for the navigation crashing it happens everytime I put in a destination. The app opens up fine but when I try to set destination that is when it crashes. Just the typical force closure issue. Screen goes black, device vibrates and then I get a message "Sorry! The application Maps (process com.google.android.apps.maps) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again" And then there is one option only "Force Close".

EDIT: Uninstalled and reinstalled Google Maps and still have the same problem so that is not a fix. Also tried using walking navigation rather than car (lol) but still got an immediate crash.
I know this sounds weird.. but.. try changing your default speech synthesizer to "espeak". I saw it mentioned here: http://www.google.com/support/forum/...c6d54a8b&hl=en

You can do this by going from your desktop, hitting the "Menu" soft key, tap "Settings", tap "Voice input and output", tap "Text-to-speech settings" and tap on "Default engine".

I'm using Pico TTS myself and I'm not running into problems, but it seemed to fix it for people who voted up that solution.

Let me know if that worked or not--I'm very curious.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Well, this is as good a place as any to mention that I expect not to be posting as much on this site as I've followed through on my threat to get a non-smart phone and in the future get a tablet for my leisure computing activities. Needless to say, the tablet won't be from Nokia, which no longer offers one. And the non-smart phone isn't either. I bought an N800, N810, and two N900s, but this is pretty much the end of the line. I am going to try to hold off on buying the tablet for a bit, as the best seems yet to come. I'm typing this on a Dell Latitude D400 I bought in Moscow almost ten years ago; now that I reformatted it and am running in Linux, it's faster than ever.
Along with the myriad of others who've graced this site, I will miss seeing your contributions and postings.

Originally Posted by crasbelize View Post
Did anybody hear about this:Samsung decided to share!
Old news, but man it's good news just the same, yes. Actually, it's something of a mixed blessing since (as mentioned earlier) there's a lot of tarballs and no repository. Still...

Okay throw whatever insults you want at me. I deserve it. I have cleverly managed to uninstall the built in ebook app without backing it up first (thought I had found better alternatives but was wrong). Anyway to get it back without reflashing the device (won't necessarily be the end of the world if it fixes the apps force closure issue I am having and navigation app not even working at all but would rather not go down that route)?
I wish I had an answer here but I'm in the US, where they sold us all a crippled experience in general. :P
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I know this sounds weird.. but.. try changing your default speech synthesizer to "espeak". I saw it mentioned here: http://www.google.com/support/forum/...c6d54a8b&hl=en

Let me know if that worked or not--I'm very curious.
Wow what do you know. Installed and switched to espeak and my navigation app is now working. Thanks man. You are a star.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post

I wish I had an answer here but I'm in the US, where they sold us all a crippled experience in general. :P
Lol. Think I don't really need it anymore. Aldiko seems fine. There were some books I bought from amazon but wanted to use on aldiko or the samsung ebook app so I could have all my books in one reader app instead of using kindle for some, aldiko or something else for others. The first one I tried looked weired on aldiko and so I assumed they were all like that. Tried another on ebook and it seemed fine so I assumed aldiko was the problem. But then tried the others on aldiko and they were fine. Tried the weird one on several other readers and it still came out weird so I am sure it would have been the same in ebook. Will just read it on kindle then use aldiko for the rest.

Speaking of different markets having different Tabs I discovered that nook books and google books reader are available in the US only (and maybe Canada - not sure). Well for those of us outside the UK that want to be able to get apps that are US specific do not despair. There is an app called market enabler which allows you to use the market for the US. Great thing this android ain't it? Don't get too excited though. Nook Books is quite rubbish compared to the other ereader apps and even if you download google ebook app you still can't download books from the app outside UK (although you can still do so on PC). But if there are apps you want that are not in your region's version of the market be sure to check out market enabler.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Wow what do you know. Installed and switched to espeak and my navigation app is now working. Thanks man. You are a star.
That's what I keep telling you people! I play with the stuff and I read around. I totally rock.

Ahem--still, I am boggled by that solution. It indicates to me that the speech-recognition libraries are loaded immediately at that dialog screen and that said libraries probably contain a bad bug, then. Fault is likely not on Maps, since it works with something else, it likely lies with PicoTTS. I hope they fix that pronto.

Lol. Think I don't really need it anymore. Aldiko seems fine.
I think Aldiko is, by far, the best of the bunch and certainly my personal favorite on Android. I hope they can make it work with Amazon--maybe a plugin architecture for Aldiko or something? If they were smart, they would open up a plugin api and freely share it to anyone that wanted it. We might see Nook prefer Aldiko, Amazon might like it too--maybe, Archive.org and the Gutenberg Project people certainly would love that. In addition to the shelf, you might have stores you can visit in Aldiko, see. The benefit there is that, for example, even though Gutenberg project has free books in there already, their name would be out there for the credit as the place you got the book from. Anyway, I'm just brainstorming aimlessly here.

But if there are apps you want that are not in your region's version of the market be sure to check out market enabler.
Actually, you've always been able to do this by editing the platform identifier in a text file. I forget where it is, but it's one of the "hacks" that the Nook Colors hackers (such as myself) use to fool Android Market into thinking the Nook is a Droid to reveal more stuff.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
It looks as though Samsung is experimenting with different sizes of its Tab. 8.9" Galaxy Tab is rumored to be arriving soon.

http://www.thegalaxytab.com/2011/02/...-samsung-soon/

8.9" is not a bad size at all, but doesn't seem to different from 10.1" in terms of usability.

Time will tell.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
heheh...ironically, my brother DESPERATELY wants a tablet now, too. He's torn between the higher priced Galaxy Tab like I have, and the far cheaper but seemingly perfectly functional Nook Color hacked. I suggested, so far, that he might want to consider going half-way by going to http://swappa.com and maybe picking up a used Galaxy Tab.

I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't get myself a second Tab from there just for hackitudes.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
It looks as though Samsung is experimenting with different sizes of its Tab. 8.9" Galaxy Tab is rumored to be arriving soon.

http://www.thegalaxytab.com/2011/02/...-samsung-soon/

8.9" is not a bad size at all, but doesn't seem to different from 10.1" in terms of usability.

Time will tell.
Similar size to the LG one isn't it? Not sure what to make of this size. Too big to fit into my pocket (unlike the Tab) so can't easily be carried out the house. Also too big to use lying down to surf the net or read ebooks. So real use would be when sitting down to use at home. In which case (if I don't want to use a laptop) would be better off getting a 10 inch tablet.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Similar size to the LG one isn't it? Not sure what to make of this size. Too big to fit into my pocket (unlike the Tab) so can't easily be carried out the house. Also too big to use lying down to surf the net or read ebooks. So real use would be when sitting down to use at home. In which case (if I don't want to use a laptop) would be better off getting a 10 inch tablet.
When are they going to make a 42" living room sized Android tablet TV already?

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy