Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
As I understand, it's acceptable to Nokia to sell innocent users non-optified files that may screw up their system, but this solution isn't acceptable? This would rescue the minefield Nokia created with OVI and the users gullible enough to purchase from it.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Is eMMC really that much slower than flash? I am booting of SD card on my n810 and I see zero speed difference. The file-system is no longer compressed, so it is less taxing on the system and takes care of the speed.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Berlin
Traversing a file path and resolving a link does not come for free. Putting / on a slow file system could slow down access to any file, even if it is on the fast file system itself.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin Holz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
Is eMMC really that much slower than flash? I am booting of SD card on my n810 and I see zero speed difference. The file-system is no longer compressed, so it is less taxing on the system and takes care of the speed.
i am also wondering about this. even if it is fast how much cpu usage (and battery) is lost again by the compressing/decompressing?
we have a fast cpu but that fast that we really dont notice that? if it was a dual core i guess it would be better but now we have to wait for decomprssing.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
/opt is the official way to go in the linux world anyway, so stop making a fuss about it.
We developers should stop messing in root (I catch myself falling into that trap again and again, last time with shutter install lirc configs into root even altough /opt works as well :-)

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

I doubt it. Android users have been booting off class 6 cards for more storage for a long time. The iPhone uses a similar board as the N900 and Apple get away without using the 256MB. Likewise Beagleboard users boot from memory cards.

It may be easier to put everything on the mmc and the swap on the internal flash. This way linux would deal with putting important files in faster storage for you. If the mmc is so slow I don't really see the point of using it for swap.

Getting Maemo 5 running from a good class 6 memory card should be the first step to removing this limitation.

I actually believe this 256mb partition being the reason why the N900 won't see Maemo 6.

The Following User Says Thank You to 406NotAcceptable For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
What if you loop-mounted a filesystem using aufs & chroot - similar to slax and linux-live?

E.g. My laptop at home does not have linux installed to the hard-drive but I have a custom slax install on my usb stick.

Of course the usb stick is read-only but a mounted overlayed filesystem is used to persist any changes.

For example when slax boots of the usb stick it looks for a file called 'slaxsave.dat' (a 3gb xfs-formatted file), mounts it and then persists all changes to this file.

This enables me to have a system that behaves like a "native" installation.

Is this feasible on the n900?

The Following User Says Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
I don't think the N810 uses OneNAND flash, so the MMC will be about the same speed as the internal flash. With the N900 there's significant speed differences (see http://wiki.maemo.org/Opt_Problem for some performance details, as well as details on previous discussions about this issue).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by jcompagner View Post
i am also wondering about this. even if it is fast how much cpu usage (and battery) is lost again by the compressing/decompressing?
we have a fast cpu but that fast that we really dont notice that? if it was a dual core i guess it would be better but now we have to wait for decomprssing.
Generally you come out about even on these things - you're losing time & power compressing/decompressing but gaining by reading/writing less data. The compression algorithm is chosen to balance the compression ratio & compression/decompression times.

Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
/opt is the official way to go in the linux world anyway, so stop making a fuss about it.
First, it's not used by all distros (e.g. not by Debian), and secondly, the "optify" method is very different from traditional use of /opt, which stems back from older Unix systems and is simply just another directory, and additional paths in $PATH. There's none of the bind-mounting and other tricks used by the "optify" method. I find "optify" very messy indeed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:

Tags
the opt problem