Active Topics

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Had not seen this mentioned.

http://smancke.blogs.evolvis.org/200...00-get-a-n810/

Basically they need N800's and will trade for new N810's!!

We (Tarent) are working in an active project, where we use N800’s mounted in german police cars. We need 20 additional devices and don’t want to switch to the N810 yet (e.g. because of the different form factor). The N800’s are out of stock in the whole world, so we had the following idea:

We buy n810’s and change them n800’s. So, if you have a N800 and want a n810, this is your chance! Please write a short mail to: n800@tarent.de. Our only requirement is to have the device in a very good state (no scratches or damages).
PLEASE use the Wiki

Posts: 487 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ London, UK
I sent them an email but got no answer. Anyone else ?

Applications I've made:
- Vuvuzela
- LTM: London Tube Map

Blimey if this is true/still running, I kinda wish I never sold my N800!

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Trier, Germany
Originally Posted by El Amir View Post
I sent them an email but got no answer. Anyone else ?
Same here ...
I think we have to wait until next week, then.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Good plan, with the N800, at least no one will be trying to watch videos in the police car

(As for me, I much prefer my N800 over N810, except for lack of keyboard. Ah well, bluetooth works for me )

It just seems strange that any police department would try to use an internet tablet over a full blown computer - even if we are talking about Germany. Even if they did want to use N800 for the start, since they are already hard to come by, why would any company continue to cling to them. You know they are going to be obsolete soon, why not find a viable replacement before you buy the last 20 units.

Personally I think it is a hoax - it sounds too good to be true.

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Actually, being part of the great global bureaucracy and the way they deal with research projects, I can fully understand the attempt to obtain state of the art 2007 equipment.

You put in a proposal for funding a research project based on equipment just introduced (Jan 2007) it crawls it's way thru the bowels of government and gets funded in late 2007, by the time you really spin up the project it's April 1st 2008, the WiMax version is introduced and it's hard to find an N800.

State of the art technology research in government is like hunting birds. Unfortunately the government funders think it's like hunting farm raised turkeys, when in reality it's more like hunting snipe.
PLEASE use the Wiki

Hi all, thanks so far for the much response. We have about 250 offers and need some time to select 20 of them (favoring by shipping costs). The selected will get a response on monday.
It's on Maemo.org; I would hope that it's not a hoax. They said they'd announce what they would do tomorrow/Monday, and that they're going to consider Europeans before anyone in the states. FedEx International said it would be $130 from Atlanta to Berlin, but hey, I'm all for wasteful government spending if it means a free N810 upgrade.

Posts: 487 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ London, UK
I hope I get chosen, London isnt that far from Germany

Applications I've made:
- Vuvuzela
- LTM: London Tube Map

Well it's good that there has been further communication from them. I guess it isn't a hoax. Man I wish I was lucky enough to get in on this!