Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Not sure how to close it. It is a server, running in the background, is it not? I have it set up to activate automatically and time out after 30 minutes.
The simplest way - due to its architecture - is to start the server GUI (this will stop service in the background) and close GUI (this will just trigger systemd socket activation).

I am not navigating at the moment but I tried dragging the screen around to force loading the map tiles (the map provider is still OSM Scout) and it works fine.

So it seems like the problem shows up really only during the search.
You did mention that you have "en" set as a language, not left it blank somehow. If its search then it could be due to the libpostal (address parsing). It was renewed, but that was before July. Maybe you could try:

* start OSM Scout Server

* get into its Settings. Choose there GeocoderNLP settings (button towards the bottom)

* in GeocoderNLP, enable the loading of libpostal on each call.

In theory, it should increase search time. But in your case, I have no clue how it will work. Your search times are already too long, but let's test this case.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Thanks, rinigus, that really helped. Searching for the same address that had been giving me crashes all morning now takes about 40 seconds. Search and route to the same address 50 seconds. With OSM Scout used for everything. Tried a different destination, similar results. Thank you, I am happy again!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
The alternative would be to switch to car's speedometer, compass, and from these try to predict the motion.
We need somebody to hack something along these lines using a canbus connector (PiCAN, etc.) :-P

Originally Posted by DrYak View Post
2. Foreign-language street names :
And I've forgotten to give my positive feed-back about the experience.
The protuguese-speaking region (with the names badly garbled by the text-to-speech) I was visiting was Madeira, a volcanic Island (with very steep terrain)

Compared to the experience with a commercial GPS system (Tomtom), using Pure's WhoGo predecessor had a few very positive outstanding points :

- thanks to using OpenStreetmaps data, a lot of the streets on the map had the correct metadata regarding practicability/speed limitations, meaning that the whole software stack was always able to advise the best route.
Meanwhile, the commercial data used by Tomtom was lacking (despite having the latest map update installed), most of the street where "just" edges between two nodes on the map with not enough meta data. That meant that sometime, in the steep terrain, instead of advising to stay on the main road that goes up in twists, the tomtom would advise to cut short through some tiny barely driveable path.
No such problem with WhoGo.

- the spoken routing instuctions by valhalla makes a bit more sense : when on a mountain main road that slowly climbs in twists, often they are side paths leading to houses.

On lots of satnavs (including the above mentioned Tomtom), the driving instruction would be something like "at the intersection, turn right", as if at a crossing between two main roads. (that happens even in regions where the map data is more complete).

On pure maps, the instruction is a bit more logica similar to "turn right to remain on {main street name}" (making it clear that you follow the main road on it twist and avoid taking a small side path).

TL;DR: the current opensource native stack on Sailfish, thanks to Pure/WhoGo, OSM Scout, and the various libraries behind is actually a very smooth experience that's rather competitive with some commercial offering.
Kudos to all people involved in it.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by DrYak View Post
On lots of satnavs (including the above mentioned Tomtom), the driving instruction would be something like "at the intersection, turn right", as if at a crossing between two main roads. (that happens even in regions where the map data is more complete).

On pure maps, the instruction is a bit more logical similar to "turn right to remain on {main street name}" (making it clear that you follow the main road on it twist and avoid taking a small side path).
I can confirm, I noticed that too driving on English country roads. I found that a very nice feature.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
I can confirm, I noticed that too driving on English country roads. I found that a very nice feature.
That is thanks to Mapzen work on Valhalla

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
@pichlo, @rinigus, WRT issues when searching a location and crashes / presumed OOM situations (as described by @pichlo):
As I had issues with the location search using OSM Scout Server (online services were always working fine) in the past (with Poor Maps / WhoGo Maps), I was eagerly reading this conversation and spontaneously tried to reproduce the experience.

While my use cases and usage is lighter than @pichlo's, my configuration is a bit "heavier":
  • Jolla 1, SFOS 2.1.4, OSM Scout Server 1.9.1-1.76.1, recent Pure Maps
  • Maps: OSM Scout Car Day English (vector)
  • Navigation: Valhalla, 128 MByte cache (default)
  • TTS engine: picotts
  • Maps downloaded: NL, BE, LU, various DE states
  • Search: Geocoder-NLP
  • NLP languages: de, en, fr, lb, nl
  • AlienDalvik is running, including two Android background tasks
  1. I have not experienced crashes of Pure / WhoGo / Poor Maps or OSM Scout Server, as @Fellfrosch already indicated.
    When I drive the Jolla 1 phone ("sbj") into an OOM situation, e.g. by starting a fat Android app (Firefox works well) while using Pure / WhoGo / Poor Maps with OSM Scout Server, SailfishOS handles this as usual: UIs (OS & apps) become very unresponsive and SFOS regularly states "App XYZ is not responding. [Wait | Close]".
  2. With above configuration and no other apps started, System Monitor shows ca. 630 MByte RAM and ca. 180 MB Swap used when browsing maps, searching for locations etc. in Pure Maps with OSM Scout Server (might be even less on a freshly rebooted device, it had an uptime of 4 days while testing).
    That is absolutely fine, Firefox alone consumes about the same amount of memory and one can still run a few smaller apps (regardless, if native or Android ones) concurrently.
  3. In the past, location searches with libosmcout worked fine, albeit really slow (usually >> 1 minute), while I had trouble using Geocoder-NLP (not: "Valhalla") for location searches (except when submitting the full, comma separated, simple format: <House number>, <Street>, <City>), regularly running into "No results" (which rather looked like timeouts) after more than a minute of searching.
    @rinigus made me aware, that I still had "loading of libpostal on each call" switched on from past tests; switching it off made Geocoder-NLP's (not: "Valhalla's") location search consistently returning 25 really good matches within 30 to 40 seconds (as @rinigus expected). Aforementioned RAM usage does not significantly change, while doing this.
Hence from my experience, neither the OpenGL based rendering or Valhalla causes regular OOM situations on a SFOS device with 1 GB RAM and AlienDalvik running, although both (OGL & Valhalla) upped the RAM usage a bit further.

For me the only sore point on Jolla 1 phones is the stability of the TTS navigation (as discussed on Github and TMO).

Last edited by olf; 2018-08-28 at 20:41.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by olf View Post
In the past, location searches with libosmcout worked fine, albeit really slow (usually >> 1 minute), while I had trouble using Valhalla for location searches (except when submitting the full, comma separated, simple format: <House number>, <Street>, <City>), regularly running into "No results" (which rather looked like timeouts) after more than a minute of searching.
@rinigus made me aware, that I still had "loading of libpostal on each call" switched on from past tests; switching it off made Valhalla's location search consistently returning 25 really good matches within 30 to 40 seconds (as @rinigus expected). Aforementioned RAM usage does not significantly change, while doing this.
@olf: thank you for detailed report! Just a small correction - OSM Scout Server uses GeocoderNLP or libosmscout for search. Valhalla uses the coordinates returned by the geocoder - this is done automatically for you in Poor/WhoGo/Pure Maps before calculation of the route.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
This is all really interesting. One question, why is search so slow? As mentioned before, search alone ~40s, search+route ~50s. I tried route only, to a point on the map, it took ~7s. I would expect a search to be virtually instantaneous and routing to take some time. It seems to be the other way around.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
The alternative would be to switch to car's speedometer, compass, and from these try to predict the motion. I think that could come one day to Qt, if it hasn't done yet, but for the car industry mainly.

So, unfortunately, its a bit too far at foreseeable future.
Some pages back (or was it in OSM thread?) i suggested to look into OBDfish for reliable speed data when gps is not available. It would be so cool if pure maps could pick up some data from a running obd fish instance and do magic no nav app has done so far(?).

Taking exits in tunnels is much more complicated though, i concour.
Sadly the turn indicator is not hooked to any ECU even in modern cars, so it is not accessible via obd2.

But it is mostly not necessary because i rarely remember having to take multiple exits in one continuous tunnel.

The most common situation are tunnels with some exits that leave out of the tunnel so the the signal would be picked up again when leaving and then correct the displayed position.
Most vital is the info when to exit/turn for the first time.

If you don't mind, i would love to ship an obdfish compatible ELM bt adapter to your door if you do not already have one. Just pm an adress in that case, i would direct an aliexpress shipment to you.

Another completely different thing that came up during my drive from frankfurt to cologne today.
Why does no nav app display the distance to a speed limit?
For "fuel conservation" it is quite nice to know there will be a speed limit around the corner and it thus makes no sense to give full throttle for an overtake you will not finish. Or going fast and not having to waste precious brakes but gently roll out to allowed limit some hundret meters earlier (e.g.).
I checked in all common android apps, no one is doing it. I would love to see info about speed limits ~1km before reaching them. Or depending on speed, some sane amount of seconds before.

Thanks for your verbosity! This is an awesome thread to follow.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 173 | Thanked: 512 times | Joined on Jul 2018 @ Guatemala
over RAM everything is going slow, SWAP is just to keep alive the task.
what happen with ZRAM is this available to jolla p1? if yes this will help with poor RAM.

Last edited by carlosgonz; 2018-08-28 at 23:22.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carlosgonz For This Useful Post: