Notices

Posts: 173 | Thanked: 512 times | Joined on Jul 2018 @ Guatemala
as far i know path is route but route not visual and route is route but visual as example. i am not a native english too. I am learning.

Last edited by carlosgonz; 2018-08-28 at 03:27.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carlosgonz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Talking about routing preferences, most commercial solutions, among options like "prefer shortest", "prefer fastest", have options to "avoid toll roads" and "avoid motorways". What I am really missing in all of them is an option to "prefer major riads". So I often end up following the "fastest route" that takes me down some single-track, unpaved country lane, even though I remember from the times before GPS that there is a simpler route along major roads.

Is there such an option in OSM?
moving from OSM Scout Server discussion

Many of Valhalla router options are now exposed by Pure Maps. They include tolls, highways, ferries for cars and few others for other transportation modes. OSM Scout Server and Stadia Maps should support them all.

I have not exposed all the knobs, full list available at https://github.com/valhalla/valhalla...costing-models . In addition, instead of sliders for all such options as use_highways, I have selected some values (0,0.25,0.5,0.75,1.0) and put them into human-readable form.

If you want to tune the route and think that it is not going as it should, please familiarize yourself with the used options and their description on Valhalla's page. OSM Scout Server (1.10.5), when logging level is set to information, shows the requested URLs decoded, so you could relate the selected options in Pure Maps to the options of Valhalla.

There is no "optimal", since its probably optimal somewhat differently for each of us. However, there is hope that with the provided options we can tune the route to our needs. If insufficient and some other option exists, we can probably add that to Pure Maps. Otherwise, we can also open tickets at Valhalla.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Yeah, I asked deliberately in the OSM Scout Server thread since it seemed like a general query about the server's capabilities rather than about how it is exposed in a specific client. But your answer has highlighted that I have not even tried it, otherwise I would have known my answer. My bad.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Yeah, I asked deliberately in the OSM Scout Server thread since it seemed like a general query about the server's capabilities rather than about how it is exposed in a specific client. But your answer has highlighted that I have not even tried it, otherwise I would have known my answer. My bad.
My bad with the reply then . In general, OSM Scout Server does not parse Valhalla's parameters. It just looks up which service is requested (route, map matching, ...) and forwards it further.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Sorry, rinigus, I am getting Pure Maps crashing (looks like OOM kills) all the time to the extent that using it is basically impossible. I have been playing with it all weekend including Monday (which was a public holiday here) and the upshot is, it is unusable in the field. I tried searching for a random (but valid) address and 4 times out of 5 I get a crash. When the search completes, it takes over a minute. About 1:15-1:20 is the average. I would expect searches to take a split second. Maybe a couple of seconds at most.

Sometimes, but not always, I get a better chance of success by searching for "Street Name" only, rather than "Street Name, Town", but then I get a long list of matches from which I have to choose.

And that was just the search. Following your reply above, I have tried navigation for the first time. Out of the 10 attempts, every single one ended with a crash.

It did not use to be like that. I used WhoGo extensively, but I think not since early July. It seems unlikely that these crashes are new in Pure Maps, it seems more likely that they are related to the OSM Scout Server updates.

Configuration:
  • Jolla 1
  • Maps: OSM Scout Car Day English
  • Search and Navigation: OSM Scout
  • Maps downloaded: Great Britain
  • Languages: en

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
@pichlo alien dalvik running?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Sorry, rinigus, I am getting Pure Maps crashing (looks like OOM kills) all the time to the extent that using it is basically impossible. I have been playing with it all weekend including Monday (which was a public holiday here) and the upshot is, it is unusable in the field. I tried searching for a random (but valid) address and 4 times out of 5 I get a crash. When the search completes, it takes over a minute. About 1:15-1:20 is the average. I would expect searches to take a split second. Maybe a couple of seconds at most.

Sometimes, but not always, I get a better chance of success by searching for "Street Name" only, rather than "Street Name, Town", but then I get a long list of matches from which I have to choose.

And that was just the search. Following your reply above, I have tried navigation for the first time. Out of the 10 attempts, every single one ended with a crash.

It did not use to be like that. I used WhoGo extensively, but I think not since early July. It seems unlikely that these crashes are new in Pure Maps, it seems more likely that they are related to the OSM Scout Server updates.

Configuration:
  • Jolla 1
  • Maps: OSM Scout Car Day English
  • Search and Navigation: OSM Scout
  • Maps downloaded: Great Britain
  • Languages: en
Sorry to hear it. Let's try to isolate the issue. Please try to

* use online sources and close OSM Scout Server, if its running

* if the online sources work, start OSM Scout Server manually, and try to access it via Pure Maps. I wonder whether OSM Scout Server gets killed in this case.

When I look into changes from July, the main one that could have modified your RAM usage is the use of Valhalla C++ API. Earlier, Valhalla was running as a separate process (maybe killed by OOM on J1). Now, its a part of the main one in the server. Which should reduce overall RAM usage a little bit, but commits all memory into one server. Then I added DBus service, but the rest should be minor, mainly bugfixes and small features

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
@pichlo alien dalvik running?
No. 10 chars

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Even so I usually use a XperiaX I still have two Jolla1 with Pure Maps installed. Haven't had a crash so far. BUT of course I haven't tested it that much. Will do some tests this evening. Just to see if it is a general problem on the Jolla1 or a problem wich is specific to yours. I think that could maybe help you and ringus to find the problem.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
Sorry to hear it. Let's try to isolate the issue. Please try to

* use online sources and close OSM Scout Server, if its running
Not sure how to close it. It is a server, running in the background, is it not? I have it set up to activate automatically and time out after 30 minutes.

Anyway, I switched search to OpenCage and navigation to Stadia Maps (both default settings) and both the search and the routing were pretty fast and without problems.

But that (to me) kind of defeats the whole purpose of a mobile navigation solution, if I cannot use it offline.

* if the online sources work, start OSM Scout Server manually, and try to access it via Pure Maps. I wonder whether OSM Scout Server gets killed in this case.
Without doing anything else, I SSHed in and checked the situation with ps:
Code:
[nemo@Sailfish ~]$ ps aux | grep scout
nemo      6781  1.9  7.0 173220 58444 ?        Ssl  12:10   0:02 /usr/bin/harbour-osmscout-server --console --systemd --quiet
nemo      7160  0.0  0.0   1928   520 pts/0    S+   12:12   0:00 grep scout
[nemo@Sailfish ~]$
I repeated the command a few minutes later and got this, presumably because the server idled out:
Code:
[nemo@Sailfish ~]$ ps aux | grep scout
nemo      7487  0.0  0.0   1928   520 pts/0    S+   12:15   0:00 grep scout
[nemo@Sailfish ~]$
And finally, I started the OSM Scout Server GUI and got:
Code:
[nemo@Sailfish ~]$ ps aux | grep scout                                          nemo      7318  1.3  9.2 225788 76832 ?        Ssl  12:14   0:06 /usr/bin/harbour-osmscout-server
nemo      7787  0.0  0.0   3968   772 ?        S    12:19   0:00 invoker --type=silica-qt5 --single-instance harbour-osmscout-server
nemo      7954  0.0  0.0   1928   520 pts/0    S+   12:22   0:00 grep scout
[nemo@Sailfish ~]$
I am not navigating at the moment but I tried dragging the screen around to force loading the map tiles (the map provider is still OSM Scout) and it works fine.

So it seems like the problem shows up really only during the search.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: