Notices

Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Pure Maps 1.5.0 is out.

This release is mainly about tuning in response to the filed issues. Translations have been updated, thanks to all translators!

Some changes:

* sharing link goes to OSM instead of Google Maps, reasoning at https://github.com/rinigus/pure-maps/issues/46 . While it may reduce the quality, I think it's correct to point to the source and promote it if possible.

* autocomplete can be disabled in preferences (OSM Scout users on J1 could try it) as well as starting the navigation without rotation of the map is possible now.

* OSM Scout night modes use yellow route and markers, as suggested earlier in this thread

* I have added HERE maps for traffic and satellite. I would expect them to have better coverage in traffic.

I had discussion with Mapbox regarding their tile limits for open-source apps. At present, we are probably still within the limits, but are getting closer to the quota. However, according to Mapbox personnel, it is allowed to ask users to register on their site and use their own API access keys. Its somewhat inconvenient, but, it allows us to scale as much as we wish in terms of users. So, one day, it may happen that all Mapbox tile users will have to do that.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Thank you for the introduction of the post codes! I tried a few I know off the top of my head and they all worked fine and the search was instantaneous, as I would expect. In a stark contrast with the address search. The only potential suggestion I might have is that maybe the postcode could be included in the search result. At the moment, when I am looking for example for HU9 1NU, the search result says ", Kingston upon Hull, Yorkshire and the Humber, England". The empty field before the city name could be filled by default with the post code rather than leaving it empty.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Thank you for the introduction of the post codes! I tried a few I know off the top of my head and they all worked fine and the search was instantaneous, as I would expect. In a stark contrast with the address search. The only potential suggestion I might have is that maybe the postcode could be included in the search result. At the moment, when I am looking for example for HU9 1NU, the search result says ", Kingston upon Hull, Yorkshire and the Humber, England". The empty field before the city name could be filled by default with the post code rather than leaving it empty.
Good point! I'll add that in future

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 56 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Sep 2013 @ Norway
It seems that sharing current location is broken (1.5.0). Sharing to email results in no geocode pickup. If clicking SMS or Other, nothing happends. Thanks for great work.

Last edited by PamNor; 2018-09-16 at 11:48.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PamNor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 1,373 times | Joined on Nov 2015 @ Sweden
There's a build error on the last two releases. Issue reported!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by PamNor View Post
It seems that sharing current location is broken (1.5.0). Sharing to email results in no gecode pickup. If clicking SMS or Other, nothing happends. Thanks for great work.
My bug, issue filed and will fix soon.

Re RPM build: yes, you have to make that file with your own API keys if you wish to build RPMs. See file tools/apikeys_dummy.py for inspiration. This is to avoid exposure of my keys at Github (probably that's were Mapquest keys were nicked). Thanks for opening the issue, I will add docs regarding it. Please keep it open.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by eson View Post
There's a build error on the last two releases. Issue reported!
Sneaked in due to https://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?...&postcount=30?

Yes!
As rinigus answered one minute faster.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2018-09-16 at 11:25. Reason: already answered

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
* sharing link goes to OSM instead of Google Maps, reasoning at https://github.com/rinigus/pure-maps/issues/46 . While it may reduce the quality, I think it's correct to point to the source and promote it if possible.
I'm a bit late here, but one reason, apart from the obvious, for using Google Maps was that Android and/or iOS might "hijack" HTTP links pointing to Google Maps and open them in the Apple or Google maps app instead of a web browser, so it's likely to be better for location sharing to Android or iOS users. But the documentation I found was quite vague and I never actually tested it so I don't know which apps and versions it works with.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to otsaloma For This Useful Post:
I have almost completely moved to Pure Maps for navigation, except when I have to take public transports. I use the different online service provders bundled with Pure Maps for my use case, so not OSM Server.The addition of HERE traffic maps is great, well, the coverage of OSM is quite weak here. Not a lot of people are happily contributing to OSM. I can see a lot of streets in HERE which do not exist in OSM. At least, I could see, even though these data from HERE would not be considered in calculating routes and stuff as all those are based on OSM data.

Anyway, I am using Pure Maps and I am happy with it. Thanks a lot for making it happen. I have a few suggestions, better said polishing requests.

1. Currently, if I do a navigation query and a route shows up, but if I would like to explore a different route, I would again have to go to menu, then navigation page and alter the preferences and recalculate the route. It would have been great if there was an easier way to modify already executed navigation query to tune the route rather than revisiting the whole process.

2. Could there be some way to select an arbitrary point on map for from/to in navigation page? There is an option to choose current location at from/to of navigation. Apart from that, could we just drop a pin manually on map to populate from/to. I am aware POIs can be created before opening the navigation screen and choose an already created POI.

3. Could there be any way that the search suggestions show up while typing address in from/to of navigation page? It already works well while searching.

These just some suggestions based on my use case. Thought I would chip in what I had in mind. Thank you once again for the amazing work.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 1,373 times | Joined on Nov 2015 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
Re RPM build: yes, you have to make that file with your own API keys if you wish to build RPMs. See file tools/apikeys_dummy.py for inspiration. This is to avoid exposure of my keys at Github (probably that's were Mapquest keys were nicked). Thanks for opening the issue, I will add docs regarding it. Please keep it open.
Thanks! I should have known. I always build just to test updated translations, but there are other options to do that. If anyone else are looking to do the same, here's the commands to build qm file only.

Code:
lconvert -locations relative harbour-pure-maps-[lang-code].po -o harbour-pure-maps-[lang-code].ts
lrelease harbour-pure-maps-[lang-code].ts

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eson For This Useful Post: