Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
He hasn't run away as well has he?

Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
Other smartphone devices can run ubuntu etc although they are not built around it

Have you seen this for instance:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=53436

HD2 has Ubuntu and USB out although GSM voice is still being ported.
arm doesnt necessarily make it a phone, gsm radio more likely.

but now there are laptops with gsm radios so....the lines are blurred bigtime.

if placing and receiving gsm based audio calls is your primary use for a mobile device, no, the n900 is not the device for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
I think the G1 can run a Debian instance too. Not sure about the high end Android devices like the HTC Evo 4G, Droid(s), etc.. though.

Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post

but now there are laptops with gsm radios so....the lines are blurred bigtime.

if placing and receiving gsm based audio calls is your primary use for a mobile device, no, the n900 is not the device for you.
The way I see it there are two things happening. Computers converging with mobile devices and smartphones increasing getting computer functionality. Basically computer functions being found more in phones and phone functions being found more in computers (mainly for the mobile data).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Yeah sorry, I retracted it as soon as I posted it, my point was its a device power optimised to be a phone/mid first not a computer. Which is why I think its a fairer comparison.

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-07-04 at 03:04.

I am curious about what happened with the survey for n900 owners a few months ago, was that a survey for things they want to implement for "us" or was it for things they wanted to make sure they wanted in the future tablets? I think that may answer a question or two on how Nokia is committed to improving our experience.

When i bought y phone I definately understood that this was going to come with software that wasn't going to be the most "polished" but I bought it anyway because of the features and I was sure that with time this device would only get better and better. I hope I was right.

Originally Posted by lordfury007 View Post
What other "phone" out there can do everything the n900 can? (i say "phone" as the n900 is primarily a computer, with a phone secondary)
And the counter challenge is, how may people want that device, vs the one that can do 80% of what it can do, but does it with a better user experience?

And how do we attract developers to this small, niche market when they can tap into the huge market of people happy with the 80% device?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to schettj For This Useful Post:
x86 Moorestown, with embedded win 7 etc, will prove that there is a market for the desktop experience. People just dont want to comprimise with Linux, or Arm or a shoddy to non existent appstore. And they sure as hell don't want to hack or mess around with terminal. They want instant gratification and who can blame them?

If windows 7 x86 phones were out there with a mobile optimised app market they would sell well (even the n900 was proof of that in the UK). Not sure about beating iphone though.

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-07-04 at 03:22.

Originally Posted by schettj View Post
And the counter challenge is, how may people want that device, vs the one that can do 80% of what it can do, but does it with a better user experience?

And how do we attract developers to this small, niche market when they can tap into the huge market of people happy with the 80% device?
Developers who are interested in solely making money would have never been interested in Maemo simply because there's no way Nokia could've pushed enough Maemo devices out there to rival Android or the iPhone. Even if Maemo was a perfect copy of the iPhone (hardware and software wise).

The only way to attract developers is to:

a) provide the marketshare
b) provide easy tools to use to make said applications

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Developers who are interested in solely making money would have never been interested in Maemo simply because there's no way Nokia could've pushed enough Maemo devices out there to rival Android or the iPhone. Even if Maemo was a perfect copy of the iPhone (hardware and software wise).

The only way to attract developers is to:

a) provide the marketshare
b) provide easy tools to use to make said applications
This is so so true and the very reason that Meamo has failed, you can thank Nokia for this as they never pushed Meamo but came up with Meego instead screwing up any kind of future development that could or would have taken place for Meamo..

So what now?, as Meamo we are stuffed basically and have to wait untill Meego catches up even let alone becomes a viable OS.

Not sure about the high end Android devices like the HTC Evo 4G, Droid(s), etc.. though.
I know the Nexus One chroots Debian.

Tags
just more, verbal diarrhea