Active Topics

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Heh, still lists Diablo as Maemo 4.2, though

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
Nice analysis by Eldar at the beginning; is this community ready for the attention?
---

I have two N97s right beside me right now; hardware on this looks very, very similar. If the build quality of the first one I got, regardless of price, Nokia has a winner and then some.

Subsidized, this device will be $399-499 USD. A subsidy making it cheaper than that says that this device will be a huge success; and I think it will, but like the Ford FiveHundred, not initially, only after its seen on the road a bit.

---
The UI/UX team gets my sincere applause. Thank you.

---
Eldar always writes in a way to make you see the next steps if you read the lines carefully. The RX-71 should be very, very ground breaking. Nokia's CEO made a comment once about netbooks being nothing more than smaller laptops, that Nokia understands the difference between a computer that's mobile and doing mobile computing. I'm very intrigued, and think that the keyboard-shifting model is coming, with Maemo 5.
I assume the subsidised version would be below 300$ .... more like 250-270. But if they get it to compete with the iphone 3gs at 199$... then we are talking about a war.

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Well, that makes sense. He also corrected "Freemantle" at the start of the article.
Yes, thank you Eldar for the article and the fixes.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
I assume the subsidised version would be below 300$ .... more like 250-270. But if they get it to compete with the iphone 3gs at 199$... then we are talking about a war.
Of course if i am not wrong there is the 25$ unlimited data and messages plan... that will save 24x5 = 120$ for 2 years and free unlimited sms...

so 279 should be a perfect price......

Originally Posted by livefreeordie View Post
Ouch, that's pretty bad. Still, considering all the hardware in it, I think the rumored price for the N900 is quite reasonable. .
I don't disagree on the price assessment. But if I don't want "the hardware in it," it's hardly a good price for me. heh!

I know I'm a oddball when it comes to handhelds these days. But I'm not looking for a smartphone as much as I'm looking for a digital notepad. I use my Palm TX to carry data with me for ready access, and only occasionally use it to access the Internet.

I never thought that I'D be a dinosaur. That was always my dad!

The Following User Says Thank You to dagwud For This Useful Post:
Awesome

Cortex A8 looking good. Loving the blurred backdrops on modal windows, and the minimized tasks on the desktop.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
i'm sorry for that. my main language is german, second language spanish, third language portuguese and only on the last place is english... i hope you understand that. also i'm too tired to write upper case letters (here is after midnight). my post was not intented to be an offense.
Oh dude! I was just pointing out that I thought the grammar left your point a bit too ambiguous for debate. I didn't interpret it in any offensive way. We're all just debating and talking here. I hope my reply didn't come off as offensive and I apologize if it did. Also.. Portuguese? Cool! That's my second language.

Originally Posted by livefreeordie View Post
Ouch, that's pretty bad. Still, considering all the hardware in it, I think the rumored price for the N900 is quite reasonable. I've always paid for phones up front, and frankly I was expecting it to be even more. If you look at the manufacturers' profit margins, it's only Apple that's managing to charge huge premiums like that (big surprise there ).
Oh it's quite reasonable.. if you wanted a cell phone. Ugh. This point can never be emphasized enough--this device is less and less the Internet Tablet that some of us bought into and it's more smart-phone than tablet.

Originally Posted by Cruelkix View Post
How much is the 32GB upgrade worth to you?
Yyyyeaaahh... on that.. why? I'd rather use SDHC. I didn't really appreciate the move to even tinier SD-related cards much less the push for even MORE flash in the device to bump up that aforementioned 'reasonable' price even less reasonable for some of us that don't think we'll use 32GB.

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Dude, relax... this N900 will be jim dandy a year or so after release. I figure with a harmattan device on deck, the price of these units will be halved soon enough.
Fair enough. Good point, but I doubt it'll be anywhere near what I'll want to pay for what I actually WANTED (an Internet Tablet, not en effin' cell phone radio in a smartphone).

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
BTW, there are quite a few devices with an improved N800's feature set about to come to market... just not from Nokia.
I've been saying that all along as one of my points about attrition.

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
I won't be buying it at this point, but I can't blame Nokia. I'm the opposite of the target audience! My N800 does everything I need, and I'm a price-point late-adopter. It's just going to have to get cheaper. And then there's going to have to be a cheap data plan like the cellphone plans that charge you only for usage, not by the month.

I'm also not sold on the pure finger UI; I like a stylus-oriented UI. And, even more, I like the bigger N8x0 screen. (Though I'll be interested to see how people on this forum -- especially older, presbyopic types, who also browse and read a lot on the device -- like the screen once they own the N900.)

Ultimately, Nokia may have to blame Bundyo for a lost sale ; were it not for tear, I might have felt the need to upgrade for the greater horsepower.
Amen! God.. just... AMEN all-around.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by qole View Post
this baby's got a really big engine under the hood (Cortex A8) and a fantastic, open source OS (Debian-based Linux) under the UI.
No no no no no no no, according to a screenshot, it only "includes certain free/open source software"

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
I'm also not sold on the pure finger UI; I like a stylus-oriented UI. And, even more, I like the bigger N8x0 screen. (Though I'll be interested to see how people on this forum -- especially older, presbyopic types, who also browse and read a lot on the device -- like the screen once they own the N900.)
You know what's really frustrating for me? Of course you don't. "Let me 'splain. No. There is too much. Let me sum up."

I used to be at the front of the acquisition curve! I had "it" before anyone else in the department.

I had a PalmPilot Pro - then a III - then a Vx - then an m500 just to get the SD expansion - then an m515 because Palm improved the color screen. Then I sat around for a few years before buying a Palm TX 3 years back.

Slowly, ever so slowly, I went from being "the geek with the cool new gadget" to "the old coot with the outdated hardware."

That, my friends, was a PAINFUL realization.

Last edited by dagwud; 2009-08-19 at 23:43.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by luca View Post
no no no no no no no, according to a screenshot, it only "includes certain free/open source software"
and another thing...!