UPDATED WITH FINISHED DASH PICS AT BOTTOM!!

I wasnt sure where to put this but i thought others might be interested!

I ripped out my car stereo and replaced it with my N810 as the new solution. Below is a quick walk through on how I did it and a short movie of how it works!

Here's thie vid:
http://s320.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=DSCN3686.flv

And now the work in progress pics:

Here I used a router (for wood, not for wifi) to make a cut out in the shape off my n810:

Here I fit it into my dash:

I made the swivel piece by stripping cables and using bondo. The risky part was wrapping my N810 in a ziplock bag, plugging in all the cables (stereo plug, power, and usb), and pouring bondo all over it to make the mold!

Put it together and spray paint it black:

I used a wood dowl to allow the piece to rotate.

And Done!

Heres some of the equipment in the trunk:

Finsihed Dash!

What do you all think?

I'm loving it personally.

I'll get some pics with the dash put back together shortly and some at night so you can see the screen.

Last edited by Cruelkix; 2008-07-11 at 15:56. Reason: Added pics and fixed grammer/spelling

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Cruelkix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Its now much more than a car radio! Its also a navigation system, browser, e-mail client, and so much more. OTOH, the N810 doesn't have a FM receiver so in a way it isn't a radio, more like a jukebox or DAP.

Nice mod thanks for sharing.

BTW, does the device now get constant power?

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Romania
excellent... bookmarking this post

can you create some tutorials (give tips)about the materials used
and how to make them "blend" (look like) into the dashboard?

thanks,
Mihai

Fan-bloody-tastic exactly my thoughts on the idea!

Few questions:

How well does the flip adapter work when plugging the n810 in and out?

How do you keep it from flipping out when driving?

What are the specs of the sound system ... personally I want to forgo the stereo and go straight to equalizer + amp - how've you done this?

Is there any hiss from the N810 when fired up loud?

Does the usb plug into a portable hard disk for extended storage?

I'm sure there's lots more questions later

that is awesome

Sir, I salute your dedication. Wish I had that kind of energy

I too am impressed. Nice filler work. Definitely update the finished dash!

Yabbas- the kickstand goes through the slot, and I would image the connectors would hold it in place.

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Nice mod thanks for sharing.

BTW, does the device now get constant power?
Thanks! And yes it gets constant power. I purchased a car charger from nokia and then ripped it apart and soildered/spliced it into one of my cigarette lighters behind the dash.

Originally Posted by yabbas View Post
Fan-bloody-tastic exactly my thoughts on the idea!

Few questions:

How well does the flip adapter work when plugging the n810 in and out?

The flip works very well. If you watch the video its pretty much that easy. The only thing I constantly forget to do is unlock the touch screen before i flip it into the dash. Which means I have to flip it back out. No big deal. I flip it out a lot anyway cuz its summer and its really hot so I point one of my ac ducts on it for a few seconds to cool it down.

How do you keep it from flipping out when driving?

Right now everything is pretty tight so it just stays, even through hard turns. I was thinking of buying a clip of some sort and may have to further down the road. But right now it just works.

What are the specs of the sound system ... personally I want to forgo the stereo and go straight to equalizer + amp - how've you done this?

I'm not a huge audiophile. No equalizer. The amp was suppose to be nice but turned out to be a piece. Its a 2000W(yeah right) performance teknique 5.1 surround amp. Not a good amp. had to use a second 900W soundstorm amp I had lying around to drive the Infinity sub cuz teh crappy PT 5.1 didnt have enough power for it. Hence the two amps in the trunk. I just go straight from the headphone plug of the N810 to RCAs and use a splitter to get all the ones I need.

Is there any hiss from the N810 when fired up loud?

As long as you make sure to turn the car on AFTER you plug in you N810 then all is good. No pop. Dont go taking it on and off while the system is powered though. Nasty noises. I have a switch that turns on and off my stereo equipment so I use that if I want to remove it while the car is still on.

Does the usb plug into a portable hard disk for extended storage?

I have a thumb drive on my keychain with some extra music on it if I need it. Its really easy to update what music is on my N810 since its so mobile. So i never have more than 2 GB of music on there at one time. My tastes change all the time. Once the larger Micro/miniSD's come out I really dont think you have more than 16GB of music you REALLY listen to.

I'm sure there's lots more questions later

See answers above!

The Following User Says Thank You to Cruelkix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by iancumihai View Post
excellent... bookmarking this post

can you create some tutorials (give tips)about the materials used
and how to make them "blend" (look like) into the dashboard?

thanks,
Mihai
Materials were pretty basic:

MDF - However I would suggest a harder nicer wood now that I am done. Some of the stuff I need cuased splits in teh MDF and I had to rework ... which sucks.

Black textured paint matched my car perfectly. You are going to have to try different things for differnt cars.

Bondo Fiberglass car filler.

1 wood dowl. Drill a hole through the top of the piece into the swivel piece from both ends (dont go into your wires!) and shove it in. I used some small nails at an angle to keep them where I put them but if you drill the hole the right size you shouldnt have to. I was worried they would work themselves out over time and taking my dash out is a pain in the butt.

Using the router to cut was the hardest part. It takes a lot of planning and making quick fixtures so you get straight lines. Well worth it though. Routers are just plain fun. Everyone should have one and a small set of bits (EXPENSIVE!)

Really thats it. I'm not going to go through how to hook up a amp and sub. There are thousands of sites to look that up on.

I was happy to see that the N810 but out enough juice on teh headphone jack that I didnt need any sort of Line driver. Again I am not an audiophile so I am not using high end speakers (using stock) and I'm not trying to have people in china hear my music either.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cruelkix For This Useful Post: