Posts: 53 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Australia
Originally Posted by skyjumper View Post
Can I ask what the latest is with the phone and 4G? Is the hack still needed or will vodafone 4G work out of the box?

Thanks
Hi Skyjumper,
I am in Melbourne, and on the Vodafone network. I have had a jolla phone for about a fortnight now, and I can confirm that 4g works straight out of the box. The phone seems to get good reception and happily switches between 3 & 4 G as required.
Note that only the 1800MHz band is supported, not the 850MHz band. Somewhere on Vodafones website is a map of the coverage and it asks you to put in your device. Jolla is not listed, but you can put in 'generic - 1800' or something similar to see the coverage of specific parts of the network.
Hope this helps,
Let me know if you want me to check anything else.
Justin

http://support.vodafone.com.au/artic...bile-frequency

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juz For This Useful Post:
i can also confirm. 4G works in Australia (im also im melb)
im with Optus network and zero issues

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to toki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 228 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Thanks toki and juz. That's great to know.
Can I ask how you came to acquire your phones? Maybe we could arrange something??

Last edited by skyjumper; 2015-03-10 at 23:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to skyjumper For This Useful Post:
ahahah someone else in melb had it, and they posted in this forum that they were selling it
I responded and made the acquisition.

it was about feb last year I think

thank you to that person (forgot the name)!

I actually have a friend in Europe that could probably get me one as well.. but I don't know the costs for shipping etc and didn't want to bother my friend lolol

The Following User Says Thank You to toki For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by toki View Post
ahahah someone else in melb had it, and they posted in this forum that they were selling it
I actually have a friend in Europe that could probably get me one as well.. but I don't know the costs for shipping etc and didn't want to bother my friend lolol
Fair enough. Might be cheaper shipping wise to get two simultaneously...

Posts: 120 | Thanked: 279 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Perth, Australia
Can also confirm that I have 2/3/4G working without issues on Virgin Mobile (Optus). No app needed anymore.

However, there is one very annoying issue - the 4G network does not appear to send time information, and whenever the Jolla is booted and connects to 4G, the time and timezone changes to Melbourne (I'm guessing this is some kind of default in the Jolla).

If I switch to 3G manually then, after a few seconds, the phone correctly sets the Perth time and timezone - I can then switch back to 4G and keep this correct timezone.

https://together.jolla.com/question/...er-boot-on-4g/

Last edited by mattaustin; 2015-03-11 at 05:39.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mattaustin For This Useful Post:

it was about feb last year I think

thank you to that person (forgot the name)!

Your welcome

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wormdrummer For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by skyjumper View Post
Fair enough. Might be cheaper shipping wise to get two simultaneously...
I actually did some research on the subject last year.
I was going to send a Jolla device to @tmavika in Hong Kong, and I asked quotes from several couriers. The costs are in the 130eur...160eur range. (around 180 AU$ ... 220 AU$)

I'd imagine the costs are fairly similar when sending to Australia.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 53 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Australia
I don't think I can offer much. I have no friends to help. I purchased directly from Jollas webshop (€200) and shipped it to Forward to Me in London (€15), they then forwarded it to me in melbourne (£30).
So it was a lot of money on shipping. For what it is worth, forward2me were super fast. In and out in a couple of hours, and to me within a couple of days. Jolla to the UK, took 4 or 5 days.
Perhaps it is not the best option, but it worked okay.
Good luck.
Justin.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to juz For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the info Juz,
I don't suppose you remember the dimensions of the parcel you received? Just so I have an idea....

Tags
australia, jolla phone