Notices

Posts: 120 | Thanked: 279 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Perth, Australia
Hi,

I've started working on a Sailfish OS app for this forum. It's currently in its very early stages, but I'm trying to follow the 'release early, release often' mantra.

Warning: this is a developmental pre-alpha preview. Only suitable for casual browsing/reading.

Can be downloaded over at OpenRepos: https://openrepos.net/content/mattau...review-release

Project homepage: https://github.com/mattaustin/tmo

Issue tracker: https://github.com/mattaustin/tmo/issues

Planned features:
  • Account login
  • Jump to last unread post
  • Search for threads with unread posts
  • Improved handling of post content
  • Handling of quotes
  • Handling of attached images

There is also an Ubuntu qml UI available, so eventually it should be able to run on the desktop too.

Licensed under the Apache 2.0 license. Uses python/pyotherside/qml. Contributions welcome.

Last edited by mattaustin; 2015-05-14 at 05:25. Reason: Grammar. Note about desktop UI.

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to mattaustin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
That would be a rock application. Jolla browsers is unusable with text boxes and interaction. Good luck and hope you succeed.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Why is there a talk.maemo.org client for Meego and Sailfish but not for Maemo?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Why is there a talk.maemo.org client for Meego and Sailfish but not for Maemo?
It's hard to please everyone

Maybe because:
  1. I consider myself part of the maemo community, but I use Sailfish OS on my day-to-day phone.
  2. There is already a great Maemo forum app for Harmattan (I miss it on Sailfish OS, and this is why I'm making a new app for Sailfish OS). Apparently this is also ported to Maemo 5.
  3. This is my project, you're free to make your own apps too without justification
  4. Wouldn't it be a sad world if we could only have apps on our devices which were restricted to it's own OS/community?

Last edited by mattaustin; 2015-04-19 at 08:45. Reason: Added link to N900 forum app

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mattaustin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by mattaustin View Post
It's hard to please everyone

Maybe because:
  1. I consider myself part of the maemo community, but I use Sailfish OS on my day-to-day phone.
  2. There is already a great Maemo forum app for Harmattan (I miss it on Sailfish OS, and this is why I'm making a new app for Sailfish OS). Apparently this is also ported to Maemo 5.
  3. This is my project, you're free to make your own apps too without justification
  4. Wouldn't it be a sad world if we could only have apps on our devices which were restricted to it's own OS/community?
that was a logical question i think
you dont need to pleasure everybody nobody has the stamina for it :-
just carry on
good luck

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Oh sorry, mattaustin, I did not mean you in particular! Your effort is highly appreciated. I am just thinking aloud. I found it curious that people never considered it important to write clients when TMO was only about Maemo...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
thank u for works, if you'll make a good app i'll make a donation!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Your effort is highly appreciated. I am just thinking aloud. I found it curious that people never considered it important to write clients when TMO was only about Maemo...
No worries, I knew what you meant - I was probably a bit too defensive there, sorry!

I've just uploaded a quick hotfix to OpenRepos (v0.1.1). This fixes a bug where threads for forums under the 'Software' category weren't found. So ironically, I couldn't view this very thread!

Last edited by mattaustin; 2015-05-14 at 05:26.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mattaustin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
There was/is another app for Maemo 6 - Siilihai and I think it worked quite well on Maemo 5 as well (with the compatibility layer). And there is even a version for SailfishOS.

I'm glad to see another similar effort, but considering it is done with parsing the web with bs4, wouldn't it be better to take the Siilihai approach and make use of the Tapatalk API (provided there is one)?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
I'm glad to see another similar effort, but considering it is done with parsing the web with bs4, wouldn't it be better to take the Siilihai approach and make use of the Tapatalk API (provided there is one)?
Thanks for the tip. I did try and find if there was an API available, but didn't have much luck, and as the Harmattan app also used html parsing, I assumed that was as good as we'd get. I'll take another look!

I was unaware of Siilihai, will also have to check that out too. Cheers!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mattaustin For This Useful Post:

Tags
forum, maemo, sailfish os, talk.maemo.org