Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
The fancy effects might have something to do with it. It is pretty amazing that the IT is able to achieve these affects at any speed.

I've not used either in a while so, I might be wrong...but the UI in E17 is far more intuitive than the E16 one (more configurable, easier to use).

I'd imagine that some tweaking might make it more usable. Most people seem to agree that E17 runs at least as fast XFCE on X86 processors...so something must be going on. Possibly, the graphical effects are too much for this little guy.

Last edited by neatojones; 2008-08-27 at 00:17.

Both of the above are very plausible options... I have not gone through any of the configuration pages to see if I can speed this up.. haven't had time.

I suppose I'll work on that before I do the Keblet packages.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

OK, well I'll confirm that messing with some of these settings do seem to give a slight speed boost.. But I am unfamiliar with Enlightenment and there are tons of configuration settings and modules and all kinds of stuff one could change/remove/disable/whatever.

Someone who wants e17 should install it and try and come up with "the perfect" tablet configuration and come tell us how to do it.. because Im flying blind here and without a benchmark tool or any real way to do legitimate testing it's a bit of a waste for me.. I don't particularly like the interface. (I still prefer the 'plainness' of the older desktops).

But anyway... In theory one could make this probably as fast, or faster, than Gnome... which makes it a viable alternative for a WM. (As for the benefit of e17 over e16.. no idea)

ETA: And as has already been said it's really quite impressive all the stuff you can turn ON in enlightenment on this tablet.. and that's not really tooting Nokia's horn so much as tooting the horn of the Enlightenment devel team.. the fact that they have produced a WM that could compete with today's "3d fancy" oogly eyed crap like KDE4/Vista/OSX on hardware that you are likely to find in random joe's neighborhood dumpster is extremely impressive.

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2008-08-27 at 01:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
well, raster (core E17 developer) is now working for openMoko, and EWL got ported to the Neo Freerunner. The Freerunner runs on partly identical hardware as the N8x0, so at least ARM ports should work well, if they didn't before. Probably did given Debian ARM port. But maybe more specific hardware problems are solved too. Besides, goal and performance are similar. Maybe can look at the performance on E17 on Freerunner but be aware the Freerunner has hardware rendering engine enabled.

My comment about E17 rendering being fast also refers to compare with XRender. Check out enlightenment.org news archives. The difference is astonishing. And, really, it is, especially compared to XRender (might have since then even imrpoved tho), although this isn't used now either, e.g. there is no compiz... but... I somehow doubt these performance tests were done on a OMAP2!

E17 was long time on radar for embedded devices, years ago really. It has even so much improved since then...

Easy live cd to test out Enlightenment is Elive, www.elivecd.org you can download the stable 1.0 version if you donate (its now a bit older already) or just grab a development version. This allows you to fully run E w/o borking/touching your current system, while still on relatively fast hardware... ie. your desktop. Recommended to learn more about E... I'll see if i can find some time later on to play with latest versions... *excited*

I'll definitly give it a go in a few days (I'm still waiting on my new card...arghhh!)

Thanks for all your work, fatalsaint.

The other day I wanted to try E17 on my laptop. There is a very easy script for this called easy_e17.sh

You can find it by using Google.

Its sortof like Gargnome or Klolforgotthename. It just grabs all the EFL and E applications from SVN and compiles them for you. Now, the interesting bit would be to adapt it to maemo.

You can also use Elive, an Enlightenment Live CD. This gives you at least an impression of what E is capable capable of.

It seems that the e17 base library packages aren't in the repository mentioned in the first post anymore. Also, as someone mentioned that it might be worth trying, I gave the mamona repository a shot using "deb http://dev.openbossa.org/mamona/0.2/nokia810 mamona main" but it didn't work. The problem seems to be that deblet looks for a binary-armel folder, but the directory uses binary-arm instead. If there is a way around this, let me know and I'll give it another shot.

Mamona is an alternative OS ('ROM') for the NIT. In other words, you would need to install Mamona seperate on your SD card and use dual-boot, or erase Maemo OS. Ofcourse, you can also run Mamona is a VM first, or run E17 live CD or easy_e17.sh on a supported platform (e.g. Linux/x86 or Linux/amd64).

Yeah, I installed Mamona in the past and found it to be too incomplete to be very useful for anything other than test compiling packages.

I tried using the repository for deblet because someone mentioned that it might be possible to use the packages already compiled into ARM for E17 by the mamona project on deblet, so I tried it just to see if it could be done.

e17 should still be in my repository???

http://packages.linuxniche.net/deblet/pool/main/e/

I haven't removed them nor changed it in quite some time. Maybe you tried during an outage on my host?

Tags
debian, deblet, enlightenment