Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
In this thread, I would like people to post the names of Debian apps that they have found that run well on the tablets, or at least they are the best / fastest alternative you've found to provide a service you find valuable.

An example of the second kind of application (best alternative) would be the Kazehakase browser. It isn't as fast as MicroB, our built-in browser, but it can run Java applets and it seems somewhat faster than Iceweasel.

If you have posted programs elsewhere in the other Debian threads, it would probably be a good idea to re-post them here.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
I installed aMule which works well. I had to change the permissions of the folder it installed in to get it working, but working well now.

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Somewhere, most of the time.
gnubg, jester an othello clone and gnomesword all have worked well for me so far. Although I just started adding apps and plan on quite a few more.

mathematica 4

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
pdftk - to merge, split, encrypt, decrypt, watermark pdf files.
mp3info-gtgk - an mp3 taggerf with gui.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
In this thread, I would like people to post the names of Debian apps that they have found that run well on the tablets, or at least they are the best / fastest alternative you've found to provide a service you find valuable.

An example of the second kind of application (best alternative) would be the Kazehakase browser. It isn't as fast as MicroB, our built-in browser, but it can run Java applets and it seems somewhat faster than Iceweasel.

If you have posted programs elsewhere in the other Debian threads, it would probably be a good idea to re-post them here.
How did you install Kazehakase? Using Synaptic I receive an error that some packages can't be downloaded.

Thanks!

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by Maxoueb View Post
How did you install Kazehakase? Using Synaptic I receive an error that some packages can't be downloaded.

Thanks!
Debian>Programs>Applications>Terminal Emulators>X-Terminal as root (you need your password to get root access, the same password as you are using Hildon)>apt-get update, be patient, it takes 2-3 min.

Debian>Programs>Applications>Systems>Package Management>Synaptic Package Manager>(you need password again) choose Kazehakase and answer yes when asked about Marked all (that would choose Kazehakase and kazehakase greco), wait till successful change made.

Qole may have a different trick. That is how I did it.

bun

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 291 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Trier, Germany
vim with gtk interface works.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Maxoueb View Post
Yes, I had the same problem. I had to do "apt-get update" first ("Edit" -> "Reload Package Information" packages in Synaptic), and then, 17 minutes later, when it had finished updating, I tried again and it worked.

Last edited by qole; 2008-07-09 at 16:10.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
gnome-alsamixer

Tags
debian, deblet, easy debian