Notices

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by dnastase View Post
Colors, in general, are "de gustibus" (depend on one's taste). The optimal color is also highly dependent on the background color. So this one should be configurable.
Having seen a lot of subtitled movies, in which this is a similar problem, I'd say that the best result is:

White character, with a black halo (slight outline around the character). To achieve that, you wont be able to just use text, you'll probably have to make bitmaps/pixmaps of each character, with a 1 or 2 pixel black outline ... but it allows the white to stand out on light backgrounds.

Just my $.02

Using canoe I wasn't able to copy the osso-xterm file to /usr/bin/ Is this something I can do from xterm? I didn't think it would be a good idea to try to replace the xterm files while using it. Sorry if this is a simple question.

Second the call for source; I'd like to tinker with this!
One obvious enhancement: it'd be great if backspace had repeat.

As it is, this is making sshing into my cygwin box to run GNU Octave much more feasible. Thanks!
A little OT, but the N800 does awesome VNCing into a 1024x768 display. By rotating it, the 768 leaves just enough room for a scrollbar. (That's how I view plots from Octave.)

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York, US
Since I have a N810 now I don't really have the motivation to work on the transparent keyboard xterm.
Before I got it though I was working on a really transparent version (using cairo), which allowed for external creation of the way the keyboard was looking.
Unfortunately the N770 was too slow for real transparency.
Now that you threatened with the FSF I got the impulse I needed to at least see how fast it is on the N810.

So I installed the Chinook and tried to build the xterm. Unfortunately it's not just a matter of rebuilding with the new SDK. Since apparently the API changed, some porting will be necessary. Hopefully in a day or two I'll be done with it.

Daniel

The Following User Says Thank You to dnastase For This Useful Post:
Posts: 17 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Moscow
Thanx! Will try this too. But, anyway, why not upload sources???
I am always afraid use softwate w/o sources...
Do you plan release them?

P.S. Oh, do not work on OS2008... So, sources are really needed...

Last edited by gl00my; 2008-03-19 at 06:02.

First of all I want to apologize for the delay in releasing the sources. Outside of my control an almost year long interruption happened and by now probably nobody needs this anymore. Sorry.

But now I finally finished the OS2008 build. Please check: www.dnastase.info/nokia_tablet/os2008/index.htm.

I hope it's still useful to somebody.

Daniel

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dnastase For This Useful Post:
Posts: 51 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
Nobody needs this anymore? Are you kidding? All of us N800 people still need it!

I'd love to see this functionality replace the regular full-screen thumb-board in fact.
Chat & Pidgin for example, email, just about anything in fact.

Originally Posted by dgec View Post
Nobody needs this anymore?
I haven't tried it yet, but I've been wanting this since I heard about it a while ago. So thanks many times over!

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Thanks a million for this! I've diffed your changes and applied them to the modded xterm I did (which seems to be a higher version :/ but smaller in function compared to this) and the keyboard works beautifully!

My script to disable the hildon keyboard on N800 helps though :

#!/bin/sh

GC=`gconftool-2 --get /system/osso/af/keyboard-attached`

if [ x$GC = xfalse ]; then
gconftool-2 --set -t bool /system/osso/af/keyboard-attached true
else
gconftool-2 --set -t bool /system/osso/af/keyboard-attached false
fi

Last edited by qwerty12; 2009-01-19 at 15:42.

Excellent! I'm glad you're using my changes, I won't have too much time to maintain this.
Two things:
- I have also sound support in my changes but it was commented out. The current executable on my website has it enabled. Not the sources though but it's just a matter of commenting in 3 function defs and a fn call. Pls tell me if you cant' figure it out.
- From your nice snapshots it looks like the transparency could be a little bit more.
I've posted on my website another tkbd.png file which is more transparent. Could you pls give it a try. (I mostly tested on white background, on black it seems a diff story)

Thanks,
Daniel

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dnastase For This Useful Post: