Notices

I'd love to see a daemon that would monitor for a good wifi connection (with data throughput, not just connection state) and switch 3g off at that point to save some battery.

A settings daemon that is fully location aware like Locale for Android would be even better, but the wifi thing would be quick and dirty and reap some immediate benefits in terms of battery life.

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Seattle, WA
You can just put a script to turn off 3G in the if-up.d folder. See http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=43907 for something along the same lines.

Posts: 754 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by maysys View Post
I'd love to see a daemon that would monitor for a good wifi connection (with data throughput, not just connection state) and switch 3g off at that point to save some battery.
Ive attached the setting we already have on the N900 , wont that suffice ? what exactly did you mean by "with data throughput, not just connection state"

Originally Posted by maysys View Post
A settings daemon that is fully location aware like Locale for Android would be even better, but the wifi thing would be quick and dirty and reap some immediate benefits in terms of battery life.
making a location aware daemon itself will consume some battery all the time , so you may end up not saving anything at all in the end, if thats the intent ?
Attached Images

Travelapp - london underground status/planner ( website )
Batlevel - desktop widget for battery level ( website )

“I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”