Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
Totally offtopic, but about a week ago my workmate asked me if I could set her Android Phone not to show all Whatsapp media in Gallery app. For people who use Whatsapp a lot, eg. many big group chats or so, the amount of transferred media is just enormous.

I did some google searching, and found three "solutions". First one is to put a file called .nomedia to Whatsapp media folders. This might have been working like years ago, but looks like it doesn't work anymore. Another "solution" is to hide Whatsapp media folders using some file browser etc, which prevents displaying any Whatsapp media in Gallery. Nevertheless, it doesn't prevent Whatsapp from downloading all the content, and also makes removing those media files more difficult for an average user. The last one is to disable automatic media download from Whatsapp settings. Which prevents you also to watch the media. And when you want to see them, you need also download them, which is not a solution at all.

Great job, Whatsapp.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by Koiruus View Post
I did some google searching, and found three "solutions". First one is to put a file called .nomedia to Whatsapp media folders. This might have been working like years ago, but looks like it doesn't work anymore.
Are you sure it doesn't work? I think that would prevent it indexing new content added to that folder, but I wouldn't expect it to remove already indexed files from the database.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
folders with .nomedia get ignored completely from most media viewers/players. Even if it was indexed before. I'm using the same trick on my bravia.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
I really need to find a way to express more clearly what I consider a "replaceable battery".

I mean a battery that I can swap out "on the road" without any tools.
Like with the N900: pry off back cover, take out old battery, insert new one, reattach cover
Or with my old laptop: unlock lock switch, hold back spring switch, take out battery, snap in new battery, lock lock switch

I can't do that with any of the Librem laptops (or a lot of "modern" laptops for that matter). I need at least a screw driver for that which in turn means I wouldn't want to do that in a crowded rocking train where I'd lose half of the screws in the process.
That's what I'm afraid of will also be the case for the Librem 5.
Like this.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ka9yhd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Are you sure it doesn't work? I think that would prevent it indexing new content added to that folder, but I wouldn't expect it to remove already indexed files from the database.
I tried this earlier on my girlfriend's Android phone, and she said that it didn't work. Of course it's possible that I messed something up.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
I just backed this campaign.

Hopefully they make the 1.5M to start/continue the project properly.

They will return money if 1.5M is not raised but I rather loose my money to give them a shot of doing some good in the mobile market. We will get the linux phone someday. Hopefully its already this project.

Edit:
Actually no money is taken if goal is not met.

https://puri.sm/shop/librem-5/ and "updates":

"if you back the campaign using a credit card, we only pre-authorize your card; we will not (and cannot) charge your card until we cross the goal. Which means, you get to show your support early and get all the other "wait-and-see" folks to pile on! Feel free to back this campaign now (and pay later). Be the change you want to see!"

Last edited by KylliOrvokki; 2017-09-08 at 12:06.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to KylliOrvokki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
I think I will back this project. I hate to say it but one of the reasons is that this company is located in the US an is more likely to provide good service here. One of my biggest gripes against Jolla is that their phones, as beautiful as they are, never had the proper frequencies to be fully functional in US. Even the Nokia N9 worked well in US although it was not sold or supported here.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
I plan to support them too but I will wait until pay week. I really hope the success! Like I said before they have HW skills already cause they already selling laptops. That was not the case of canonical and similar campaigns. So let's hope...

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
I've been considering backing this project too. I'm somewhat sceptical on whether they can deliver and I have my doubts as to whether they will reach their goal.

Firstly, their campaign is dishonest:

A fully standards-based freedom-oriented system, based on Debian and many other upstream projects, has never been done before–we will be the first to seriously attempt this.
How about the Neo Freerunner, GTA04 and Neo900? They are aware of the Neo900 project's existence as I mentioned it to them when filled in the Librem phone survey they put out several months ago. Their hardware design that separates the baseband from the CPU and has hardware kill switches is clearly influenced by the Neo900. I find it rather cheeky of them to claim to be the first.

Their campaign contains buzzwords that don't make any sense. WTF is "IP-native mobile handset" supposed to mean?

Another major concern for me is the lack of prototyping in their product schedule. They talk about one "dev board" and one "production board". Hardware development is not the same as software development. You can't just update a line of code if it fails to compile. Their campaign doesn't tell me that they have a lot of experience in developing this sort of hardware, thus it doesn't inspire me with much confidence. The Neo900 team had Openmoko experience. These guys have laptop experience. Is that really the same? As far as I'm aware, most phone manufacturers produce several prototypes before delivering a final product. I know Nokia did.

Having said all of that, this is the only project I've seen since the Neo900 which closely fulfils my requirements for a mobile phone. It's not explicitly stated what kernel will be used but it is somewhat implied that it will be based on mainline Linux when they say you'll be able to run most GNU/Linux distributions. They do state that they plan to provide patches to upstream projects although there is no explicit mention of the kernel.

My main fear would be if I back it, they reach their goal, but they fail to deliver. $600 is significantly more money than what the Neo900 guys asked for, and for the reasons stated above, I've less confidence in the Librem phone succeeding than the Neo900. It's not everyday I find phone that would meet my requirements. Do I take a punt?

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
Another major concern for me is the lack of prototyping in their product schedule. They talk about one "dev board" and one "production board". Hardware development is not the same as software development. You can't just update a line of code if it fails to compile. Their campaign doesn't tell me that they have a lot of experience in developing this sort of hardware, thus it doesn't inspire me with much confidence. The Neo900 team had Openmoko experience. What do these guys have? As far as I'm aware, most phone manufacturers produce several prototypes before delivering a final product. I know Nokia did.
In some interview they said it is based on https://puri.sm/products/librem-11/ tablet.

So they have some HW skills at least.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post: