Sachin: Well, I think I attained partial success. The system I set up following your advice actually discovered my playlist entries and attempted to connect with each of the URL's in turn, in an endless loop.

The general error messages after each try seemed to be as follows:

alsa-lib: pcm.c:2099: (snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM a2dpd2
alsa-init: playback open error: No such file or directory
Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
Audio: no sound
Video: no video

Does this make any sense to you?

Sachin: Further information and questions:

1. I've followed your instructions using ssh and from root, not user.

2. My further studying of your instructions leads me to an assumption (hopefully erroneous) that I must enter the full "mplayer..." command line in xterm EVERY TIME I want to listen to internet radio with Bluetooth!

3. The toggling instruction for advancing to another internet radio site by pressing "caps" and selecting ">" makes me think that I have to stay in xterm while all this streaming is going on in order to have access to the keyboard for this action.

Is this procedure really how it is intended to work? I suspect my understanding of it is significantly faulty.

Sachin: Some progress. I went into my N800 as user (not root) via ssh and ran the command line and indeed got the first radio channel in my playlist. (It sounded great.) However, the "(caps) (>)" key combination failed to shift to the next channel on my playlist (or any following channels). Also, I still am concerned that I need to be continually in x-term to operate this, and retype the command each time (although with ssh I didn't at least have to do that). But anyway, it was quite satisfying to have it work with the first channel. Thanks for your advice. But I'm greedy -- I want more. Regards.

Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
Sachin: Some progress. I went into my N800 as user (not root) via ssh and ran the command line and indeed got the first radio channel in my playlist. (It sounded great.) However, the "(caps) (>)" key combination failed to shift to the next channel on my playlist (or any following channels). Also, I still am concerned that I need to be continually in x-term to operate this, and retype the command each time (although with ssh I didn't at least have to do that). But anyway, it was quite satisfying to have it work with the first channel. Thanks for your advice. But I'm greedy -- I want more. Regards.
Sachin: I've experimented a bit more. I removed "cache 1000" from the command line (an option you gave me) and still operating as user in ssh, the first internet station in my playlist again came in fine. And for the first time, the toggle command (shift->) worked. I could toggle to other stations in the playlist. However, the radio signals were constantly starting-and-stopping every few seconds. I switched back to putting "cache 1000" in the command, and the signal quality of my first station seemed much improved (it wasn't being interrupted), but I again couldn't toggle between stations. Then, when I again removed "cache 1000", I could get my first station -- but the toggle this time wouldn't work. So I've now reinserted "cache 1000" and am enjoying at least my first station. However, of course, to do this I have to sit at my keyboard! Regards.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Good to hear that you finally got it workiing. First and foremost i want to tell you that i have no idea about linux or mplayer. For that matter i am just a doctor with not much knowledge in linux. Whatever i learnt was through trial and error and going through the mplayer manual.
So feel free to experiment on various settings and also let me know if you learn something new.
Well coming to the point... What i do is...
First make a playlist of all radio channels and store it as i mentioned. Then cope the entire code into the notes app and save it there. Now first open kaju and activate bluetooth and minimise it. Now open the notes app and copy the code from the note to the clipboard. This code is going to be in the clipboard until you copy something else or switch off the device. So i dont need to open the note always. Then open xterm and paste the code. It should work that way. And both kaju and xterm have to be running all the time. Actually i minimise kaju but keep xterm open because it shows up the stream info which i would like to see and also toggle the next stream. I really dont undersatnd why the next button is not working. But did you make a playlst of all the rado statons? This you can do using winamp in yout computer and transferrng that playlist file into the device memory or you can also do it with the built in media player in n800. For that you need ti get all your internet streams in the now playing list and then go to menu> tools> save now plaing playlist as ..... and save it in device memory.
OKay try these out and let me knOw.

Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
Good to hear that you finally got it workiing. First and foremost i want to tell you that i have no idea about linux or mplayer. For that matter i am just a doctor with not much knowledge in linux. Whatever i learnt was through trial and error and going through the mplayer manual.
Sachin: For that matter I am "just a lawyer," with perhaps a bit more knowledge in Linux, the study of which I have found fascinating and most rewarding. I first got interested in Linux when I bought my initial 770. I then studied a number of books, loaded several different Linux distributions on my PC hard-drive, then to cap it off took a local community college on-line basic Linux course, which was very, very worthwhile. But I still regard myself as a novice among most of the others in this forum.

Anyway, your most recent message triggered further experimentation on my part, which you intended. I don't think I need to follow your several suggestions for copying my playlist of internet stations, as I've already done that in accord with your earlier instructions and put it into my /home/user directory as radiochannels.m3u, which I incorporated into my command line, also per your earlier instructions. So, I believe it's now permanently there for ready access.

As I reported, I was doing most of my work in this (and other regards) on my PC, getting into my N800 user and root directories using ssh. And that's where I encountered the several problems I reported.

Now, however, I've had perfect success with your hack by solely reverting to my N800 using x-term. Tapping the "Ctrl-p" button on the sidebar of the x-term window, I was able to move up to your command line (which remained there from my previous ssh work). My playlist internet stations all now come in clear, and the "Cap->" keyboard key works fine to toggle the stations. (While I can't find instructions yet on the web -- or this forum --on what the other x-term sidebar buttons do, when I tapped "Ctrl-ap" and "Ctrl-an," they also seemed to toggle the stations.) As for saving the command line (other than using "Ctrl-p" to move up to it), I don't know how to copy-and-paste in and out of x-term. I know it must be simple to do, but, again, I can't find any x-term instructions.

Anyway, all is working well -- and quite manageable for me, thanks to all your above guidelines. Thanks and regards.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
WWell thanks for ths ctrl-ap tip. I did not know that. This is how we should learn. Anyway
regarding copay and pasting...... whEn u open xterm you can press the top part for the
menu>edit>paste. alternatively you can press the note icon with lines on the far lower
left hand corner of the virtual keyboard just below the arrow and select paste!!

Regarding video streams i found an interesting observation. Please try this and explain what is going on here....
If you put a shoutcast video stream url directly in xterm along with the mplayer command the video starts and stutters a lot. It is almost unwatchable. But one rather interesting thing is if you follow the url with the -ao command it plays very well although in a slow motion without sound. It is quite watchable if you can increase the cache. Now the perfect thing would be if we can get the sound along with the picture. Try it out and let me know
know
know
ell thanks for ths ctrl-ap tip. I did not know that. This is how we should learn. Anyway regarding copay and pasting...... whEn u open xterm you can press the top part for the menu>edit>paste. alternatively you can press the note icon with lines on the far lower left hand corner of the virtual keyboard just below the arrow and select paste!!

Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
...Regarding copay and pasting...... when u open xterm you can press the top part for the menu>edit>paste. alternatively you can press the note icon with lines on the far lower left hand corner of the virtual keyboard just below the arrow and select paste!!
Sachin: Thanks for pointing me to these alternative x-term copy-and-paste methods. They're so obvious that I'm embarrassed not to have intuited them myself. A partial explanation is my past reliance more on ssh for editing my N800 files than using x-term directly.

Now that I've (we've) sorted out my minor difficulties with implementing your Bluetooth internet radio hack, it has become so easy to use, with such good signal quality, that I suggest you detail it again in a separate thread, so as to make it more noticeable and available to others, who may not have had the patience to pursue our lengthy(!) exchange on the subject.

Regarding video streams i found an interesting observation. Please try this and explain what is going on here....
If you put a shoutcast video stream url directly in xterm along with the mplayer command the video starts and stutters a lot. It is almost unwatchable. But one rather interesting thing is if you follow the url with the -ao command it plays very well although in a slow motion without sound. It is quite watchable if you can increase the cache. Now the perfect thing would be if we can get the sound along with the picture. Try it out and let me know
know.
I have not previously tried anything with video, and I'm a bit loathe to as I don't want to load anything on my memory cards, which seem a bit fragile, but so far are uncorrupted. However, your url system would seem not to require such an mmc usage. I'm not certain, though, just how to go about implementing what you describe. Can you be more explicit and detailed, as you were with the internet radio streaming technique? Again, many thanks for your help -- and accomplishment.

Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
Sachin: ...(While I can't find instructions yet on the web -- or this forum --on what the other x-term sidebar buttons do, when I tapped "Ctrl-ap" and "Ctrl-an," they also seemed to toggle the stations.) ...
Sachin: A slight mistake in the above. The "Ctrl-ap" and "Ctrl-an" keys in fact only toggle to the beginning of the playlist, not up and down within the playlist as I initially thought, and reported to you. However, I understand that some if not all of these x-term sidebar keys can be reprogrammed, so one could put the "Cap->" command into one of them for easy toggling within the playlist, and therefore maintain a full x-term screen (without keyboard) of broadcast information.

Sachin: Have you seen this new thread?

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=9753