Active Topics

didnt read the link. is the writer american? because everyone in the US seems to think Nokia is dead.

Posts: 322 | Thanked: 305 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
To OP, we would have to register with ft.com to read the article, could you perhaps copy and paste all/a bit more of the story so we dont have to register to read it?

The title mentions something about Nokia is failing to compete with Apple, to be fair Nokia's strategy is moving further away from the smartphone market and more to it's strength in selling feature rich "cheaper" phones and so-called dumbphones to the lower end of the market and countries with developing markets.
This is true but the big money is in high-end phones and that is what investors and shareholders are interested in. There needs to be a good strategy also for the high-end and for this year symbian^3 seems to be a big question.

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
Originally Posted by roger_27 View Post
didnt read the link. is the writer american? because everyone in the US seems to think Nokia is dead.
lol... why don't you read the article for yourself to determine if what is being said in it is well sound?

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
How could Nokia be left behind when it is still selling more phones than any other company? As far as technology goes, everyone is in agreement that Japanese phones are the most advanced in the world yet most of them run Symbian. This Symbian hating is getting a bit old.

Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
This is FUD

Nokia is doing pretty well given the fact that their smartphone lineup is mediocre at best. N97, X6, 5800 are all equipped with slow processors and the symbian UI is still laborious to use.
By the end of the year nokia will compete at the high-end again. N900 shows they can do it. With a revamped symbian ui they will be able to dominate the mid and low-end smartphone market.
So far I like their business strategy.

Cheers

Originally Posted by x61 View Post
lol... why don't you read the article for yourself to determine if what is being said in it is well sound?
well what I meant was, I saw the article, but I do know the writer's country of origin based of his name. marija or something. so I was asking is anyone knows if the writer is american, becauase Americans wouldn't know a good phone if it walked up to them, slapped them in the face and said "Hello. I'm a good phone".

Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
Nokia is doing pretty well given the fact that their smartphone lineup is mediocre at best. N97, X6, 5800 are all equipped with slow processors and the symbian UI is still laborious to use.
By the end of the year nokia will compete at the high-end again. N900 shows they can do it. With a revamped symbian ui they will be able to dominate the mid and low-end smartphone market.
So far I like their business strategy.

Cheers
all thats tuff u said i can some what agree to it.. but really when u mention aout N900 & your very specific comment up there that Nokia can do it...really do what??
For crying out loud everyone knows even here at this very forum that how disappointed the users are specialy for N900, imnot even considering the flagship device N97.
Really Nokia did it with N900?? till this moment I reallyhave no idea what the hell is their strategy, i mean other companies are shoing more porfit and tghe 1st qrt of the year over nokia, & yet Nokia is testing waters and leaving loyal customers very disappointed. And then on top of that we've got peeps like u who have their head burried in the sand and dreaming in the lala land with a $600+ hardware with abodulte no software power. I mean if you think imjust blowing smoke lets not go too far just check out the P.r update thread on this forumn and ull know how well nokia is doing to keep their N900 users happy.
So let's not talk about if the writer is American or Armenian listen to what he is saying & its not false info .

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I agree that smartphone market doesn't make up a significant portion of Nokia's marketshare and that they (may be) doing ok with the rest of their portfolio(?)...

But no one can deny that the highend (smart)phone market is a significant part of the mobile game. It's where the prestige is, it's where they all showcase new technologies and where we see the most developments at these days. It would be great if Nokia can trickle some of those down to their mid-low end products with s^3 and meego, but still this is not a market to ignore.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
N900 shows they can do it.

Cheers
Seriously, the only thing N900 has shown the non-developer/geek world is:
- Nokia can make the thickest smartphone on the market and give it a poor battery life and average keyboard (E71 KB being the benchmark)
- they are willing to push out software which is not quite ready
- They put little effort in making sure the entire phone experience is consistent (both in quality and UI design)
- provide no decent development platform tools/documentation for developers to write apps with. Great for hardcore linux developers, screw everyone else
- Nokia's pride "OVI" is not even fully supported on n900. OVI sync doesn't work.

The only thing they actually showed with the n900 is they can make an awesome phone for developers and linux geeks

Tags
fud, fud-ohwait-not, just shoot me, open source