Active Topics

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Wonder how much Jolla earns per device. 100 Eur?
I would be very surprised if it were that much.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I would be very surprised if it were that much.
At this point it's closer to 169 euro, no? It's all stock, so either they pay for warehouse to house those, or get that 169 euro instead (no advertising budget at this point, factory finished its run, maybe DHL gets a cut of it)

ok, there is still exchange license and myriad probably still takes a cut from each phone, but 150?

Last edited by szopin; 2015-11-17 at 22:20.

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
At this point it's closer to 169 euro, no? It's all stock, so either they pay for warehouse to house those, or get that 169 euro instead (no advertising budget at this point, factory finished its run, maybe DHL gets a cut of it)

ok, there is still exchange license and myriad probably still takes a cut from each phone, but 150?
They had to pay to make them in the first place, did they not?

But yeah, we are in the speculation land. Again. Ho hum. I'll get me coat.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Dillon at slash with iPhone.
If Jolla employees used their own product as their primary phone, the company would have folded long ago. For most of its life it's been about as useful as a brick from a business perspective. Not greatly better even now.

But then again, if they used their own product, then maybe some of the ridiculously long-lived absent features or bugs would have been remedied sooner and with some sense of urgency ...

Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
If Jolla employees used their own product as their primary phone, the company would have folded long ago. For most of its life it's been about as useful as a brick from a business perspective. Not greatly better even now.

But then again, if they used their own product, then maybe some of the ridiculously long-lived absent features or bugs would have been remedied sooner and with some sense of urgency ...
I have to disagree... my Jolla would be much better than my Android phone at work - proper IMAP4 email client that actually deletes/moves emails when I do it on the phone, as opposed to Android's client which can only deal with 25 emails at a time and seldom synchronises them; native caldav support, as opposed to none from Android; native carddav support, as opposed to none from Android; native XMPP support, as opposed to none from Android.

Admittedly, some of the features were added relatively recently to SFOS, but that's much better than never or "you have to download an \o/ app \o/ that will store your password on some obscure server and give you a completely different user experience just because".

If you're wondering whether I work for a smallish company that uses all these open protocols, you have every right to do so as most small companies won't rely on m$'s email/directory services; but you would be wrong in my case. So, the Jolla is pretty good for big and small businesses, so long as they don't use heavily customised stuff such as google email and whatnot.

EDIT and PS: I learned my lesson and will move to iOS, which is far superior in terms of business than Android; sadly, my company doesn't offer Jolla as a business phone.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
The Jolla e-mail client is a total POS, from every perspective. Speed, UI, lack of features, bugs? CalDAV / CardDAV - a more than year long and still extremely inconsistent 'beta'?

What's more, there's no alternative. It's only beaten by the Browser in terms of being bare bones.

The Following User Says Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
The Jolla e-mail client is a total POS, from every perspective. Speed, UI, lack of features, bugs? CalDAV / CardDAV - a more than year long and still extremely inconsistent 'beta'?

What's more, there's no alternative. It's only beaten by the Browser in terms of being bare bones.
Nothing is perfect, but have you checked the competition and are you going to tell me that Android is better at providing 1/4 of the features that I least I use?

If we bring iOS into the picture, things get slightly better, although they don't have XMPP, the email address has one or two more features, but crashes constantly (or at least did when I used it last...), consumes all the battery in PUSH mode. caldav/carddav was ok-ish - at least I can go and hack the config in SFOS.

Overall, I prefer Sailfish, or I wouldn't mind giving BB a go, but if I'll be married to them for the next 2 year contract I'd rather be with something I know better, so my options would be SFOS > iOS >>>>>>>>>>> Some old Palm if I can find it > Android

The Jolla e-mail client is a total POS, from every perspective.
I have to disagree. Or rather agree with the first half but disagree with the "from every perspective" part. The email client is indeed very barebone and has some missing features and glaring faults, but what little it does it does quite well. Not exactly "good" but "good enough". The only thing that I really miss is the totally messed up folder management.

Please note that unlike Browser, Email is not a core application. The phone came without it. The way I read it is that Jolla has provided it only because they had to, but they would rather someone else who knows how to write email clients write a better one. That it has not happened in two years is Jolla's fault only partially, by failing to make the platform attractive enough to professional app developers.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Please note that unlike Browser, Email is not a core application.
Disagree fully here. Email, as it stands, is a part of the perks that come with the Internet. It's a part of communication and participation.

It's an essential part of the Internet. The rise of social media is just an altered form of email - it still is just a message to/fro individuals, but are more public. Anything grander in discussion than that is just semantics. It's a way to address a person or party, respond. And it should be a core part of any Internet accessible device that facilitates communication.

The phone came without it. The way I read it is that Jolla has provided it only because they had to, but they would rather someone else who knows how to write email clients write a better one.
Third party support should have been pursued more heavily. That gap is starting to be a problem now instead.

That it has not happened in two years is Jolla's fault only partially, by failing to make the platform attractive enough to professional app developers.
Agree here. But Jolla provided the platform, the marketing provided the words, the 3rd party support should have been chased down, the geeks argued about... well, whatever they wanted to argue about (shell, browser, vi, other ********). Momentum was wasted in my estimation, no matter who you wish to blame.

How to fix now? Participation and understanding that a platform that fits our want for freedom is right there, but it needs participation and actually resolving problems as encountered and finally learning how to think about other use cases that don't fit your need but are as important as your own personal uses. Folks think only of themselves too damn much (i.e. "It's not a problem for me") and it's showing.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Disagree fully here. Email, as it stands, is a part of the perks that come with the Internet. It's a part of communication and participation.
That makes it "important", "inevitable", "essential", bla bla bla, but not "core".

I could not find any official definition of a "core application" so maybe it is not the best term I could use but IMO a core application is something the OS cannot live without. Not necessarily something the user cannot live without.

Admittedly Jolla's choice of core applications seems rather random. To this day I do not understand why you cannot unistall Tutorial.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla bolla